GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, sorta.

Apparently a new bulliten has come out for the 2010 DI 2.4s to help "cover" up some of the noise from the HPFP. Its literally a cover for the HPFP.

We took it in because the last few tanks of gas we have been getting subpar MPG and a discrepancy from what the DIC reports to what we calculate. One tank was 17% off and it was averaging 12% low the last 5 tanks. Of course, the dealership just looked at the DIC and said the MPG was normal and discarded the manual calculations. Plus, the car is hestating a tad just like it did last time the HPFP needed to be changed.

Then, they suggested using ECO for highway driving to up the MPG. D'oh.

Also, Im getting the afterblow module turned on due to excessive stinkiness from the AC.

·
Registered
449 Posts
bballr4567 said:
Well, sorta.

Apparently a new bulliten has come out for the 2010 DI 2.4s to help "cover" up some of the noise from the HPFP. Its literally a cover for the HPFP.

We took it in because the last few tanks of gas we have been getting subpar MPG and a discrepancy from what the DIC reports to what we calculate. One tank was 17% off and it was averaging 12% low the last 5 tanks. Of course, the dealership just looked at the DIC and said the MPG was normal and discarded the manual calculations. Plus, the car is hestating a tad just like it did last time the HPFP needed to be changed.

Then, they suggested using ECO for highway driving to up the MPG. D'oh.

Also, Im getting the afterblow module turned on due to excessive stinkiness from the AC.
Can you define stinkiness?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Dealer put the high pressure fuel pump shield on my terrain a few weeks ago for the noise. Helped some, but not as quiet as I would like.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
mwmacintosh said:
Dealer put the high pressure fuel pump shield on my terrain a few weeks ago for the noise. Helped some, but not as quiet as I would like.
I am glad to hear that your concern has been addressed. Please feel free to contact me in the future if you have any other questions or concerns. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
islaguy said:
Can you define stinkiness?
Its a mold/mildew smell. It would go away if we turned on the fan the last mile of our drive but that is just a PITA to do everytime and the afterblow will solve the issue. We had the exact same thing happen with our 08 Malibu. The humid weather just doesnt allow the condenser to dry out fast enough to inhibit growth.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I took my Terrain in yesterday for the rattle noise. They installed the cover, but there was NO improvement. Is the rattling you all are referring to happening on acceleration @ 1500, 2500 RPM?
This noise is driving me nuts. My vehicle sounds like a mini diesel!!!!

·
Registered
749 Posts
Anyone have the bulletin number?

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I will get it when we go in. Still waiting on the dealership.

·
Registered
5 Posts
bballr4567 said:
I will get it when we go in. Still waiting on the dealership.
Bulletin #
11-06-01-002

Has this noise problem started for most of you after 6 months or 10,000 miles? That is when I noticed the change. Before that I didn't have any noise issues.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
finnsliz said:
I took my Terrain in yesterday for the rattle noise. They installed the cover, but there was NO improvement. Is the rattling you all are referring to happening on acceleration @ 1500, 2500 RPM?
This noise is driving me nuts. My vehicle sounds like a mini diesel!!!!
Do you have a case with customer assistance regarding this concern? I would like to look into this further for you. In order to do so, I will need some more specific information from you. If you could please send me your full name, address, phone number, the VIN for the vehicle, current mileage, and the name of the dealership that you are working with via private message, I will be able to take further steps. Thank you again and I look forward to hearing from you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I too have been battling the HPFP noise issue with my dealership. Been there 3 times and had the insulator put on. Wife drove it the day after and the noise is still there. They said its "normal" and there is nothing more they can do. They basically told me to deal with it and leave. I asked them to bring a new Terrain from the lot back to service and listen to it next to mine. They said there was no difference when obviously there was. I went to Service Mgr. and he told me the same thing and walked back to his air conditioned glass cube. I politely told them I was disappointed with their service, their product, and would take my business elsewhere. Anybody have any options? I feel like we are backed into a corner with about 60 more payments left.

B.D. from FL

·
Registered
341 Posts
bmdavis said:
I too have been battling the HPFP noise issue with my dealership. Been there 3 times and had the insulator put on. Wife drove it the day after and the noise is still there. They said its "normal" and there is nothing more they can do. They basically told me to deal with it and leave. I asked them to bring a new Terrain from the lot back to service and listen to it next to mine. They said there was no difference when obviously there was. I went to Service Mgr. and he told me the same thing and walked back to his air conditioned glass cube. I politely told them I was disappointed with their service, their product, and would take my business elsewhere. Anybody have any options? I feel like we are backed into a corner with about 60 more payments left.

B.D. from FL
The truth of the matter is (unfortunately) you are simply customer x out of XXXXXXXXXXXXX - once you've signed the papers, the once "I'll do whatever you want me to" staff seems to behave a bit differently (especially when problems arise). I think it's going to boil down to how loud you want your voice to be heard, (e.g. service manager complaint equals clearing of throat; writing GM district manager equals yelling from across the table; and BBB complaint + all the aforementioned equals screaming at the top of your lungs!)

In any event, good luck and tell us how it goes - good or bad....

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
bmdavis said:

B.D. from FL
That"I'll take my business elsewhere" works everytime....They already know that you don't want to come back so why would they want to do anything for you.
Try the procedure outlined in your manual It mmay just work for you...

·
Registered
193 Posts
The 4 cyl has a noisy direct injection system, that is why it has the active noise cancelling and the V6 doesn't.

Sorry, thats just the way it is...

·
Registered
432 Posts
^ i disagree. that noise we are getting from the HPFP is much more than the rapid ticking from the Direct Injection. Plain and simple. Much louder and way more metallic pinging than the tic tic tic tic from the DI

·
Registered
5 Posts
I took my Terrain to anther dealership after I was told the noise I was hearing was "normal". The second dealership told me what I was hearing was NOT normal and the noise I was experiencing was gone after they reprogramed something in the car's computer. (sorry I am so not tech/motor stuff savvy) Externally my engine is still loud and that is the noise that service people are assuming you are complaining about. Find a dealership that will listen to you.
Also... my external engine noise gets so much worse when my ac is on. Anyone else noticing this?

·
Registered
978 Posts
dishdude said:
The 4 cyl has a noisy direct injection system, that is why it has the active noise cancelling and the V6 doesn't.

Sorry, thats just the way it is...
ANC was NOT installed for "noisy direct injection..."

Sorry, but this is the way it really is...

from the horse's mouth...

If a customer knows the vehicle has ANC, it may be a common misperception that ANC is not working because the engine still makes noise. The ANC module only cancels particular frequencies of noise caused by transmission lockup. It is meant to bring the engine noise back to an acceptable level, not create a noise-free environment, such as noise-cancelling headphones[/color]

·
Registered
2 Posts
So we took our Terrain for a 2nd opinion at another dealership. They too heard the noise but were unable to do more than the insulator that was already installed by the first dealership. They said they would keep the issue on file and see if any of the field reps. or service engineers know of anything coming down from GM. The 2nd dealership didn't do anything more than the first, but the way in which we were treated made all the difference. We will be taking our business to the new dealer.

We also had several calls from GMC customer service which finally became annoying, telemarketing type calls because they told us there was nothing that could be done as well. One guy actually hung up on my wife mid call.

Purchased at: Schumacher GMC, "where every customer is just a number"

1 - 20 of 24 Posts