GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am preparing to put a new high pressure fuel pump on my 2011 Terrain with 2.4 engine. I see that there is a tool for measuring the depth before you install the new one. It is part number EN48896. It's rather expensive for something that will only have a 1 time use for me. Is there a way to simply measure the depth ? If so what is that measurement. Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
The measurement is not complicated but must be done correctly.

The idea here is you must have the lowest part of the cam lobe pointed to the hole where the fuel pump slides in and is bolted down.
You can slide a wood dowel rod in the hole, rest it on the cam lobe, turn the engine over by hand and watch the cam lobe go up and down.

When your dowel rod is as far in the the engine as it will go, while turning it over, the cam lobe heel or lowest part is facing the fuel pump.
This is where you bolt down the new fuel pump.

Reactions: DanT and bigb12359

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I think I can handle that. Is the engine fairly easy to turn over. Any suggestions on that ? Thanks

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
It will be easy to turn over if you pull the spark plugs, a good time to put new ones in.
Even with the $70 tool you are going to have to turn over the engine to find base circle before installing the new pump.

Reactions: DanT and bigb12359

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again.Your response has been very helpful. I do most of my own repairs and maintenance but these cars just get more complicated year after year. This looks fairly straight forward though and with your help I think I can get through it :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts