GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While backing out of a parking place and slowly moving forward, I was very aware of a high pitch screech noise.
As the tires rolled ,the noise was, screech,screech,screech. I stepped hard on the brakes and it stopped.

Now what? As of yet, dealer can't figure out why my terrain creeks while coming to stops and accelerating.

Now have tac involved and customer assist. Every week or two, it's something new. This is so frustrating. :banghead:

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
As I have gotten to know you on this forum, I can understand your frustration. I am glad to see that they are working towards resolution regarding this concern. Please keep me posted on the progress. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
682 Posts
It sounds like you may have had a small piece of stone caught in the brakes and when you applied the brakes it either ejected the piece or crushed it into smaller pieces that fell out. I am not sure of where you are located but if it is in a location where you have the roads being sanded during the winter it is not unusual to have this happen. Hope this helps as for the creaking noise it might be a bad bushing on a shock or stabilizer bar. Best of luck finding the problem.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The screech / squeak is very common in the Equinox in the Chicago area. I too have this problem. I swapped out rotors and pads and and the screech / squeak came back. I notice the outer rim of the rotor does not wear and wonder if this is the problem. The brake pad makes contact with a majority of the middle portion of rotor, wears this area, and leaves a lip on the outer edge. I never seen this on any of my other cars. I was thinking of grinding this outer edge down and see if this eliminates the noise.

Is everyone else noticing this on their rotors?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Sounds like the rotor is rubbing on metal and not the brake pad. I havent looked at my NOX, but have had a similar problem with other cars. It is usually the metal on the back portion of the wheel assembly or the caliper brake pad clip is rubbing the rotor metal. Most of the time, it can be readjusted with your hands or a screw driver to move it out of the way. Have you tried lifting front of the car with the jack, remove the wheel and spin the rotor while the car is in neutral?

·
Registered
13 Posts
jcarm75 said:
Sounds like the rotor is rubbing on metal and not the brake pad. I havent looked at my NOX, but have had a similar problem with other cars. It is usually the metal on the back portion of the wheel assembly or the caliper brake pad clip is rubbing the rotor metal. Most of the time, it can be readjusted with your hands or a screw driver to move it out of the way. Have you tried lifting front of the car with the jack, remove the wheel and spin the rotor while the car is in neutral?
^^this^^

It's a not big deal... Just bend the tab on the pad slightly away from the rotor and you'll be fine.

Or just purchase a set of descent aftermarket brake pad and be done with it.

Fred

1 - 9 of 9 Posts