GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had my HIDs installed yesterday. Whenever the lights turn on the AC screen pops up and doesn't come off untill the lights shut off. I had a local shop install them for me. He said our cars don't need relays so they are not installed. Let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Our cars do need relays. If not they HIDs will flicker with the lower voltage that gets sent to the low beams for DRL use. Plenty of threads here about the issue. ;)

·
Registered
830 Posts
YES, we need relays.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya I'm not having a flickering problem.. Its with the AC screen coming up when the lights are one.

·
Registered
10,555 Posts
WD80PD said:
Ya I'm not having a flickering problem.. Its with the AC screen coming up when the lights are one.
Sounds like he may have screwed up something during the installation. Wouldn't think that the A/C should be related to the headlights, but I guess stranger things have happened.

·
Registered
468 Posts
We DO NOT need relays but we DO need the DRL fix (sealed capacitor). The shop must of screwed something in the easy install up for that to happen. Had my HID's in my nox for over a year now without any issues and without any relays. I dont know why that false info will not go away no matter how many times it was corrected by me and others who actually installed HID's into there NOX/Terrain.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've installed relays because of a personal choice but even without them it wouldn't be causing your AC to come up on the screen. More than likely the shop that installed the HIDs screwed up the wiring somehow.

cottonseed said:
We DO NOT need relays but we DO need the DRL fix (sealed capacitor). The shop must of screwed something in the easy install up for that to happen. Had my HID's in my nox for over a year now without any issues and without any relays. I dont know why that false info will not go away no matter how many times it was corrected by me and others who actually installed HID's into there NOX/Terrain.
One guy said the lights wouldn't work at all without the relays so I'm not sure how false that info is. Unless he screw up some wiring but not sure haha.

·
Registered
468 Posts
CanadianTerrain said:
One guy said the lights wouldn't work at all without the relays so I'm not sure how false that info is. Unless he screw up some wiring but not sure haha.
I had my HID's running in my NOX before most of the people on here even signed the dotted line to get theres. 60,000 miles and over a year later my HID's are still running strong without any relays. If they claim that you need the relays they did something wrong, or are confusing the relay box with the sealed cap box.
Relays = no
DRL fix (sealed capacitor) = yes

·
Registered
39 Posts
The more I read about HID lights for a Terrain the more I say - forget about it and stick with factory lights.

Relay vs no relay, capacitor vs no capacitor, high color temp vs low color temp, a kit for high beam and another one for low beam, flicker problems vs no flicker problems, voids your warrantee vs does not void your warrentee, blinding to oncoming traffic vs not blinding to oncoming traffic, 35w models vs 55w models, cheap low quality brands vs expensive brands, may get ripped off, and the grand daddy of em all...............you car can catch on fire!!!

What about fog; how do they work in those conditions?

Yep, as much as I thought they would be nice to have, you guys are convincing me otherwise.

:eek:

·
Registered
10,555 Posts
robterrain said:
The more I read about HID lights for a Terrain the more I say - forget about it and stick with factory lights.

Yep, as much as I thought they would be nice to have, you guys are convincing me otherwise.

To each their own... but it is not as complicated as you have made it out to be. Just do some reading on the forum, and then listen to the advice of Cottonseed !

·
Registered
978 Posts
And perhaps the most important Rule of ANY modification:

If you don't feel TOTALLY comfortable undertaking the task...don't

·
Registered
83 Posts
The same thing happens with my HID's also. I turn the lights off in the daytime anyway to lengthen the life of my bulb. I did not install the relays either.

·
Registered
170 Posts
+1

Seems to me there is enough confusion partly caused by the small number of brave owners who have tried. Many good intentions from people with experience but that doesn't mean is the right advise.

robterrain said:

Relay vs no relay, capacitor vs no capacitor, high color temp vs low color temp, a kit for high beam and another one for low beam, flicker problems vs no flicker problems, voids your warrantee vs does not void your warrentee, blinding to oncoming traffic vs not blinding to oncoming traffic, 35w models vs 55w models, cheap low quality brands vs expensive brands, may get ripped off, and the grand daddy of em all...............you car can catch on fire!!!

What about fog; how do they work in those conditions?

·
Registered
468 Posts
ToeNuttz said:
The same thing happens with my HID's also. I turn the lights off in the daytime anyway to lengthen the life of my bulb. I did not install the relays either.
What happens with your HID's?

·
Registered
83 Posts
My HID's turn on when I start my ride up. If it is in the day time, I just roll the switch and turn them off. Pretty simple realy. The AC display doesn't "pop" up all the time. But, when it does it is only in the day time. I don't have any problems at night.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I installed a 6500k into my 2011 Equinox. My friend tried installing it without the relays and nothing came on. He wired in the relays and then the bulbs worked. However, now my AC or heat temperature changes randomly and the lights flicker during the day. I understand that the flickering if because of the different voltage, but I thought that would be solved with having the relays in? I still want to have daytime running lamps so can this be fixed by adding a resistor in the wiring? Or has anyone else had similar issues on their 2011 equinox? I'm new to the forum but it looks like there are a LOT of people on here who know that they're talking about!

·
Registered
830 Posts
You need canbus fix. Capacitor. From who did you purchased your kit ? XenonDepot.com give them to you...

·
Registered
83 Posts
SuperMat64 said:
You need canbus fix. Capacitor. From who did you purchased your kit ? XenonDepot.com give them to you...
:thumb:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts