GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 2016 GMC Terrain. Crimson Red. 2.4/FWD. 46k miles. Never been a big fan of SUVs of any size, but needed a practical ride for commuting and hauling stuff/people around. This seemed to fit the bill and I like it a lot more than I thought I would. (y)

· Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 182k miles
4,736 Posts
Just bought a 2016 GMC Terrain. Crimson Red. 2.4/FWD. 46k miles. Never been a big fan of SUVs of any size, but needed a practical ride for commuting and hauling stuff/people around. This seemed to fit the bill and I like it a lot more than I thought I would. (y)
I hope you still like it a year from now ...

· Registered
2015 Equinox LT 2.4L AWD
328 Posts
Spend $15 to get a FC219 oil filler cap if it does not have one already. Check your oil often if you don't want a new engine.

· Registered
311 Posts
Should have stopped here first. At least you have a 2016. Do you know the history of this vehicle? I had a 2014 that I ran from with less than 20,000 miles when it started dumping gas into the oil.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to CarFax, it has had an excellent maintenance record with oil changes, etc. One of the main reasons I bought this one vs some others. I have a 2012 Chevy Malibu with the 2.4 and it has 165k miles, runs like a champ and does not burn oil at all. I always changed oil every 5k at dealership. I do understand that this 2016 version with GDI has some issues that the 2012 did not. I just ordered the FC219 oil filler cap for it from Amazon and will install that as soon as I get it. I may do oil changes a little more frequently as well.

· Registered
2012 terrain 2.4 ecotec flexer
105 Posts
Hope it came with maintenance history. The best advice for these 2.4 engines is to ignore the oil life monitor and change the oil every 3000 miles. Most if not all engine issues on these GDI engines is due to poor oil maintenance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts