GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is looking to get a new car and I think this one looks great and I want to buy American. Just wondering if the I-4 engine is strong enough or if we really need the V6... Also, if the FWD has a nice ride... I know there is a hit in MPG for the AWD... Any help will be appreciated... Anything we need to watch out for? Any problems? Thanks
PJ

·
Registered
58 Posts
PJ, I can't comment on the I-4 as I haven't driven it, but many on here say it performs well. Initially I had wanted the AWD but opted for the FWD to save some cash. The FWD has been amazing in the snow. With traction control and stabiltrack the FWD is adequate for 95% of people. Unless you do a lot of driving up to the ski hill, cabin or have some rough stretches of highway, the FWD should be fine. Unless you just want that "piece of mind".

My only complaint is the transmission is a little slow to accelerate due to the gear ratio that is tuned for fuel economy rather than performance. You can solve this by driving in manuel mode to release all 264 horses. Turning radius is a little to be desired as well.

IMO, if you're looking for a 5 seater, there isn't much better. If you need that extra row of seating, take a look a the Acadia or Enclave.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I can't comment on the I-4 either as I've never driven one. The V6 is plenty powerful - just don't be afraid to put your foot into it as it likes to rev.

As for the AWD, it really depends on the driving conditions where you live. I live in an area where there can be slippery conditions from November until about April so AWD was a no-brainer for me. I have yet to encounter any type of road conditions that the Terrain didn't seem like it was driving on dry pavement. Between the AWD, traction and stability control systems it handles like a dream all the time. Of course, AWD can make a bad driver even worse so don't think of it as invincibility. More of a safety feature that could get you out of harms way (ie a vehicle opposite you sliding through a stop sign, or pulling up behind you and not being able to stop).

·
Registered
182 Posts
The 4 or 6 cylinder was a big decision for my wife and I as well. We ended up going with the 4 for a couple reasons:

- Fuel Economy. Gas might be relatively cheap now, but if it spikes back up (and it will), we'd rather be driving a 4 cylinder. We went with AWD, so AWD+V6 meant pretty iffy fuel economy (we're both used to small 2-door cars like Civics, which inherently get amazing fuel economy compared with trucks and SUVs). The fact that the 4 was rated for roughly the same highway mileage as my Civic is impressive.
- Ride - We test drove a 6, and also a Ford Edge in the summer (similar size/HP), and just weren't overly impressed with how it lays down the power. 6 speed tranny's mean if you stomp on it, you have to let it gear down at least twice until you hit the power band.
- Reviews - All mentioning the 4 was excellent.

Cost wasn't a big issue for us, and I'm not at all opposed to more ponies, but the 4 made more sense for us. I like the fact that with GMs, you have full flexibility about what engine you want in whatever trim you want. You can get a fully loaded model with all the toys, AWD, and still get a I4. With many other companies, you choose between 3 or 4 trims and that's it. Or you need to step up to the larger engines to get the toys. Mind you, that equates to more headache for GM (4 trim levels, 2 engines, 2 drive trains = 16 basic factory configurations, not factoring in options.

As I mentioned, we opted for AWD. We live in Canada and roads get pretty nasty here at times. No brainer.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I ordered a V6 cause I feel that it weighs more than my Rav4..and while moving back to NYS there are more hills and valleys where the extra horsepower will be needed..The gas mileage ends up near my 3 yr ole Rav4 and have heard on here sum ppl with 4 cylinders in EcoMode were having rough idling..I just would not want to be disappointed if I bought a 4 and wished I would have bought a V6..Each person has their own likes and dislikes when it comes to this ...Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have now put 3K on my 4 cyl. Nox and I dont regret getting the 4 at all. I live in an area with lots of hills, and it actually does less down shifting than my acadia, which is heavier, but also has a lot more engine. Best I can describe it is that it is not a speed demon accellerating, but the engine has a good torque feel, especially at lower RPM's. And the mileage we are getting is comparable or better than we were getting with my wifes 2004 Impala. The all wheel drive with 4 cylinder was only reason we considered this vehicle.

As far as the ruff idle, our has been in ECO mode, since the day we drove it off the lot, and I havent noticed anything, could be a direct injection thing, I do notice at idle, it sort of sounds like a diesel Jetta, but my acadia with direct injection makes the same noises, maybe a little smoother, as its a 6 cyl.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I test drove the I4 (both AWD & FWD) and then ordered a V6 AWD but my needs might be totally different then yours.
For me, this is my daily driver for taking the kids to & from school as well as hauling around about 1000lbs of dirt bikes on a small flat deck trailer every once in a while and it will be the vehicle that we use for all our long distance family trips.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input everyone! Today we test drove the V6. The Terrain had the leather interior, the premier stereo, and the power seat/steering wheel controls. Honestly it's a little more then we want. Unless they give us a huge trade in value. I was highly impressed with the SUV and my wife liked it also. Nice amount of room inside and was very comfortable. I'm thinking we're going to wait for a 4 cylinder with cloth interior. The electric seat and stereo are nice but not necessary also. The one we looked at we are looking at 30K. I figure we can get a toned down one for 27K. Hopefully we can work it out, if not we'll just be waiting a few months... Thanks for all the help.. Maybe I'll be able to post pics tomorrow.

P.S. The only incentive available was $500 conquest. The salesman (who was real friendly and patient) said the friends and family incentive was dealership choice and might be declined.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Due to the rims/tire configurations, the 4 cylinder was noticeably smoother riding than the 6 when we took both for test drives around the same parts of town before purchasing.
Railroad tracks, cracks in roads, etc were smoothed out by the smaller rims which inherently have a higher profile tire than the 19" rims we ended up purchasing.
Don't get me wrong, the 19" rims and tires are excellent, just pointing out that the smaller rims make for a smother ride at lower speeds around town.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, great day! Picked up the Terrain today! We bought the one we drove. The V6 with premium radio / Leather / and electric seats, steering wheel controls. It's an SLT1 and we paid about 600 over invoice. They tried tacking on 1300 for the car being popular. It was called "appearance package and market correction". I laughed and said there was no way I would pay anything over the base price. Didn't elect for any warranty or service packages. Thank God we have a great mechanic that works on our cars. Overall could not have been happier with the experience and hope my wife enjoys her car. Thanks for the help. The best advice comes from owners. Hope to post pics soon!
PJ

·
Registered
182 Posts
Wow, I'm surprised they would be garish enough to over-charge based on demand. But that's probably more of a greedy dealer thing. I would have walked out right there. Nothing in GM's inventory is that popular (except for the ZR-1).

Good on you though. Many of us here are waiting for factory orders. I wont be taking delivery of my SLT1 for another month or two yet!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Just PJ said:
Well, great day! Picked up the Terrain today! We bought the one we drove. The V6 with premium radio / Leather / and electric seats, steering wheel controls. It's an SLT1 and we paid about 600 over invoice. They tried tacking on 1300 for the car being popular. It was called "appearance package and market correction". I laughed and said there was no way I would pay anything over the base price. Didn't elect for any warranty or service packages. Thank God we have a great mechanic that works on our cars. Overall could not have been happier with the experience and hope my wife enjoys her car. Thanks for the help. The best advice comes from owners. Hope to post pics soon!
PJ
Congratulations JustPJ, may your Terrain bring your wife and yourself many years of driving pleasure!
8)
The wife will appreciate the steering wheel controls, for sure!
The beefed up sound is definitely a plus as well!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Congrats on your new Terrain, you will be very pleased!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts