GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forums as well as bought my first GM vehicle.
Just a week ago, I had the opportunity to buy the 2022 GMC Terrain.

I recently sold my 2008 335i making 400hp and good ole V6 Camry just for me and my girlfriend to settle down.
Of course, here in Canada, 94 octane has reached stupid prices and I drive almost 97-100kms a day. Combine that with a boosted 335i, you can imagine how much I would’ve paid for a full gas tank in a week.

I miss the 335i almost every single day especially when I step on the gas pedal of this terrain. Not only that, but the build quality too.

Yes, I am directly comparing a 155,000kms 2008 German vehicle with a 2022 GM product.
You would expect the quality to be good but alas, I was wrong.
600kms down the road and I started hearing an odd rattling sound from the stereo head unit.
The driver seat has a weird plastic bottle crunching sound when you first sit down.
When you close the driver side door, you hear yet another weird plastic and rubber rubbing noise. Just like someone dragging chalk across a blackboard.

Dealer said they’ll take care of all this, of course.

But hey, I was smart enough to get the highest level of warranty and Maintenance package added to the car before driving it off the lot. I let my girlfriend make the decision for getting this terrain because I was totally into getting a Toyota Rav 4 or Honda CR-V or a BMW X3 (first choice).
Looking at the amount of markups and waiting periods Toyota and Honda dealers had, I stumbled upon my good friend working at GMC and he said “there’s a car you might like and it literally just arrived. Still on the trailer and we are unloading it, come take a look”.
4 hours later, I signed papers and we officially purchased the vehicle.

Once you get over the aforementioned negatives, I believe the car is fairly good, as for now.
I was expecting a lot of wind noise but it’s not that bad. Steering is electric and vague but that’s with all modern compact SUV’s.

I’m loving the tech in this car though. LED lights, apple carplay and all the fancy collision systems. All this is new to me so it’s a nice little treat.
And yes, the A/C. Probably GM vehicle have the best A/C. way faster than any other car I had. I rented an Escalade for a road trip last year and I was very surprised how quick the A/C chilled the cabin even when it was 45 degrees celsius outside!

As for aftermarket support, not a lot. I mean there’s not a lot you can do with this vehicle as of now.
I do wish however, I could upgrade the sound system.
I previously had 13 speaker Harman Kardon and man, it was good. This one does lack a lot of charm. But honestly, I might not tinker with this car at all since that’s not the purpose of the vehicle.

Now this is where I raise my eyebrow and question my purchase. After reading a few forums on the LYX engine, a lot of people say it’s a garbage engine. Especially with the whole icing situation.
Underpowered as hell i have to say. With these 9 gears, it just keeps shifting. You really have to wait for boost to kick in especially at highway speeds to overtake someone.

But hey, 740kms on one full gas tank. I’ll take that with the 170hp. Just hope the engine and transmission don’t grenade itself for the next 5 years to say the least! Not sure why people in forums say it’s a toast engine.

I’m yet to do long journeys in this vehicle and most importantly, face a winter. Don’t know much about the AWD performance yet. I’ve been just highway driving since purchase in 2 wheel drive mode.

Overall, it’s a decent purchase with little gremlins here and there imo.
Motor vehicle Blue Vehicle Head restraint Car

Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Car Sky Plant Tire Grille

Car Vehicle Speedometer Trip computer Motor vehicle

Land vehicle Car Vehicle Tire Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

Car Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting Hood

·
Registered
809 Posts
Welcome!

Every vehicle I have ever owned developed some sort of interior noise(s). Some way sooner than others, but all did eventually.

As with any vehicle, keeping up on maintenance is key. Follow the severe maintenance schedule and it should be just as reliable as anything else.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome!

Every vehicle I have ever owned developed some sort of interior noise(s). Some way sooner than others, but all did eventually.

As with any vehicle, keeping up on maintenance is key. Follow the severe maintenance schedule and it should be just as reliable as anything else.
To me the biggest surprise was the service interval for this GMC. I wrenched on my BMW all the time. Motul 300v oil or Amsoil every 5000-6000kms.
Here, the service department said 7,500-8,000 or even more than that.
I was like “no, i’ll come in at 6k and get it done”. The sales rep said “you actually don’t need to but up to you”. Not sure how accurate is the oil life monitor but for once I want to trust technology.

·
Registered
2022 Equinox RS AWD, 1.5T, Iron Gray Metallic, Build Date 12/10/21 Purchased 12/17/21
298 Posts
Welcome, nice write up and sharp looking Terrain! My 2022 Equinox makes no noises after almost 30,000km. I have adjusted to the 4 banger, previous 2013 Nox had the 300hp V6 and I do miss the guts it had. I have never been in a situation where the lack of power got me in trouble and I am a fairly aggressive driver.

As for the oil life monitor, mine is at @ 35% when I take it in at 8,000km. I purchased the maintenance package that includes oil changes and they won't change it before 8,000km, their range is 8,000 to 12,000. I am debating getting a change in between but if there is a turbo issue they will have to fix it. This dealer gives lifetime drivetrain warranty if they do the maintenance - with the package I bought it's paid for up to 140,000 km.

Keep telling yourself how much less this cost than a BMW! Hopefully you'll start loving it even more LOL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome, nice write up and sharp looking Terrain! My 2022 Equinox makes no noises after almost 30,000km. I have adjusted to the 4 banger, previous 2013 Nox had the 300hp V6 and I do miss the guts it had. I have never been in a situation where the lack of power got me in trouble and I am a fairly aggressive driver.

As for the oil life monitor, mine is at @ 35% when I take it in at 8,000km. I purchased the maintenance package that includes oil changes and they won't change it before 8,000km, their range is 8,000 to 12,000. I am debating getting a change in between but if there is a turbo issue they will have to fix it. This dealer gives lifetime drivetrain warranty if they do the maintenance - with the package I bought it's paid for up to 140,000 km.

Keep telling yourself how much less this cost than a BMW! Hopefully you'll start loving it even more LOL
I hope the dealer takes care of those noises and little pesky gremlins. Never owned a new car ever in my life (i’m 27 lol), used/lightly used.
I’m really used to that 400hp just kicking in. Half throttle, you’re just gone. But this 4 banger is decent. With my 335i, I was never an aggressive driver but the second I found an open road, all bets are off. This new little thing, I’m just feathering the throttle. Not once yet I have crossed 4,000 rpm. Would love to see what it does after 2000kms. I want the engine to really settle in first.

The roads I drive daily are all 80kms -100kms posted speed limit. However, even then I’m getting good gas mileage which is really a new thing for me. On my BMW, with all the mods, the max I could get on a tank, with the a/c on, would be 386kms. Camry with its dodgy V6 would give me 460kms max but that’s it.

I’m happy to be blending in with everyone else, driving everyday car, doing groceries (which i never did in the bmw), using 87 gas haha, having an automatic tailgate etc.

And, my sincere thanks for the compliment.
I want this vehicle to be our first family car. Imagine having to drive a baby and your girlfriend in a lowered bmw that rocks with even miniature potholes, with an obnoxious exhaust and that blowoff valve that goes every second you lift off your foot.

It’s a nice change. I’m turning into a family guy haha.
I was unhappy the day i got this vehicle to be very honest. But 3 days later I was like, well **** okay.

Hope it lives up to my not-so-crazy expectations!

I might do an off-the-grid oil change with Amsoil since i’m used to changing oil every 5-6k kms. Hope that doesn’t cause any spark with the dealers due to my extended warranties and maintenance packages.

·
Registered
2022 Equinox RS AWD, 1.5T, Iron Gray Metallic, Build Date 12/10/21 Purchased 12/17/21
298 Posts
The roads I drive daily are all 80kms -100kms posted speed limit. However, even then I’m getting good gas mileage which is really a new thing for me.

I’m happy to be blending in with everyone else, driving everyday car, doing groceries (which i never did in the bmw), using 87 gas haha, having an automatic tailgate etc.

I want this vehicle to be our first family car. Imagine having to drive a baby and your girlfriend in a lowered bmw that rocks with even miniature potholes, with an obnoxious exhaust and that blowoff valve that goes every second you lift off your foot.

I might do an off-the-grid oil change with Amsoil since i’m used to changing oil every 5-6k kms. Hope that doesn’t cause any spark with the dealers due to my extended warranties and maintenance packages.
Sounds like we do very similar driving - I commute 125km every day on mostly same type roads - 80kmh to 100kmh. I am in love with the adaptive cruise, as you mentioned in your first post. No more fiddling as drivers slow down and speed up - that was always a pet peeve of mine.

Like you, this is my first new car - only I am much older. I wouldn't pull the trigger as I drove too much and would burn the factory warranty in a year. So I always bought one or two year old cars until now. Gotta say, the thrill of new car ownership wasn't what I thought it would be, but I am loving the Nox the more I drive it. I took it to Florida in Feb and it really loves the highway.

There is a school of thought that with the turbo, premium gas is not a bad idea. I get most of my gas at Costco (top tier) and since they are only 10 cents a liter more for premium, I have been going for it. The 1.5 seems to love it, mileage and power both seem to have increased. I would need to go back to regular to be sure if it's the premium, but why mess with success? As the cost of gas increases, the 10 cent difference becomes a moot point to me. Sometimes Costco is charging 12 cents more, just checked Gas Buddy and one is 10 cents more for premium, the other 12 cents.

I cannot imagine what your wife/gf would be going through racing to the hospital to deliver the baby in a lowered Beemer - I think you made a wise choice LOL

Before I change oil in between dealer maintenance, I would check with them for sure. I wouldn't think they would care as you are helping prevent issues, but they may be fussy about the oil filter brand or brand oil etc.

I do miss getting under my car like I am used to (I am a former mechanic and don't trust others to work on my car), but my back and other body parts thank me every day lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like we do very similar driving - I commute 125km every day on mostly same type roads - 80kmh to 100kmh. I am in love with the adaptive cruise, as you mentioned in your first post. No more fiddling as drivers slow down and speed up - that was always a pet peeve of mine.

Like you, this is my first new car - only I am much older. I wouldn't pull the trigger as I drove too much and would burn the factory warranty in a year. So I always bought one or two year old cars until now. Gotta say, the thrill of new car ownership wasn't what I thought it would be, but I am loving the Nox the more I drive it. I took it to Florida in Feb and it really loves the highway.

There is a school of thought that with the turbo, premium gas is not a bad idea. I get most of my gas at Costco (top tier) and since they are only 10 cents a liter more for premium, I have been going for it. The 1.5 seems to love it, mileage and power both seem to have increased. I would need to go back to regular to be sure if it's the premium, but why mess with success? As the cost of gas increases, the 10 cent difference becomes a moot point to me. Sometimes Costco is charging 12 cents more, just checked Gas Buddy and one is 10 cents more for premium, the other 12 cents.

I cannot imagine what your wife/gf would be going through racing to the hospital to deliver the baby in a lowered Beemer - I think you made a wise choice LOL

Before I change oil in between dealer maintenance, I would check with them for sure. I wouldn't think they would care as you are helping prevent issues, but they may be fussy about the oil filter brand or brand oil etc.

I do miss getting under my car like I am used to (I am a former mechanic and don't trust others to work on my car), but my back and other body parts thank me every day lol
True that. It’s a very different experience owning a new car instead of a used one. The paper work, the wait, you sitting with the finance team, car getting ready and you seeing nothing but 5kms on the dash. It was really worth it. The first minute when I was handed the keys and the sales manager plus the agent said “enjoy”, i was like “is that it? Nothing else?”. I always thought buying a new car is a hassle but nope, as long as the dealer is trustworthy. And I know my buddy wouldn’t screw around with me.

I’m yet to try the adaptive cruise control. I’m still getting the feel of this engine and a jacked up car. I’m still getting used to getting in and out of this car lol. My BMW was lowered 2.5 inches front and 2 inches rear. You had to squat to get it.

Just like you, i’m using 94 octane. I get 3 cents a litre off. Dealer gave me 87 though. I’m already noticing a quieter engine and a small increase in gas mileage. Let’s see how much I can fair with this tank of 94.

Indeed we wanted a SUV in 2023 but I was looking at the crisis going on in the car industry. Got a good value for that 335i. The new owner will love it.
I still have so many parts left over here at my house that i’ll have to sell.
Especially 3 sets of rims. Apex Arc-8, ESR and Vossen. I might just get a wheel adapter and mount those ESR’s because I love the finish of those rims I got. Still have to sell the rest and most of my special tools for bmw.

My initial plan was to cross check part numbers for air filters and oil filter then quietly do my 5-6k kms service intervals. So when they open up the hood, the filters are still genuine GM. The other side of me says “why even bother when the service dept. clearly said “you don’t have to”. Not sure what oil is currently in the engine but I’d want to put Amsoil after it reaches 5k.

After going through the whole walnut blasting process on my 335i, i was thinking to install a catch can after 15k kms. Will really help with longevity of this engine. I wish they made sequential multi-port injection for this LYX engine. However, installing a catch can will absolutely void the 7 years warranty and 5 years maintenance package.

·
Registered
2022 Equinox RS, AWD 1.5L
97 Posts
Change the oil according to the Oil Life Monitor, keep a fresh air filter in there, use 89/91 octane if you can in the summer and enjoy your ride. I find most people who have issues with their vehicles, especially later in the cars life have almost always neglected proper maintenance.

Having owned over 25+ GM vehicles since 1992, I can honestly say very very few have ever let me down, or with a large repair bill to pay. I currently have a 2021 Camaro LT1 V8, a 2022 Equinox RS and a 2023 Trailblazer RS on the way. I do not anticipate any issues.

Do not under estimate using higher octane especially in very hot summer months. It does make a difference.

Jason

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Change the oil according to the Oil Life Monitor, keep a fresh air filter in there, use 89/91 octane if you can in the summer and enjoy your ride. I find most people who have issues with their vehicles, especially later in the cars life have almost always neglected proper maintenance.

Having owned over 25+ GM vehicles since 1992, I can honestly say very very few have ever let me down, or with a large repair bill to pay. I currently have a 2021 Camaro LT1 V8, a 2022 Equinox RS and a 2023 Trailblazer RS on the way. I do not anticipate any issues.

Do not under estimate using higher octane especially in very hot summer months. It does make a difference.

Jason
Thanks for the tip! Currently running 94 octane and might stick with it.

I’m surely keeping an eye on those monitors as well. The second they get close to 30% or even 20% i’ll call in for a service. I want to maintain this car ever so slightly better than the bmw but keep it bone stock for everyday use.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And here it is people.
Best I could do with one gas tank. Still had roughly 3 litres to go but I didn’t risk it.
Bare in mind I drive on the highways more but there’s a lot of uphill and downhill involved.
Have to say, almost 2x of what my BMW did.

Funny thing, I filled the car and actually for the first time stepped on the gas pedal to see how it drives. I was overtaken by a lady in a 08 Mazda 3 while this thing kept changing gears. Embarrassing but nothing comes close to the gas mileage right here. Probably going fast somewhere was never the purpose of this car!

Also, the second I filled the car up, the Average changed from 7.2L/100km to 7.1L/100km. Strange but probably because the return trip to home, I was really feathering the throttle and was driving granny style. Also had no A/C on just to see how much I could squeeze out of this tank. Good thing the weather was decent outside. Next week will be hot as hell here in BC.

Car Speedometer Trip computer Vehicle Odometer
Car Speedometer Vehicle Trip computer Odometer

Product Line Display device Font Gas

·
Registered
'16 Equinox LTZ AWD 3.6
1,564 Posts
Treat that gas gauge as 1/4 tank left as empty.
Gas cools and lubricates the in-tank fuel pump and running it down low beats the crap out of the fuel pump and dramatically shortens its life.
For example, a friends wife killed her fuel pump in a Murano at 30k miles running the tank down to the fuel light on all the time. Luckily, they changed it under warranty.

Reactions: garagerog

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Treat that gas gauge as 1/4 tank left as empty.
Gas cools and lubricates the in-tank fuel pump and running it down low beats the crap out of the fuel pump and dramatically shortens its life.
For example, a friends wife killed her fuel pump in a Murano at 30k miles running the tank down to the fuel light on all the time. Luckily, they changed it under warranty.
Oh yeah. I’m very aware about that fact. Just wanted to see how much I can really squeeze out of one gas tank. From here on, it will always be 1/4th, just like all my other cars.
Glad to see it can get me close to 800kms if I’m ever in a situation.

·
Registered
2012 terrain 2.4 ecotec flexer
82 Posts
From the 70's Vega, to the 90's Saturn's, to the 2010's Terrains, GM's history with 4 bangers is less than stellar, mostly oil related issues. Unless you drive mostly highway miles and you want this one to last, disregard OLM.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts