GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 GMC Terrain. 3.0 v6. I'm having troubles and I need a hand. My wife filled up the tank 3 nights before it started acting up. It wasn't drove between. Went to crank it. Message came up for reduced power mode. Ran rough. Tried again same. 3rd time she tried it would turn over after cranking. I scanned it and code p0113 is coming up for the iat. The checked the live data and the iat which is built into the maf sensor was reading -38 degrees. I replaced the maf sensor. Cleared the codes disconnected the battery and it still only cranks but won't start. I disconnected the maf and tried to start, nothing. It does still kick the code though. I replaced the spark plugs 1 week ago which entails taking the intake off. I triple checked my work. And looked at the connectors. Nothing is out of the ordinary. Any help or places to look would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I don't think the IAT sensor is the root cause of your no start condition.
In my 2014, 7 of the 8 wires going to IAT sensor go to the ECM, the pink and black goes to fuse #43 under hood fuse block.
However in the diagnostics for P0113, it tells you a short to battery voltage will cause internal damage to the IAT sensor or ECM.

I would ignore the IAT sensor for now and get the engine running.
Do you have spark, fuel and compression?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think the IAT sensor is the root cause of your no start condition.
In my 2014, 7 of the 8 wires going to IAT sensor go to the ECM, the pink and black goes to fuse #43 under hood fuse block.
However in the diagnostics, it tells you a short to battery voltage will cause internal damage to the sensor or ECM.

I would ignore the IAT sensor for now and get the engine running.
Do you have spark, fuel and compression?
Tonight when I get home im going to do a fuel pressure test on it. I replaced the plugs a week in a half ago and will double check that at the same time. Perhaps I will bring my compression as well. Tonight I will have more info on that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tonight when I get home im going to do a fuel pressure test on it. I replaced the plugs a week in a half ago and will double check that at the same time. Perhaps I will bring my compression as well. Tonight I will have more info on that.
I wonder if I have bad fuel. My wife filled up with premium the night before all this started. I think im going to try to test and see if it cranks with starting fluid perhaps

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So this evening I got it started. I took the intake off and all the accessories to check my spark plugs and fuel pressure test. They checked out. I put it all together and checked the fuses. All good. I cleared all the codes it kicked from the fuel pressure test then sprayed starting fluid in the intake. It took a few seconds of cranking and pressing the pedal all the way down, then releasing it. But it cranked up. Its running now, not good but its running. When I barely press the gas it chugs and threatens to die so I let off. I have a good scan tool on it but dont really know what all to look for. Any more ideas. Also I have it in the shop I work at with normal temps. Im in Alaska so its cold outside where my car has been since initial problems

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another update. My terrain was running terrible for a while at the shop. I let it run for 40 minutes. Tried to hit the gas and it went into power reduce mode with a random multiple misfire code that popped up. I out a bottle of heet in the tank and cleared all the codes out again. Then cranked it up. Ran with a hesitation. Then on another forum I seen someone say maybe try turning the car on and off about a dozen times to relearn the maf sensor. Well after doing that she stated running clean. Idk what did it but she drove 40 minutes back home like nothing ever happened. Maybe she stays running now. Hopefully

·
Registered
10,334 Posts
I hope that worked, and maybe for others with a similar problem.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Huh! Never heard of that one (relearning the MAF by repeatedly turning the vehicle ON and OFF), but I'll have to research that because I've had a MAF code on my 2002 Impala for at least three years now (with CEL ON). Replaced the MAF with a RockAuto "off brand" unit (Spectra) without success on 5/17/17 @ 201,860 miles, then kind of lost interest (LOL!). I remember racing down a LONG I-95 on-ramp with my Harbor Fake OBD-2 reader connected, logging data, then coming to the conclusion that the (orginal factory) MAF was probably bad. So I've been driving almost 40,000 miles now with the CEL ON ... LOL!

Just looked on RockAuto and I don't see any "Spectra" MAF sensors anymore for my Impala ... Hmmmm.

Wow! My records show that P0102 code going back to 2012 ... at 157,630 miles!! Yikes!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Did you happen to attempt to clean the throttle body when you swapped plugs? I’ve read horror stories online about people who have done that...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Did you happen to attempt to clean the throttle body when you swapped plugs? I’ve read horror stories online about people who have done that...
I did. Those things are sensitive though. I already replaced it once a year in a half ago and cleaned it twice since do to the power reduce mode. I had it all off so I just wiped it out with throttle body cleaner.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Huh! Never heard of that one (relearning the MAF by repeatedly turning the vehicle ON and OFF), but I'll have to research that because I've had a MAF code on my 2002 Impala for at least three years now (with CEL ON). Replaced the MAF with a RockAuto "off brand" unit (Spectra) without success on 5/17/17 @ 201,860 miles, then kind of lost interest (LOL!). I remember racing down a LONG I-95 on-ramp with my Harbor Fake OBD-2 reader connected, logging data, then coming to the conclusion that the (orginal factory) MAF was probably bad. So I've been driving almost 40,000 miles now with the CEL ON ... LOL!

Just looked on RockAuto and I don't see any "Spectra" MAF sensors anymore for my Impala ... Hmmmm.

Wow! My records show that P0102 code going back to 2012 ... at 157,630 miles!! Yikes!
The thread i seen the suggestion on was actually from a guy working on an 03 impala. I think he said the iat sensor was separate. But I figured what would it hurt to try, so I did. Whether or not it was that, bad gas, flooded engine, or just needed the help of the starting fluid that did it I'm not sure. She's been driving normal since though. Before I did the start cycles my iat was reading 90 degrees on the scanner which it deffinetly wasn't. After the 10th cycle I was watching it creep down to normal operating temp. All the sensors were reading normal after ten minutes of idle. Bizarre. Im a body tech not a mechanic so I didnt know what to think of it.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
The thread i seen the suggestion on was actually from a guy working on an 03 impala. I think he said the iat sensor was separate. But I figured what would it hurt to try, so I did. Whether or not it was that, bad gas, flooded engine, or just needed the help of the starting fluid that did it I'm not sure. She's been driving normal since though. Before I did the start cycles my iat was reading 90 degrees on the scanner which it deffinetly wasn't. After the 10th cycle I was watching it creep down to normal operating temp. All the sensors were reading normal after ten minutes of idle. Bizarre. Im a body tech not a mechanic so I didnt know what to think of it.
I think it was something other than repeatedly turning the vehicle ON and OFF. There's no mention of any such relearn procedure in my 2002 Impala Helm Manuals - at least where MAF replacement is detailed. You'd think if there was a relearn sequence to perform, some mention of it would be made in the Repair section.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I think it was something other than repeatedly turning the vehicle ON and OFF. There's no mention of any such relearn procedure in my 2002 Impala Helm Manuals - at least where MAF replacement is detailed. You'd think if there was a relearn sequence to perform, some mention of it would be made in the Repair section.
Didn't see anything in the 2014 Equinox Repair Manual either.

Reactions: Colt Hero

·
Registered
495 Posts
I suspect the key cycling might have run some gas through the lines enough to clear out some water that was in the gas. Might get absorbed in the gas if the temperature gets up some and no more trouble.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts