GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok – HELP, just purchased a GMC Terrain SLT2 4-cycl - my most important factor in choosing a new vehicle was MPG, finding the Best Rated. I just purchased Friday Dec 17, 2010 and drove over 500 miles and ONLY got 21.1mpg in my 4cycl front wheel drive, SLT2. Average speed 62mph.
“This is from the GMC Terrain website – Terrain FWD EPA-estimated MPG: 22 city/32 hwy with the 2.4L 4-cylinder engine”
FWD Models 2.4L I-4 SIDI (Spark Ignition Direct Injection) 22/32 MPG
Over 600-mile Highway driving range - EPA-est 32 mpg hwy with 2.4L 4-cylinder engine.

This is ridiculous – how can they report the above.
NOW WHAT DO YOU DO!

Is my vehicle fluke?

·
Registered
10,396 Posts
dutch63 said:
NOW WHAT DO YOU DO!

Is my vehicle fluke?
Everyone is going to tell you to sit tight, that it will get better, but to be quite honest, I have a 4 cyl/FWD, and even during break-in, mine was never that low. I would keep and eye on it, and record all of the data, and if it stays that low, THEN, I would go back to the dealer and have them check over the vehicle. Possibly something is wrong. What is the weather like (temperature), and did you let it idle for a long time to warm it up, how loaded up was the vehicle (extra weight), and was it hilly roads ? It should not be that low.

·
Registered
830 Posts
It also have to to with temp outside. Cold weather make the car drink more.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Depending where you are in the country you might be burning oxygenated fuel, aka winter gas. This fuel can add a 15-25% reduction in fuel economy. Typically 87 octane is the first to become the winter fuel (supply and demand) so you can always move up to mid grade as the higher octane fuels are the last to go to the winter formula.

·
Registered
441 Posts
your still in the break in period....sit down and relax a little...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
5 degrees outside, used Regular unleaded, no hills during trip faily flat, me, wife and daughter - not big load at all.
GMC states much better I cannot beleive that a break in period will bring it up to 32 as stated.

·
Registered
441 Posts
dutch63 said:
5 degrees outside, used Regular unleaded, no hills during trip faily flat, me, wife and daughter - not big load at all.
GMC states much better I cannot beleive that a break in period will bring it up to 32 as stated.
search...youll change your mind....32 is way too high anyway....thats like going downhill with a wind at your back......

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RELAX - $30,000 spent - find what you beleive to be the better rated vehicle. i drove my envoy for 8 years over 200,000 miles...i dont really buy vehicles every year. the envoy from 0 - 200,000 17.5. no break in period. Terrain break in period so it is going to go 21.2 to 30. really?

·
Registered
441 Posts
dutch63 said:
RELAX - $30,000 spent - find what you beleive to be the better rated vehicle. i drove my envoy for 8 years over 200,000 miles...i dont really buy vehicles every year. the envoy from 0 - 200,000 17.5. no break in period. Terrain break in period so it is going to go 21.2 to 30. really?
different class of engine.....have you searched the forums!? theres many many of these "wheres my MPG's" threads...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i guess i am pissed because it was a flat hwy run, i drove and did not gun and run, 10% in town balacen hwy..looked to get at least 26 - 28. bought 4cyc front wheel drive for MPG.
if not going to come up would have just went with a 6cyc all wheel drive and probably got 22.

·
Registered
441 Posts
the 6 cyl get about 17 off the lot...

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
gar187er said:
the 6 cyl get about 17 off the lot...
IF that. My mother-in-law gets about 16-17 driving in town and are happy when they get 23 on the highway.

OP, first, stop spamming the boards. You need to start just one thread and you will get exactly the same answer.

Second, give it another tank.

Third, learn to drive it to get the best MPG. Its honestly in how you drive the small motor and big vehicle. Learn to anticipate traffic patterns, lights and all kinds of other stuff. You'd be surprised at how fast your MPG will go up.

Fourth, 32 MPG isnt a fluke. Ive got 34.4 (I think) per the DIC while going around 65-67 and our DIC is usually spot on when on the highway. We average around 24 in pure town driving and that is with remote starting and it being cold down here too.

Fifth, proper tire air pressure. We lost 3 MPG on a recent highway trip because the tire pressures were 32 PSI HOT. When I bump them up to 36 COLD, it really changes the MPG by that much.

·
Registered
9 Posts
RNOX said:
I saw my mileage go down when I used the front defogger and the weather was cold.

You bring up a great point, the more accessories running the more strain on the motor, the more fuel consumed.

But at 5 degrees outside with oxygenated fuel; 17 MPG sounds right. Last winter my wife's Vibe got less than 20mpg. Over the summer months it was back up to 30.

·
Registered
125 Posts
It might not have gotten the 22/32 but think about it like this: Since all vehicles are now rated the same way, this means that any other vehicle that was rated less than your terrain (all other xovers) you would have gotten less mpg under the same conditions.

you do need to check your tire pressure though and keep in mind that with a 4 cylinder the extra accessories will tax it. wait until the spring to see if the mpg meets your requirements. youll have better fuel, warmer weather, and the motor will be broken in.

BTW was it in ECO mode?

·
Registered
2 Posts
This entire thread is LOL. Are we really complaining about mileage with less than 1000 miles on the vehicle? If it makes you feel better I just left the dealer with my new 4 cylinder Terrain today. It had 5 miles on it when I pulled out of the parking lot. The dealer was 142 miles from my house about 139 of these miles were highway. I had the cruise set at 75, tire pressure was 37, eco mode was on. I averaged 20.9mpg. That figure maybe down slightly from what it should have been do to about 10 minutes of idle time at the dealer. The remote start is a very nice option. Just member it's not going to be mileage friendly. I'm not worried about this at all. Some of the things others have stated are big mpg factors. Some my not know it but if you have the front defrost on you are running the AC compressor. GM started doing this to take moisture out of the air as well as to get the compressor used during the cold months. Also GM is notd the one that sets the mpg ratings for new vehicles the epa is. Do some research on how they come up with their numbers. Sorry if my reply comes off bad. I used to work in a dealer service department. I had customer gas mileage complaints almost daily.

On a positive note the 4 cylinder G6 I traded in today steadily got better mileage all the way up to 30,000 miles then seemed to level off. My mom and a good friend(who works at the dealer I just bought my Terrain from) of mine both drive 4 cylinder Terrains. They both average right around 27mpg with mixed city/highway driving. If I can say the same once my Terrain miles on it I will be happy.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Just did the first leg of our Christmas trip an filled up. Evansville, IN to Nashville, TN. Very hilly terrain for the majority of it.

170 miles and 5.9 gallons put in. 28.9 mpg. 73 mph with cruise on.

Before on this trip we would be lucky to see 26-27 mpg. Ill post a thread after tje trip is done to show the whole breakdown.

·
Registered
378 Posts
bballr4567 said:
Just did the first leg of our Christmas trip an filled up. Evansville, IN to Nashville, TN. Very hilly terrain for the majority of it.

170 miles and 5.9 gallons put in. 28.9 mpg. 73 mph with cruise on.

Before on this trip we would be lucky to see 26-27 mpg. Ill post a thread after tje trip is done to show the whole breakdown.
how many miles on odometer?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
JMitch19 said:
This entire thread is LOL. Are we really complaining about mileage with less than 1000 miles on the vehicle? If it makes you feel better I just left the dealer with my new 4 cylinder Terrain today. It had 5 miles on it when I pulled out of the parking lot. The dealer was 142 miles from my house about 139 of these miles were highway. I had the cruise set at 75, tire pressure was 37, eco mode was on. I averaged 20.9mpg. That figure maybe down slightly from what it should have been do to about 10 minutes of idle time at the dealer. The remote start is a very nice option. Just member it's not going to be mileage friendly. I'm not worried about this at all. Some of the things others have stated are big mpg factors. Some my not know it but if you have the front defrost on you are running the AC compressor. GM started doing this to take moisture out of the air as well as to get the compressor used during the cold months. Also GM is notd the one that sets the mpg ratings for new vehicles the epa is. Do some research on how they come up with their numbers. Sorry if my reply comes off bad. I used to work in a dealer service department. I had customer gas mileage complaints almost daily.

On a positive note the 4 cylinder G6 I traded in today steadily got better mileage all the way up to 30,000 miles then seemed to level off. My mom and a good friend(who works at the dealer I just bought my Terrain from) of mine both drive 4 cylinder Terrains. They both average right around 27mpg with mixed city/highway driving. If I can say the same once my Terrain miles on it I will be happy.
JUST A NOTE: You kinda missed that break-in period part of the manual...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts