GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a Buick Rendevous 2002 owner with 78k mi. I have put too much money into this car the last couple of years that I think its time to unload it. I am undecided between the Rav4 and the Equinox. I can get the Nox for a little less money (GM rewards) but my concern is the resale and reliability of the Chevy. The Rav seems to have a little more cargo room and 2 years of free service but I don't care for the steel wheels or the tire on the back. I have always owned American, never a Japanese car but am willing to consider it after having all the problems with my Buick.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
hfdad, I had the sister to your Buick...2001 Pontiac Aztek.....in my mind the best car I've ever owned, but like you said , it was starting to cost money. I concidered the Hyundai Tucsun and the Nox/Terrain.....japaneese cars were not ever an option. Never will be.
Wife ended up making the decision on the Terrain...she said it looked more masculine. ;D

·
Registered
10,394 Posts
hfdad said:
I am undecided between the Rav4 and the Equinox.
Take the Rav4 and parallel park it in a city and then try opening up the tailgate - it swings outward. This may convince you the advantage of a Equinox - amount many other advantages.

·
Registered
86 Posts
In response to the quality of GM products.... There is a big difference between 2002 and 2011. As you know GM has seen it's fair share of problems during that time period. However, since there "resurrection" and restructuring, the company has done a complete 180 in my opinion. I've owned Chrysler products and GM products and have experienced my problems with both. However, my main complainant was always the fact that neither company really ever upgraded their products over a 5-8 year period and the materials they used were always second rate.

Due to this, I was dead set on getting a foreign, small suv. Audi, Lexus rx, etc. I began to look at as many as I could, but kept coming up with a price tag of $40,000-$45,000! A few people said to take a look at the new Equinox. So I checked it out. The interior was something I had never seen before in a GM product! The quality materials and futuristic cluster rivaled foreign, expensive brands. I took it for a test drive and I was excited. When I was told that I could get everything I wanted on it for $30,000 , I was sold!

If your worried about reliability, you always get the 5 year, 100,000 mile warranty and can buy an extended one if you choose. My wife owns a VW with the carefree maintenance plan, and I feel it's not as great as they make it out to be. (similar to the toyota) they will only change the oil every 10,000 miles or once per year! I don't agree with waiting that long to change it and found myself doing my own change in between.

I know have 4,000 miles on my Nox and couldn't be happier!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Coming to a Nox/Terrain forum you are going to get a lot of bias opinions here to start off with.

But you are kinda in the same boat I am, though I have leaned towards the foreign vehicles in the past.

The deciding factor for me to rule out the Rav 4 were the side opening rear gate, and how dated the Rav is becoming. If you were to compare the 2012 Rav 4(which you cant) then maybe you could lean towards the Toyota b/c maybe they will get with the times. If you are looking now, you will notice how behind the times ALL Toyotaa have become.

Trust me, go with the Nox and don't look back.

BTW I still haven't purchased my Terrain yet, but its coming.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
The RAV4 was one of the vehicles I considered before buying my Nox. I test drove and looked at various Nissan, Honda, Ford and Hyundai's in addition to the RAV4 so I get details mixed up...but I know that I did a pro/con sheet comparing each one and the RAV4 came in 3rd (iirc) behind the Honda CRV and ultimately the Equinox. All I can say is that I started out fully expecting to get an import CUV with a V6...and ended up with a domestic 4cyl. No regrets..

oh, and as for reliability....GM has had 5+ years to shake out the major bugs with this platform, and my Equinox feels as tightly put together (or moreso) than any import I've owned the past 20 years. If you go to a Chevy/GMC dealer and do a close inspection of the fit/finish and hood/door gap tolerance you will see that GM has finally "gotten it" and learned how to compete with the Japanese..

·
Registered
332 Posts
The Rav4 was never on our list because of what others have said which for one is the side opening rear door with that view blocking spare tire. It may look rugged to have a spare there, but these are CUV's, so really? That plus my experience with Toyota is they package their vehicles such that you have to pay for options you may not want or then get one unavailable with options you do want. Either that or part with an huge amount of money for a Limited model.

If your down to deciding between just the two brands then I would go with the Equinox.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the responses, I have read them all and am leaning 80% toward the Nox. Now I am in the process of getting some quotes. My wife will be the main driver and she wants to Chevy too.

·
Registered
332 Posts
hfdad said:
Thanks for all the responses, I have read them all and am leaning 80% toward the Nox. Now I am in the process of getting some quotes. My wife will be the main driver and she wants to Chevy too.
If the wife want's the Chevy then you would be wise to get the Chevy! ;)

Our Nox is the wife's as well!

·
Registered
626 Posts
hfdad said:
With all due respect, regardless of what you want, make sure the wife is happy first. ;)

M

·
0 Posts
Also the Rav 4 is in it's last year of the current design...a total redesign is coming 3rd quarter 2011. I'd hate to buy a new vehicle and one year down the road it looks the same as the one thats 5 years old.

The Nox is in it's 2nd yr of this design.

As for those who mentioned the "New GM" Please do not give any credit at all to this "New GM" term.
All the "New GM" term means is that they were able to legally STEAL billions of dollars from private investors by wiping the slate clean and all those who lost $$$....oh well, sucks to be them. A company that steals billions of dollars from the system is nothing to be proud of. And then to top it all off they got guaranteed low interest loans funded by you.
And if they are so great all of a sudden....well no wonder why...if me and everyone else who has debt got their slates wiped clean we'd be able to do all kinds of wonderful things too.

The design, testing and improvements of this NOX was deployed years before and I believe that although GM was still making junk that the Nox was one vehicle that they were already in the process of stepping up their game...unfortunately too little too late as the economy fell apart.

This vehicle GM has done well (hence; the reason I switched from Honda)...however only time will tell.

·
Registered
86 Posts
mmarges said:
Also the Rav 4 is in it's last year of the current design...a total redesign is coming 3rd quarter 2011. I'd hate to buy a new vehicle and one year down the road it looks the same as the one thats 5 years old.

The Nox is in it's 2nd yr of this design.

As for those who mentioned the "New GM" Please do not give any credit at all to this "New GM" term.
All the "New GM" term means is that they were able to legally STEAL billions of dollars from private investors by wiping the slate clean and all those who lost $$$....oh well, sucks to be them. A company that steals billions of dollars from the system is nothing to be proud of. And then to top it all off they got guaranteed low interest loans funded by you.
And if they are so great all of a sudden....well no wonder why...if me and everyone else who has debt got their slates wiped clean we'd be able to do all kinds of wonderful things too.

The design, testing and improvements of this NOX was deployed years before and I believe that although GM was still making junk that the Nox was one vehicle that they were already in the process of stepping up their game...unfortunately too little too late as the economy fell apart.

This vehicle GM has done well (hence; the reason I switched from Honda)...however only time will tell.
I think you took this the wrong way, I mentioned "restructuring" and meant that as a change in mind set from building cars GM wanted to building Cars consumers wanted. Not the Bail-out they received which I also never supported.

M

·
0 Posts
With the new increase on the ipo we may actually make some money in all this :-\

·
Registered
64 Posts
For years the North American car makers were arrogant and didn't produce product that even came close to what was coming out of Japan.

After owning several previous Toyota 4Runners, Honda Accords and Civics I chose those vehicles after comparing them to what was being produced at the time by the domestic car makers.

You cannot compare your 2002 domestic vehicle to what is being produced today.

No comparison, the big three have come a long way, the only one I would suggest has a ways to go yet is Chrysler. They have outdated, stale products that are not selling, their build quality hasn't matched GM and Ford. Basically their "Jeep" line is keeping them going.

There are several GM and Ford vehicles out there now with higher residuals then their Japanese counterparts.

The Terrain/Equinox is an example of getting one right. Excellent product in high demand with very few out there for sale in the used market.

I just hope GMC engineers listen to the loyal owners on Forums like this one and take to heart the suggestions to improve the product from people who are passionate about a vehicle they really like.

At this particular moment I would suggest Ford is a notch above GM but not by much.

I think this is primarily due to getting their new product out quicker and listening to the customer.

Something thats simple but important is Bluetooth connectivity. Hands Free is pretty much the Law across North America.

Ford puts BlueTooth standard in even the cheapest Fiesta, but in a more expensive vehicle like the Terrain/Nox its not even in the base product as a standard option.

Its this type of customer product feature demand that must be taken more seriously by the GM Product Teams.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Sgt1411 said:
Something thats simple but important is Bluetooth connectivity. Hands Free is pretty much the Law across North America.

Ford puts BlueTooth standard in even the cheapest Fiesta, but in a more expensive vehicle like the Terrain/Nox its not even in the base product as a standard option.

Its this type of customer product feature demand that must be taken more seriously by the GM Product Teams.
Good point. They are making it standard for all Cruze, but why not make it standard to all 2012 vehicles? It's not that expensive especially in their volume.

M

·
0 Posts
Sgt1411, I agree

Ford I think is in the lead right now. I work as an outside sales engineer in the industry. I have a tonne of customers here in Ontario that make all kinds of parts for different vehicles in this automotive manufacturing belt. Ford is all over my parts suppliers customers like a dirty shirt.

Ford is not messing around anymore and insisting these suppliers make good parts and do it right. They have their engineering teams and project managers all over them and watching them like hawks. I've seen them literally cancel contracts and pull entire lines out of their suppliers that aren't complying with the quality they demand. This is the same way Japanese Automakers used to be with their suppliers 5-10 yers ago as well.

GM is much better and starting to nail down their vehicles but I agree that they still need to step up and include common features like bluetooth across the board on all trim levels. Another thing they should consider is offering the Nav option for much less of a raping price...common $3300 $CDN option...outrageous...$1500 tops...but even that is pushing it.

Toyota - Plagued with recalls. The design and engineering processes is awesome but at the worker assembly quality level..My brother inlaw works at the Cambridge plant. They make the Lexus SUV and the Matrix/Corolla. The sh!t I can tell you...let's not even go there.

Honda - Excellent quality, had a 98 civic, 2000 acoord, 2002 CRv and 05 Pilot that the wife took when I got the Equinox. Honda is still top notch quality but they are loosing the edge in the styling...same with Acura. The only nice looking vehicle they have is the Accord. I looked at the new redesigned Pilot and passed on it simply for one reason only...looks like crap...what were the design engineers thinking when it came to exterior looks. Also WTF is that accord crosstour thing all about or it's half retarded brother the Acura ZDX...and don't get me started on Acura front grills looking like giant can openers...examples of Honda/Acura styling going down the tubes.

Mazda...Can't get over all their new vehicles front ends looking like giant happy faces....FAIL

Kia...GM and everyone else...watch out! ....I could have got a loaded Sorento with the Nav and Sunroof for $2000 less than my Equinox LTZ (without nav, add nav $3300 now we're talking over a $5k price difference)
Hyundai...Same...GM and everyone else watch out!

Chrysler. The only thing holding them together is Jeep and the Ram pickup trucks...everything else is junk and nothing new or innovative coming down the pipe.

Just my opinions

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I believe Hyundai is going to surpass everyone, if not already. I like their new Aero look. If the new Tucsun was another foot longer (price was a lot better) I'd be driving that now. Still I have no regretes, Terrain is #1 in my book.
I do like the Chrysler cars though, at least they had the imagination to make something that wasn't boxy or eggshape(Taurus). Ford is starting to get it's design team into the 21st century. Chrysler thought outside the box long before Ford and GM with Viper, Prowler, PT Cruiser, Pacifica, Charger, Challanger, 300M. It's just too bad the quality wasn't there.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Chrysler is revamping a few of their products. Living near their headquarters, I often see the new vehicles with the manufactures plates on them. In the last few weeks I have seen a new Durango.... Basically the same look as the new jeep grand Cherokee. as well as a new charger.... Looks similar to what it is now, but with different lines and resembles something like a new Mustang in some aspects.

My point being is that they do have new stuff coming out... Is it a turn around and light years ahead of their previous versions like the nox.... Probably not.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts