GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really interested in possibly purchasing a Terrain. I love the styling, am impressed with the vehicle itself, want to buy American, and am willing to be a first time adapter. My father, however, will most likely be totally against it and a simple test drive and sweet talking sales person won't be enough to sway him. We have a close relationship and I don't want my next vehicle purchase to be a point of contention between us. He has already made it clear that he wants me to buy a used foreign vehicle for the usual reasons; "new is a waste of money," "foreign manufactures have a history of dependable vehicles." This isn't about income or monthly payments, I could easily pay the thing off in just a year, should I choose, it's about the vehicle itself.

With that said I was hoping to enlist you guys to help me build my case. I have printed half a dozen or so articles from reputable sources talking about the Terrain, including US News, so general reviews are good. Right now, my biggest area of contention is a lack of reliability data. Further exasperating the issue is the fact that Consumer Reports, the ratings magazine he follows like the Bible, didn't rate it as good as say, a used Toyota 4Runner, my second choice. My second biggest problem is the idea of buying a new first generation vehicle.

So far I have found hardly anything on reliability data due to the Terrain's first gen status; everything thus far has been predicted. I was hoping to use the Equinox for that, but from what I have seen thus far, that won't help, so I am stuck.

My argument for new is simply the warranty, 3 year bumper to bumper, 5 years on the power train, 6 years on rust. Should I buy used I will only have a partial warranty, and may inherit someone else's problems. If the Terrain turns out to be a long term flop, I can just trade it in for something else at a slight trade-in loss; i figure worse case scenario I get $15k at trade-in in 5 years. I considered the "new GMC" angle, but that won't work.

Any ammunition you guys can help me with would be awesome.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Wow---I remember back to the 70's when I bought a new Porsche...much to my father's horror and disgust. His argument was buy American. Times have certainly changed. I've got the Terrain, love the Terrain, and could have bought just about anything I want. You say you could pay it off in a year so it's not your Dad's $. Believe me, he'll grow to like the car. If there was ever an argument to buy American, tell him you want a new Toyota!

·
Registered
315 Posts
Anthony said:
I am really interested in possibly purchasing a Terrain. I love the styling, am impressed with the vehicle itself, want to buy American, and am willing to be a first time adapter. My father, however, will most likely be totally against it and a simple test drive and sweet talking sales person won't be enough to sway him. We have a close relationship and I don't want my next vehicle purchase to be a point of contention between us. He has already made it clear that he wants me to buy a used foreign vehicle for the usual reasons; "new is a waste of money," "foreign manufactures have a history of dependable vehicles." This isn't about income or monthly payments, I could easily pay the thing off in just a year, should I choose, it's about the vehicle itself.

With that said I was hoping to enlist you guys to help me build my case. I have printed half a dozen or so articles from reputable sources talking about the Terrain, including US News, so general reviews are good. Right now, my biggest area of contention is a lack of reliability data. Further exasperating the issue is the fact that Consumer Reports, the ratings magazine he follows like the Bible, didn't rate it as good as say, a used Toyota 4Runner, my second choice. My second biggest problem is the idea of buying a new first generation vehicle.

So far I have found hardly anything on reliability data due to the Terrain's first gen status; everything thus far has been predicted. I was hoping to use the Equinox for that, but from what I have seen thus far, that won't help, so I am stuck.

My argument for new is simply the warranty, 3 year bumper to bumper, 5 years on the power train, 6 years on rust. Should I buy used I will only have a partial warranty, and may inherit someone else's problems. If the Terrain turns out to be a long term flop, I can just trade it in for something else at a slight trade-in loss; i figure worse case scenario I get $15k at trade-in in 5 years. I considered the "new GMC" angle, but that won't work.

Any ammunition you guys can help me with would be awesome.
Its Your money unless it isnt ;)

·
Registered
182 Posts
I, too, had some of the initial thoughts as your father, being an import nut who follows consumer reports. 1 year ago I would have laughed you out of the room had you told me I was buying a GM vehicle. That being said, I also research vehicles thoroughly, and read pretty much every review out there. I really wanted to buy a CRV, but frankly - the best car won. Simple as that.

For me, the CRV/Rav4 were good, but the Terrain one-upped them in almost every category. Combined with the fact that virtually every review mentions it's a darn good vehicle.

At the end of the day, do your research, drive the vehicles, and your father will see you're making an informed purchase. Unless there's other interests at stake, or it not entirely your money, let him have his opinions. If he's a reasonable person, he'll see that you're making a reasonable, informed purchased. Surely, he's not so shallow such that a lifelong relationship would get ruined because of the badge on a car.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Personally, I'd stay miles away from any Toyota right now.
Look through the many forum categories here.
There's a wealth of first hand feedback from owners.

GM has changed their operating philosophy and want to be world leaders again.
They have the knowledge and wisdom to do it.
They've already paid back their loans to both US and Canadian governments...5 years early!

Read --> http://www.terrainforum.net/index.php?topic=731.0

If you have the $$ (or should I say, if the Dealer has one on the lot), get one that is loaded with every option and learn how to use the NAV, Bluetooth, RSE (Rear Seat Entertainment), etc. before taking Dad for a test drive, then show off how nicely it all ties together.
Stress the safety, side curtain air bags and Stabilitrak.
Stress the MPG and available power on demand.
Stress the technology and quality that goes into the vehicle.
There's no doubt in my mind, having driven 100's of different cars by different manufacturers on different continents in my lifetime, that this is a world class vehicle for the money.

·
Registered
315 Posts
gearhead said:
GM has changed their operating philosophy and want to be world leaders again.
They have the knowledge and wisdom to do it.
They've already paid back their loans to both US and Canadian governments...5 years early!
Technically that isnt true

http://www.courthousenews.com/2010/04/23/26689.htm

http://radioviceonline.com/gm-repays-loan-to-us-actually-not-really/

And full repayment will never happen until GM stock is publicly traded being the tax payer (well uncle sam) owns majority operating stack in the company (60% IIRC)

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
grometsc said:

And full repayment will never happen until GM stock is publicly traded being the tax payer (well uncle sam) owns majority operating stack in the company (60% IIRC)
Hmmm, that is interesting and sounds like something the government does everyday LOL!
At least they paid something back without squandering more, right?
LOL!
All the more reason for taxpayers to buy GM products now if we ever want to get our TARP money back!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Here's a good video. One woman says she's driven foreign cars for 30 years, but after driving a 'Nox she has changed her mind.

Basically for the past 10 years every car maker in the World has been roughly equal in quality. So, what matters today is what you get for your money. With the Terrain, you just get more. Plain and simple.

P.S. have your father go test drive one with you...

·
Registered
446 Posts
Here's another video with details on how GM tests quality (watch the series, theres a few featuring 'Nox/Terrains)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
grometsc said:

While true, the TARP money was GMs to spend how they liked. It would of been MUCH worse if they had used it to do some R&D on a platform. Plus, if they felt comfortable about spending the TARP money then they are making money but much rather get rid of that cash that way they can say they have no government money in their bank accounts.

Also, Grassley is a fool. Look up his earmarks per year and see how much tax dollars one person is spending.

Anyways, if your father is so petty that he will be upset at you for YOUR car purchase then I would worry most about that then what he thinks about it.

Plus, never buy a vehicle based on resell value. Just ask all those Toyota folk who are suing Toyota because their residual value has fallen so much since all their problems. The suits wont make it very far but it just goes to show to buy a car which you like NOW not what it will be worth to someone else in the future.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
bballr4567 said:
While true, the TARP money was GMs to spend how they liked. It would of been MUCH worse if they had used it to do some R&D on a platform. Plus, if they felt comfortable about spending the TARP money then they are making money but much rather get rid of that cash that way they can say they have no government money in their bank accounts.

Also, Grassley is a fool. Look up his earmarks per year and see how much tax dollars one person is spending.

Anyways, if your father is so petty that he will be upset at you for YOUR car purchase then I would worry most about that then what he thinks about it.

Plus, never buy a vehicle based on resell value.[/color] Just ask all those Toyota folk who are suing Toyota because their residual value has fallen so much since all their problems. The suits wont make it very far but it just goes to show to buy a car which you like NOW not what it will be worth to someone else in the future.[/color]
True that, excellent points bballr4567!

·
Registered
315 Posts
bballr4567 said:

Thats like you transferring credit card debit to another card....then stating you paid off your credit card

Technically not true...That is what GM is doing ;)

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
grometsc said:
Thats like you transferring credit card debit to another card....then stating you paid off your credit card

Technically not true...That is what GM is doing ;)
Yet, you did pay off that one card. Remember, they SAVED money by paying it off early due to interest. Might not like it but that is how the government set it up. They wouldnt get rid of that cash unless they had some very good indications of how much money they were making.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts