GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP 2016 engine rattle at start up

I have a 2016 v6 with 4,000 miles on it . After driving car and parking it for 40 min then restarting it a loud rattling noise for 4 sec . if you restart again no noise or let it set over night cold start up no noise . On vacation help. :banghead: No other problems runs fine engine oil up level marks just makes noise for 4 sec like timing chain metal type noise . Can stop for gas and restart and no noise must be stop for 30 to 40 min than noise.

·
Registered
10,408 Posts
Re: HELP 2016 engine rattle at start up

Take your car to a dealer and have them diagnose and fix it. Sounds like something that should be tended to quickly and could cause an untimely breakdown if you don't.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts

The V-6 has been very reliable, definitely not a common problem.
Could be something not torqued properly, hard to say.
Being that new and under warranty, see a GM dealer soon.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts

·
Registered
3,698 Posts

I don't know about YOU guys, but I listened to that video three times and I can't hear the knock noise that guy is talking about. Seems like bad acoustics, which is typical with a lot of these recordings.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts

it occurs really fast--- like 3 clicks at the end of 0:05

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

:eek:hno: On the way to DEALER and a car waiting mite me a while. :confused: Let you know out come.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Well just got her back from dealer they ran it on and off for two days . they started with oil change and so far one day down no noise . All so i took video with cell phone of noise and that help them. :beer:

·
Registered
2,510 Posts

Carl17 said:
Well just got her back from dealer they ran it on and off for two days . they started with oil change and so far one day down no noise . All so i took video with cell phone of noise and that help them. :beer:
What did the dealer say the problem was?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

They said it probably is cam vvt stickin because of dirty oil so its easier to change oil try it . Lots of warranty left and will change oil in 4,000 miles or four months not 7,500 miles see what happens. :shrug:

·
Registered
5,492 Posts

Very possible some metal particles circulated in the oil and partially clogged the screens. OTOH. . . it could be the odd defective part.

Regardless, I never , ever , went over 2,000 miles on a brand new vehicle without changing the oil. They tell you it's "break-in" oil, whick usually has a bit more anti-scuff additives in it. But break-in oil or not. . . the additives do NOT get rid of any small metal shavings that are all over the inside of engines blocks, heads, etc. I want that stuff outta there ASAP !

And, depending on your driving conditions, 4,000 to 5,000 miles using a good DEXOS certified (synthetic ) oil should be fine. Some go up to 7,000 miles in climates that do not include cold winter start ups. Also, since I live in the snow belt, it's good to change the oil in September or so, and then again in late December or early January when the real cold weather sets in. It takes at least 30 to 45 minutes or more of engine run time to boil out condensation in the engine crankcase. If you drive 15 to 20 minutes to work, or make short stop/start trips during the week; water builds up in the oil and makes a yellow, creamy emulsion of it. Not good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

:( Well 400 miles and it started again so back to the dealer at some point . :banghead: It was good for a while .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Well they change oil again this time it went over 2000 mile and it only makes the noise once in a while . But since the weather as cool off in the sixty or colder no noise at all. over 5,000 miles so we we see . :banghead:

·
Registered
3,698 Posts

Since this thread popped up again, I listened to the noise on the video again and I can hear it now. It's that very quick staccato noise 5 seconds in, as rbarrios said earlier. That doesn't sound good.

Assuming Carl17's description of when this occurs is accurate, it appears the engine must be warm AND all the oil must've drained back down to the pan (after 30-40 mins), because it doesn't happen after a quick stop and start, and it doesn't happen in the morning either when the engine is cold and all the oil has drained back down to the pan.

Some suggestions:

1.) Maybe a loophole where the computer isn't opening the oil jets immediately because it senses the engine still within a certain temp range, but doesn't realize the oil has completely drained back down?? And it gets away with it on the quick stop and starts because the oil hasn't completely drained back down.

2.) Possibly Carl's observation isn't always true and what is actually happening is the timing chain is just landing on a particular spot where it somehow makes this noise??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts