GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Terrain SLT, I really like it and I'm going to take steps to being able to take care of smaller issues myself.

My first success was getting the smoke stench out of it - bought used. :grin:

New challenges - figuring out why my wipers stopped working and hard wiring a new security camera system in the car!

I want to modify some eventually, the first being the overhead console - the design seems a bit silly to me.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Welcome, where are you located?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Wiper failure is a known issue. GM has issued an extended service campaign for the wipers so this may be something that the dealer will fix for free if you are under the mileage limit. The dealers will relocate the drain holes in the cowl for water to drain from and they will also install a revised wiper module with revised joints to prevent the issue from happening again in the future. Might be worth a call to your dealer to see if this is something they would fix for you for free under the campaign.

I have a 2015 Equinox, and received a letter from GM describing the service campaign for the wipers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is good to know, I wasn't aware of this at all - thank you!

·
Registered
672 Posts
New challenges - figuring out why my wipers stopped working and hard wiring a new security camera system in the car!

I live in a small town and the most expensive things i have are the car and the house...I've figured if people want to steal anything inside my house or my car its cheaper to let them ...than they damage my car or my house to try to steal some of my cheap possessions (large sentimental values but cheap)...so i tend to leave my car open where ever i park it....I have to say this has worked well for me...there is nothing to steal in my car except the car (we have some bird books ...if they steal those ...may be somebody will learn some ornithology !).
The kind of thieves we have tend to be the ones who want a few dollars for their next drug fix...so they will steal security cameras (in the olden days they would steal stereo systems but with modern cars these are useless for resale).

My logic may not work in places where they just lift the whole car and put on a truck and take it to some some chop shop.

·
Registered
958 Posts
In the early '70s, my now ex-wife had a '65 Valiant convertible. We lived in Sacramento, CA. I had her always leave it unlocked--and never leave anything of value in the car. It was far easier than paying to replace a slit open top.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really just have a front facing dash cam since now that I drive more, drivers are getting more out of hand and it has helped in more than one case. Currently have a front and rear system that I will swap in and hard wire soon. I am just grateful that nothing to that extreme has happened but I will look into getting darker tints.

In other news, I just finished fixing my wipers! @arcee - I couldn't find information about my year and model, weather has been too unstable as of recent and I am sadly a bit too impatient to wait an hour and $180 out of pocket to be told to wait a week or so for dealer or equivalent parts and return for the eventual fix (and more money).

I figured since I could still hear the motor run, it must be whatever that moves the wipers that went bad - an hour of YouTube research later, I ordered the wiper transmission assembly, got it 3 days later, took the car to AutoZone for a bit of help. I wasn't able to get the copper anti seize lubricant so I settled for the aluminum based one. In all, my car is back in working condition for just about $40 in total.

New Challenge - get another TPMS sensor, one of them died.

Attachments

·
Registered
958 Posts
Glad it worked for you--and that you had the ability to fix it yourself. Sometimes that's the most expedient way to do things. Our time has value as well, and chewing it up in a dealership service dept isn't always best for us.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts