GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure what's going on with my new Equinox. I've had many GM cars before, all with digital temp control and auto setting, and setting it on auto at 72 was always perfect in these other cars. In the Nox, if I set it on 77 it blows cold air, but on 78 it blows super hot air. There is no "in between". I can't find a comfortable temperature using auto; can't find not using auto either. Anyone had a similar issue?

·
Registered
142 Posts
yep, i have more or less same issue...kind of sucks...but of course when i had dealer look at it they said it is working normally. also admitted that world was better when a lever on dash simply went to heater core...

·
Registered
949 Posts
I've never liked the "auto" feature on the ac, in ANY car. Don't use it now, and I wouldn't want a car that had auto as it's only option. It's too finnicky for me, I mean, when I've ridden in other people's cars with auto air.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sumr616 said:
I've never liked the "auto" feature on the ac, in ANY car. Don't use it now, and I wouldn't want a car that had auto as it's only option. It's too finnicky for me, I mean, when I've ridden in other people's cars with auto air.
It even does this when I have it in manual mode. I played with it for a half hour last night and it was either blowing cold air or super hot air on all of the manual settings (floor, vent, defrost).

My Grand Prix and my Malibu had auto temps and they worked like a charm. While I'd like the auto to work better, I know they can be finicky and would be happy if the manual would work right...

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Has your concern been resolved? I would be happy to look into this for you as well with the last eight of your VIN. Please feel free to contact me privately for more assistance.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Redhorseridge said:
It even does this when I have it in manual mode. I played with it for a half hour last night and it was either blowing cold air or super hot air on all of the manual settings (floor, vent, defrost).

My Grand Prix and my Malibu had auto temps and they worked like a charm. While I'd like the auto to work better, I know they can be finicky and would be happy if the manual would work right...
Hmm, sounds to me like you need some software update or something. Maybe it's a known issue already, not sure? But yea, obviously something's wrong if it does that in Manual mode too, haha. I guess a trip to the dealer is in store?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Yes, I also have the same issue. No matter what temp I want, if I adjust it a little cooler or warmer, a blast of hot or cold air hits you for a few seconds before settling down. I don't like that, but there's nothing you can do - as scottb said - dealer says that's normal. Give me the old fashioned lever - how hard can it be to reach over and set it to what you wanted. That worked for me for over 40 years.

·
Registered
682 Posts
We are also having the same issue.
I do hope that someone at gm is looking into this.
They may say that it is normal but that does not mean it is right.

·
Registered
142 Posts
i agree with the last post...it is a "normal" piece of crap!

what gets me is why is it that every time they make a new vehicle it is a total redo and work the kinks out. you would think that every time a new vehicle comes from a manufacturer it would be improved from the last model...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am having the same problem with my 12 Terrain, on either manual or auto mode the air is either super hot or cool. there is no way to get warm air. very frustrating in WI. I took it to the dealer and they are going to try swapping the interior temp sensor... hopefully this works- i'll let you know...

·
Registered
289 Posts
CFRTim said:
Why don't you guys use the manual setting, instead of auto. That way you can adjust to your liking
There is no manual on the temp guage. You set it for 75 and the car adjusts hot and cold by itself till it's 75 inside. You can't say once you have the inside temp close to where you want that you want a mildly warm breeze. It blows full hot until it gets to temp and then just adjusts the fan speed in auto mode. Non-auto mode and it either blows hot or cold, the degrees mean little.

My Buick Rendezvous was like this. The turn nob was useless. One small turn from hot to cold was the same as turning it to full cold. There was no "middle."

·
Registered
300 Posts
Redhorseridge said:
I'm not sure what's going on with my new Equinox. I've had many GM cars before, all with digital temp control and auto setting, and setting it on auto at 72 was always perfect in these other cars. In the Nox, if I set it on 77 it blows cold air, but on 78 it blows super hot air. There is no "in between". I can't find a comfortable temperature using auto; can't find not using auto either. Anyone had a similar issue?
I had the same problem originally but I have mine working OK now. I took it off auto, made sure the AC is off, then set the temperature, I keep mine at 76. I turn the blower speed up until the vehicle is warm then turn the blower speed down to 2 and it seems to keep an even temperature without blowing hot and cold air, or at least if it does I don't feel it. I think if you have a fast blower speed the system doesn't have time to react and it goes from one extreme to the other.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Mine got better once it got colder. If it's 50 outside, setting the inside temp at 72 blew cold air; anything up to 76 blew cold air; then magically at 77 or 78, it blew hot air. Nothing in between.

But now that the temps are colder outside (40 or less), it seems to be working just fine. But I am going to talk to the dealer about it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
honestly, this is the only issue that bugs me about this vehicle...and it bugs me a lot. i would think it would be a software upgrade of some sort that could fix it...

·
Registered
289 Posts
pacman said:
I just don't like how long it takes for the heat to come on with 20-40 deg weather.
It should take as long as it takes for the engine temp needle to start to move. So if it takes 10 minutes for the engine to heat up, you don't get heat for 10 minutes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Redhorse and Scott, I have the same issues, this should not be too difficult. The manaul mode seems to want to work like auto, as soon as the interior temp reaches the temp setting it either blows hot or cold to adjust. I've driven other Nox/Terrains without Auto and the system works fine... it's a shame too, cause GM always had the best heating/cooling systems....

The dealer has ordered a new sensor for the interior... i'll let you know how it goes...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been having the same problem up here in the Great White North !
at 22.5 C the cabin is smoking hot and then at 21.5 it's cold.
I was given a Sierra pickup while they were looking at the equinox and tried the controls on it.... everything was the temp it should have been. I told this when I returned to the dealer and he said well you're not driving a Sierra you're driving an Equinox.... implying that you get what you paid for !?
I was more than a little insulted.

This weekend it did it again, on front window defog.... 22.5 hot as hell ~ 21.5 cold WTF?!

Two dealers have said that's the way the car is , to which I said , "I have a 2001 Lexus GS 430 with automatic temp control and it gets it right"

·
Registered
142 Posts
I replaced the air blend motor (or whatever it is called) about a 8 months ago...And it did help a lot. You had to remove the glove box to get to it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts