GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to compare notes on the heating and cooling system. I have two things that seem odd to me.

1) When I hit the "Auto" button the air conditioning light comes on every time. At first I thought maybe it was related to the sun hitting a sensor but over the weekend it was nighttime and down in the teens. When you hit "Auto" does your A/C come on?

2) I have the heated seats set to come on with remote start. I have not been able to witness this actually happening. What are the criteria for having the heated seats come on with the remote start?

Heating and cooling seem to be working ok outside of these two issues. Auto works ok if I turn off the A/C manually. Warms up nice and maintains the temp. Heated seats work fine as long as I manually turn them on.

Wondering if I have a bad temp sensor or something? Or are other people seeing similar behavior?

·
Registered
698 Posts
1) Yes my A/C comes on with Auto. Maybe it's an A/C 'ready' thing, because it still came on when the outside temp was -7*C the other night. I thought A/C wasn't supposed to come on in freezing temps.

2) I had this set initially to ON, through the Config menu but I guess I don't let my vehicle idle long enough to make the seats heat up before I get in because I've never felt the heat. I've since turned the setting OFF, and I just hit the button should the need arise. That may change when the temps get colder here and I let it idle longer. I don't like to let a brand new vehicle idle much.... I was once told that can 'wash down the cylinders with gas' and was bad for ring seating (or something like that).

If I turn off the A/C manually, Auto cuts off. This seems to be different behaviour than yours. I would prefer if I could choose the Auto mode 'bias', ie vents and defrost in lieu of floor and defrost as it seems to default to. Nothing like having freezing fingers and hot feet.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Just to add to what has already been said about the AC coming on:

There are two reasons for this. The first is because the vehicle will use both the heat and AC to regulate the temperature inside the vehicle, regardless of what the outside temperature is. The second reason is that the AC system wicks moisture out of the air, which helps keep frost from building up inside of your windows.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, we've had some chilly evenings here and I have still never felt my seat heater until after I get in and push the button. I've had my Terrain SLT-2 one month now and have 3,000 miles on it. (Yay, for finally finishing up the break-in period) and have used remote start and left it running for 7-8 minutes in ~20 degree F weather.

Has anyone ever felt them working with remote start?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have Nox this feature was set to off from the factory
to have the seats com on with remote start you have to
go to drivers configuration & turn this feature on.
They will remain on untill key is put in Ignition & turned on.
then you have to control them manually after that

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good thought and worth doublechecking.... I confirmed during lunch that the feature is set to On in the Config.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I set the seats to turn on with remote start and my heated seat functions, although the light on the dash does not come on. I would have the dealer check it out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I tried out the heated seats with remote start today and i let the truck run for about 6 mins before i got inside and the seats were definitely warmed up. i have the sle-2 with cloth seats, not sure if that matters or not.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Mobius said:
Just to add to what has already been said about the AC coming on:

There are two reasons for this. The first is because the vehicle will use both the heat and AC to regulate the temperature inside the vehicle, regardless of what the outside temperature is. The second reason is that the AC system wicks moisture out of the air, which helps keep frost from building up inside of your windows.
I have had frost on the inside of my windows about 3 or 4 times over the past few weeks. Temperature here is -5 C to -15 C on average when this has occurred. From what I read here, it is better to keep the Auto feature on to prevent this from happening? Any advice is welcomed.

This morning the entire front window was covered on the inside, but there was none on the outside at all.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Here's my take on the remote start and heated seats.

We use the remote start quite a bit and have it configured to turn on the heated seats.

First off the lights for the heated seats do not come on when remote started. This is explained in the owners manual and thats how it's supposed to work.

Secondly when you get in, insert the key and start the vehicle the heated seats turn off. You have to manually turn them back on after you start the vehicle. If you do not turn them back on, you will notice after several minutes that the seat is getting warm. Because they were heating when remote started the seat is already warm BUT the way the heaters are designed they need the weight of a person sitting in the seat to transfer the heat.

The outer layer of leather or cloth won't heat until there is weight applied to the seat. And even after you sit in the seat it takes a little bit of time for the heat to transfer to the point where you can actually feel it.

·
Registered
476 Posts
golfpro12 said:
I tried out the heated seats with remote start today and i let the truck run for about 6 mins before i got inside and the seats were definitely warmed up. i have the sle-2 with cloth seats, not sure if that matters or not.
While I have no actual proof I would suspect that the cloth heated seats would definitely feel warmer quicker than the leather seats.

This also brings up another point that may come into play. With the threads on the rear defroster not working due to a low charge battery state the same could apply to the heated seats. If the battery falls below that threshold and won't turn on the rear defroster it stands to reason that the heated seats wouldn't work either. So if you know the seats aren't heating then it could be a battery issue.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Random heating/cooling question of my own.. For the Terrain(and other things with a digital thermostat), what is the actual difference between a/c and heat if the digital thermostat is set to the same temperature?

·
Registered
476 Posts
jdubs1211 said:
Random heating/cooling question of my own.. For the Terrain(and other things with a digital thermostat), hat is the actual difference between a/c andheat if the digital thermostat is set to the same temperature?
The system picks heating or A/C depending on the outside temperature.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Black Granite LTZ said:
While I have no actual proof I would suspect that the cloth heated seats would definitely feel warmer quicker than the leather seats.

This also brings up another point that may come into play. With the threads on the rear defroster not working due to a low charge battery state the same could apply to the heated seats. If the battery falls below that threshold and won't turn on the rear defroster it stands to reason that the heated seats wouldn't work either. So if you know the seats aren't heating then it could be a battery issue.
.....and the heated mirrors will not be functioning either.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It looks like your queastion has been answered, but here's how it works. Using the auto setting your AC light will come on but the compressor will not run unless the ambient temp requires it to cool the vehicle to the selected temperature. It's simply ready in case it's needed. None of the climate control lights will come on during remote start. When you get in, insert the key and turn it to run it will deactivate your auto heated seats, you'll need to turn them back on by pushing the desired seat button(s).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Black Granite LTZ said:
The system picks heating or A/C depending on the outside temperature.
I figured that.. what I am actually curious about is what is the difference between heat and a/c if the thermostat is set to the same temp?

·
Registered
476 Posts
jdubs1211 said:
I figured that.. what I am actually curious about is what is the difference between heat and a/c if the thermostat is set to the same temp?
Maybe my brain is having problems processing the question.

If the thermostat is set to say 72 degrees and it's 30 degrees outside it will deliver heat.
If the thermostat is set to 72 degrees and it's 80 degrees outside it will deliver cool air from the A/C.

Now if you are asking what happens if the thermostat is set to 72 degrees and it's 72 degrees outside then it would probably depend on the inside temperature. There is a sensor that monitors the cabin temperature as well as a sensor for the outside temp. They "talk" to each other to determine heating or cooling.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Black Granite LTZ said:
Maybe my brain is having problems processing the question.

If the thermostat is set to say 72 degrees and it's 30 degrees outside it will deliver heat.
If the thermostat is set to 72 degrees and it's 80 degrees outside it will deliver cool air from the A/C.

Now if you are asking what happens if the thermostat is set to 72 degrees and it's 72 degrees outside then it would probably depend on the inside temperature. There is a sensor that monitors the cabin temperature as well as a sensor for the outside temp. They "talk" to each other to determine heating or cooling.
Yea.. thats basically what I was asking

1 - 19 of 19 Posts