GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for the H11 bulbs, I see headlights that have a Blue Tint ( not a solid blue), are these the Hyper-white?

Not looking for LED

Are they 8000k or 10000?

·
Registered
554 Posts
Blue tint are in the 8-10k range. White 5-6k , regular halogens are in the 3.5k range. The higher blue tint light gets absorbed by dark things like trees, looks cool but poor light reflects back to the drivers eye when behind the wheel. Experience speaking . Make 6k the limit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Blue tint are in the 8-10k range. White 5-6k , regular halogens are in the 3.5k range. The higher blue tint light gets absorbed by dark things like trees, looks cool but poor light reflects back to the drivers eye when behind the wheel. Experience speaking . Make 6k the limit.
You are correct as far as the colors, and I agree, 6000K has always been my preference, but typically the bulbs you see at the store, like a silverstar, that have a blue coating on the don't really look all that blue in the car, they'll be whiter than OEM style, but probably no more than 4000K - 5000K max. HID run up into the 8000 - 10000K range easy, and those are just a waste. There is a girl near where I live that has 30000K pinkish purple HID. Looks cute on her car all decked out in pink, but stupid going down the road at night, she can't see anything

·
Registered
27 Posts
Watch out if you go over-wattage. Did that on a Chrysler minivan and overheated the bulb socket.

That was the end of my "blue" phase.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
What I want to know is: HOW DO WE STOP PEOPLE FROM PUTTING BLINDING HEADLIGHTS ON THEIR VEHICLES ??? !!!

I'm so sick of these morons. And don't get me started with the idiots who drive around with the HIGH BEAMS ON.

You know ... the multi-function switch on my '02 Impala is broken - has been for years. It's a common failure and I've never fixed it. No big deal ... it just means I have to hold the stick with my left hand to keep the high beams ON. Gotten to the point where I believe that's the way it should work on ALL vehicles ... to stop the morons and idiots from driving around endlessly with their HIGH BEAMS ON. See it ALL THE TIME ... even on the Interstate! And I'm not talking about elderly people, either. See it a LOT with dolts in 4-wheel trucks. What's wrong with these people?? Cops ought to start pulling them over to see what ELSE is going on inside their vehicles.

·
Registered
73 Posts
What I want to know is: HOW DO WE STOP PEOPLE FROM PUTTING BLINDING HEADLIGHTS ON THEIR VEHICLES ??? !!!

I'm so sick of these morons. And don't get me started with the idiots who drive around with the HIGH BEAMS ON.

You know ... the multi-function switch on my '02 Impala is broken - has been for years. It's a common failure and I've never fixed it. No big deal ... it just means I have to hold the stick with my left hand to keep the high beams ON. Gotten to the point where I believe that's the way it should work on ALL vehicles ... to stop the morons and idiots from driving around endlessly with their HIGH BEAMS ON. See it ALL THE TIME ... even on the Interstate! And I'm not talking about elderly people, either. See it a LOT with dolts in 4-wheel trucks. What's wrong with these people?? Cops ought to start pulling them over to see what ELSE is going on inside their vehicles.
I think 3/4 of the time it's not their high beams, it's just that they've swapped cheap LEDs into reflectors meant for halogen bulbs and now have poor cutoff, tons of scatter, etc. Seems several of the college-age guys at work swap these in and then judge how well they work by how many times other drivers flash their brights at them.

I shouldn't just pick on the kids though. My neighbor is into his 50's and loves how bright his new drop in headlights are on his Jeep, again, judging by how often he gets flashed.

I researched and researched on brighter bulbs for my dual sport. Finally settled on one that I found enough reviews, beam shots, etc on. Works extremely well, and cost probably 2-4 times more than some of the eBay crap. But, I'm that a-hole blinding guys.

Ok, enough rant. The point I want to make is that upgrading hesdlights is fine, but try and find something that has proper beam patterns. Good cutoff and controlled scatter make a better light for your vehicle, and for other drivers. A trillion lumens is worthless if most of it comes out of the headlights at a 30 degree upward angle. It's like many of the mountain bike light shootouts, a good light usually beats a cheapie whether the specs reflect it or not. My old $100, 200 lumen helmet light isn't much different than that $19, "5800 lumen" light that I had to give a try since it was so cheap.

·
Registered
23 Posts
There are multiple scenario's that are causing the brightness abuse. The pickups are notorious for having this problem when people level them instead of leaving the factory rake. This results in the cut off on the highlight moving up way too far when all that is needed is a simple adjustment.

Next up are when people change the bulbs and don't bother to check the cut off, not to mention when people put HIDs or LED's in Reflector headlights because they fail to do any research.

The picture shows how to ensure that your headlights and driving lights have the same cutoff after changing them, regardless if it is a upgrade or just a change of burnt out bulb. The picture shows two sections of tape on the door for each side. The first thing to do is measure the current lights and using blue painters tape, put a 4" or chunk at the center of the light. Change the first bulb and compare them for height, scatter and center.

If you notice the light on the right has a hot spot in the center and rest pretty much sucked and that was the factory bulb, with causes people to change them or run their high beams. The lower line on the door is for the driving lights to ensure they also had the correct cutoff, scatter and center. Simply put with a little effort and forethought, it is easy to upgrade the factory lights without blinding the other drivers.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
I put in a pair of the SYLVANIA - H11 SilverStar Ultra Headlight Bulbs in my "11 LTZ. These are definitely brighter than the original bulbs, but I'm still not happy with how far they reach down the road. Is there an other halogen bulb, or even an LED bulb that will reach farther but still wont blind oncoming?

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
Since you have projector light housings, as long as you don't raise the angle of the lights, you should not have a problem with blinding oncoming cars. I would go with an HID set-up, or else if you search this forum, you will see that JayTee had found an LED setup that required very little modification, and he was impressed with the results. In 2010, I replaced my Halogens with HIDs, but if i were doing it today, I would probably go the LED route.

BTW, if you are able to get your money back for the Silverstars, do it. I had found that they have a very short life, and Sylvania admits it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Since you have projector light housings, as long as you don't raise the angle of the lights, you should not have a problem with blinding oncoming cars. I would go with an HID set-up, or else if you search this forum, you will see that JayTee had found an LED setup that required very little modification, and he was impressed with the results. In 2010, I replaced my Halogens with HIDs, but if i were doing it today, I would probably go the LED route.

BTW, if you are able to get your money back for the Silverstars, do it. I had found that they have a very short life, and Sylvania admits it.
Do I have projector headlights on my 2011 Equinox? I thought they were reflector type.

Thanks for the info. I'll do some more searching.

·
Registered
9,971 Posts
Do I have projector headlights on my 2011 Equinox? I thought they were reflector type.

Thanks for the info. I'll do some more searching.

The '10-17 LTZ came with projectors, and the others came with reflector. Do your look like big (about 2-3") clear marbles ? If yes, then they are projectors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts