GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got around to booking in to get the idle issue looked at finally. Drop off scheduled for 8am on friday this week.
Going to get them to look at a few other things too while it is in. Just rolled 11,000km and a 2nd oil-change to get Synthetic back in to see if the idle crap went away but it didn't.

I have that rough/noisy idle crap up to 1500rpm. Now that the windows are down it is unbearable. Has anyone come to a firm conclusion of what is causing that?
I can deal with the Direct Injection ticks but this new rattly pingy crap has got to go.
This thing (to me) sounds worse than a ford windstar with a loose timing chain...

Rear wiper is going to get looked at, the whole thing is loose in there and noisier than all hell when operating.

Gonna ask them about the drivers door alignment issue, see if there is anything they can do without booking it into the body shop which isnt out of the question since this has been from day 1.

Transmission has been a tad sloppy recently. Not sure what would cause that.

Tires will be rotated, my jack cant lift both tires off the ground and I have a coupon so that wont cost me anything lol
(i hate doing the spare tire mambo one tire at a time)

And the radio issue with the speakers cutting in and out is on the list as well.

Hopefully they can take care of anything important on Friday, really don't want to take the Monte to the lake this weekend, although that might be a tad quicker :lol:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Spare tire Mambo ;D Ya for something that should be so easy it sure is a PIA to do at home :banghead: That's one of those things I decided isn't worth my time doing myself anymore.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no doubt. my Floor jack works great for the Monte Carlo with the directional tires but it just isn't enough for the Terrain.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First response from the Shop is "Oh thats just the Direct Injection" i told them to drive it around the building with the windows open and tell me that again...

Got the feeling i will end up at another shop given the attitude i got this morning from them.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
yeah, its a noisy engine. i picked up someone the other day..they said the engine didnt sound good,making ticking noise. i had to say 'thats normal'.

·
Registered
368 Posts
wrusprod said:
yeah, its a noisy engine. i picked up someone the other day..they said the engine didnt sound good,making ticking noise. i had to say 'thats normal'.
That ticking... as opposed to the startup noise... have you asked about the TSB to add the fuel pump noise isolator? That's been installed on mine, and it does make a subtle but noticeable difference in making the engine quieter I think.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its definitely more than the Injector noise. i just got the call back and it is something to do with the high pressure fuel pump. They had to order a new one up from the states, so i will have to go back in in a couple weeks for that.

They told me that that pump in particular wasnt actually functioning properly. Not sure how it relates to the noise issue.

I'll add more info once i actually see the work order.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The report shows that my cause was related to TSB 11-06-01-002 Anyone with access to tell me what that actually is?

At least im not crazy lol

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
11-06-01-002

"#11-06-01-002: Clicking, Ticking Noise from Rear of Engine (Install Sound Insulator Between High Pressure Fuel Pump and Fuel Pipe Connection) - (Apr 12, 2011)

Subject: Clicking, Ticking Noise from Rear of Engine (Install Sound Insulator Between High Pressure Fuel Pump and Fuel Pipe Connection)

Models: 2010-2011 Buick LaCrosse, Regal

2010-2011 Chevrolet Equinox

2010-2011 GMC Terrain

Equipped with 2.4L Engine RPO LAF

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Condition
Some customers may comment on a clicking, ticking noise coming from the rear of the engine.

Upon investigation, the technician may find the sound coming from the high pressure fuel pump to fuel pipe connection area.

Cause
The 2.4L engine uses a direct injection fuel system that operates in a range of very high fuel pressures. A direct injection fuel system produces a rapid, clicking, ticking noise that can be heard coming from the engine compartment. The sound is more evident when outside around the vehicle or when the hood is open. The sound is more noticeable during idle, and is more frequent during a cold start but lessens once the engine is warm.

The rapid ticking noise on cold start up is the high pressure fuel pump, which is located on the rear of the cylinder head building up high fuel pressure. When the engine warm-up is completed, the high pressure fuel pump will continue to tick at a slower rate of approximately one tick per second during idle. There are additional clicking noises that will come from the fuel injectors pulsing on and off under the higher fuel pressures.

Correction
Install a sound insulator between the high pressure fuel pump and fuel pipe connection, following the procedure below. This will make the sound coming from the high pressure fuel pump area less noticeable, but it will not completely eliminate it.

Important: DO NOT replace any parts for this kind of clicking or ticking noise as this is a normal operating characteristic of the direct injection high pressure fuel system.

:cheers:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So it is just an insulator, i wonder why they said they have to replace the pump. must be making themselves sound important.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Tdog said:
That ticking... as opposed to the startup noise... have you asked about the TSB to add the fuel pump noise isolator? That's been installed on mine, and it does make a subtle but noticeable difference in making the engine quieter I think.
yeah, the constant ticking noise...with what i have gone through this week....I will live with the ticking...I'm used to it from my previous vehicle, HHR. thanks for the info Tdog!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Parts in ahead of schedule. Got the call today, booked in for Tuesday for the install of the insulator.

·
Registered
246 Posts
With my diesel this ticking is common place, because we all have the high pressure injection pumps, that go to even higher pressures. My injectors wont even pop open until 2200psi, so they tick. Indirect injection gas cars had 45psi injection lines compared to 900psi at idle with these. I dont see how that it is necessary, since the injection should be during the intake stroke when there is a vacuum in the cylinder, but GM must have studied it.

The diesels have to have it because they inject near the end of the compression stroke where pressure can hit 2000psi while injecting fuel.

The noise I have heard on videos on cold start sounds like a fuel pump rattling. My low pressure transfer pump rattles like this all the time and its worse when it doesnt have fuel available to pressurize, so it cavitates. I wonder if this cold start noise is because it lost its prime, either from the HPFP seal leaking into the crankcase, or the normal pump in the fuel tank. I dont understand why they had to have a 45psi pump to prime the HPFP, should have just needed like 15psi, but maybe the 45psi pump has good reliability history. Or the noise could simply be the pump pressuring from 45 to 900psi on first start up, or maybe its supposed to deadhead and stop forcing fuel into the rail, but its not on first start up.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just curious, did the HPFP insulator resolve your issue?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dont know, the install appointment is tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got it back, it is still noisier than it was new but some of the rattle is gone. I'll probably just put up with it. :banghead:

·
Registered
10,409 Posts
Cameron said:
Got it back, it is still noisier than it was new but some of the rattle is gone. I'll probably just put up with it. :banghead:
PLEASE don't settle - these are $30K vehicles and should run correctly. Complain until it is fixed to your satisfaction. Otherwise, lemon-law the vehicle.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i am thinking about taking it to the purchasing dealer and seeing if they can do/hear anything different. Im not 100% sure i like the result from the dealer i went to.
Obvious complaint and they throw a TSB fix at it. neither time did they actually drive the thing more than half a km

1 - 18 of 18 Posts