GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if the Nav infotainment system has an available module or some other way to allow reception of HD radio? My BMW has a receiver built in and there are some very good HD stations for jazz and classical music in my area. Would be a nice feature for the Terrain as well.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thought about that add-on SnowItch, but I'd rather opt for the invisible module. I knew the head unit was Alpine and it seems most Alpine units either have HD installed, or available by module. I would think the module would give radio data on the nav screen similar to the sat radio. Just thinkin' !!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Snow---I'll let you or somebody else try this first. If anyone finds a good solution, I'm all in. But my tech skills are so so at best.

·
Registered
4 Posts
jimmyisland said:
is it possible to use Microsoft Zune HD to receive HD radio? anyone got experience?
Just registered to say yes, it's possible. Here's a pic of what Zune HD's radio interface looks like while playing an HD station: http://twitpic.com/kw5ap

I was also reading a thread over in the Zune forums (http://forums.zune.net/0/1/588262/ShowPost.aspx#588262) that was talking about Zune-capable head units and this Kenwood unit was mentioned http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/In-Dash_CD_n_DVD_Receivers/1-DIN_CD_Receiver/KIV-BT900

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the welcome! Yeah, no I don't think the HD would be able to do that. I read through the thread and didn't understand that he was looking to specifically connect it to a particular head unit as opposed to just wondering if the Zune HD had HD radio capability that could be used via JUST aux. I was seeing the other units mentioned in the thread and got confused. I know SoundGate's CORE system allows you to tuck away older Zune modes and control your Zune with a wired FOB, but I don't think it supports the HD and the older Zunes don't have HD radio. Still that solution doesn't interface with the steering wheel controls so much as seek to go around them. I also don't think the USB port will recognize any Zune. From what I know Ford's Sync platform, the Camero, and the Kenwood unit I just mentioned support Zune audio playback at this moment. But I could be very wrong. And I still don't know if that includes radio, lol...

I remember reading that some of the '11 GM vehicles would get Zune support so perhaps newer Terrains will be compatible?
http://socialmedia.mikegannotti.com/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?ID=76

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Welcome Solar257, and thanks for the great input.
I haven't had the pleasure of listening to HD radio yet, so I'm intrigued to say the least.

I find myself often times thinking that XM Satellite is HD when in fact it's not.
I'd be more interested in a hidden HD adapter, be it in the Alpine controller or via USB or AUX ports.

Anyway, I have to do some reading up on HD radio so if I stumble onto something that may add some value to this thread (besides this useless rambling, LOL) I will surely share it with you all!
:)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Gearhead--When I started this thread I was really concerned about a lack of HD Radio capacity in the Terrain. The quality of HD Radio fidelity is quite remarkable and I used it almost exclusively over Satellite & regular FM in the Bimmer. I still use it when not driving the Terrain and will continue the quest to find an add on module to the Pioneer/Alpine unit w/Nav when availabe for my car. Ideally, it would integrate right into the infotainment system of our car, leaving the USB port for other accessories. From what I read and hear, many FM stations will convert to full HD over the coming years anyway. Does anyone know if HD Radio is integrated into the 2010 LaCrosse or Caddy SRX?? Looks to be similar , if not same, head unit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
@gearhead
HD radio is pretty cool. It's like regular radio only better sounding. When compared to XM or Sirius you don't get nearly as much selection, because you're still limited to the same frequency bands as regular FM. But like in the picture, you do get sub channels for some stations. A few people are looking to plug their Zunes into their cars, sync via wi-fi and forget, so yeah I'm trying to keep up on the head unit news too. So I guess a Zune HD + Zune capable head unit is the next best thing.

@SnowItch
So the Terrain will recognize some Zunes but not others? I just read ecolodge's issue about the Zune 8 being finicky (http://www.terrainforum.net/index.php?topic=217.0). But any other reports? I'll ask and see if I can get a list of what vehicles are supported. Also (off topic) what don't you like about the Zune software (PM maybe?)?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Thanks Islander, Solar257, Narg, SnowItch and others in this thread for giving me a new project for the summer...
HD for the Terrain!

There are many radio stations transmitting HD in Detroit so I may take the plunge by getting an HD receiver for the house first.
We have a roof antenna (yes, with a rotor LOL, it's the last backup in case satellite and cable fail LOL) so we should be able to pull Toledo and possibly Cleveland FM on a good day.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Geez Gearhead---finding projects for the Nox/Terrain on this site isn't enough?? Now you've got me thinking how I go about doing the HD radio in MY house as well. Thanks back at ya!!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Islander said:
Geez Gearhead---finding projects for the Nox/Terrain on this site isn't enough?? Now you've got me thinking how I go about doing the HD radio in MY house as well. Thanks back at ya!!
LOLOLOL!
Sorry Islander, but I've been meaning to take the HD-FM plunge in the house for a while.
With spring coming to our area, trust me, I'll be up to my armpits in alligators with projects.
HD sound in the house can easily be piped to listen to outside while working in the garage and yard.
8) ;D 8)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Solar257 said:
@gearhead
HD radio is pretty cool. It's like regular radio only better sounding. When compared to XM or Sirius you don't get nearly as much selection, because you're still limited to the same frequency bands as regular FM. But like in the picture, you do get sub channels for some stations. A few people are looking to plug their Zunes into their cars, sync via wi-fi and forget, so yeah I'm trying to keep up on the head unit news too. So I guess a Zune HD + Zune capable head unit is the next best thing.

@SnowItch
So the Terrain will recognize some Zunes but not others? I just read ecolodge's issue about the Zune 8 being finicky (http://www.terrainforum.net/index.php?topic=217.0). But any other reports? I'll ask and see if I can get a list of what vehicles are supported. Also (off topic) what don't you like about the Zune software (PM maybe?)?

No Pioneer units in these cars.

·
Registered
4 Posts
@dsulli37
I'm confused what do Pioneer units have to do with what I mentioned? So far I've mentioned Kenwood. Is there something special about Pioneer I should know?

@gearhead
Have some fun with your HD project!

@SnowItch
I'm wondering if the Zune compatibility is the difference in the head units between the Terrain and the Equinox? I was reading up on the two cars and Wikipedia says they share the same design platform (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Theta_platform) but is it possible that they have different electronics? Or is is it that different types of Zunes within the Terrain model family do not work?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Islander said:
Hey Gearhead--When I started this thread I was really concerned about a lack of HD Radio capacity in the Terrain. The quality of HD Radio fidelity is quite remarkable and I used it almost exclusively over Satellite & regular FM in the Bimmer. I still use it when not driving the Terrain and will continue the quest to find an add on module to the Pioneer/Alpine unit w/Nav when availabe for my car. Ideally, it would integrate right into the infotainment system of our car, leaving the USB port for other accessories. From what I read and hear, many FM stations will convert to full HD over the coming years anyway. Does anyone know if HD Radio is integrated into the 2010 LaCrosse or Caddy SRX?? Looks to be similar , if not same, head unit.
@solar I meant to reply to this post.

·
Registered
54 Posts
SnowItch said:
Compatibility isn't between Nox and Terrain (they are the same - Alpine), it is between different Zune models.
It has nothing to do with headunits. Everything is done in the PDIM. Alpine only makes the DVD unit. If you want navi, Bosch makes that one.

@snowitch...where did "GMC On-Line Resources (Owner's Manuals, OnStar, Alpine, Pioneer, Recalls)" thread go????

·
Registered
32 Posts
dsulli37 said:
@snowitch...where did "GMC On-Line Resources (Owner's Manuals, OnStar, Alpine, Pioneer, Recalls)" thread go????
Try the SEARCH function in the upper right. Entering "owners manual" yielded several posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
dsulli37 said:
Specific thread is missing. I only have a cached copy. Did snowitch erase it?
I Googled "GMC on line resources" and was directed back to this forum on the 1st link "An Error Has Occurred!
The topic or board you are looking for appears to be either missing or off limits to you."

1 - 20 of 22 Posts