GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the preverbial massive rock chip on my 3 week old Nox. Now I purposefeully dont get glass insurance because typically, you get a busted windshield and go for a new one. The glass place says " Do you have glass coverage? OK its 500 bucks". Then you get your insurance to pay it and your rates go up. Tell the same glass guy that you are paying for the glass and not the insurance company and the 500 dollar windshield is now 300 bucks. Thats why I dont buy glass coverage. However, as I stated earlier, I get my new Nox and after 3 weeks of owning it I get my first doosie of a rock chip in 15 years. I go to get it repaired immediately and no one can get me in. So I proceed to go to a movie with my wife. I then use onstar remote to start the car and it defaults to defrost the front window and guess what......the crack runs 8" each direction from the epicenter. So I think. Oh well. Bad luck. Probably 3-$400 for a windshiled and I've saved well over that over the years in not buying glass insurance. If I had got the chip repaired when I first tried it would have been 30 bucks. Now that it has run a total of 16" its a hundred bucks to fix and the crack is still fairly visible. But guess what a new windshiled costs for a 2012 without lane departure warning? $700 in Canada!!! Apparently, the windshield changed from 2011 (my last nox was a 2011) to 2012 and increased about $250.00. Yup, 450 bucks for last years windshield vs 700 for this years. Im still ahead for not buying glass insurance over the years so thats not my complaint. This is merely to let you guys know how much this glass is worth and get your chips fixed immediately and don't use remote start or defrost until it is fixed.

·
Registered
432 Posts
i got quoted $185 installed for a replacement on my 2010 Terrain. No sense getting glass coverage at that price. Hell thats cheap enough that you can get a new windshield every year lol

·
Registered
43 Posts
I tend to replace one a year. The dealer offered the "crystal vision" windshield treatment and replacement for 6 years for 500 bucks, so I paid up front for it. USAA won't provide glass coverage in Alaska, so this is money in my pocket as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
300 Posts
If my insurance company raised my rates for collecting on a windshield I'd be looking for a new insurance company. My glass coverage is part of my comprehensive coverage and over the years I've had several windshields replaced plus one or two vandalism claims and have yet to have them increase my rates. The only time I've had rate increases is when I've bought a new car and as the car gets older the rates go back down.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Are they replacing your Terrain windshield with a laminated windshield? I would makes ure of that.

·
Registered
977 Posts
My insurance has never gone up when I have filed a glass coverage claim (Full Glass no deductable with State Farm). I had a 2003 VUE and it had a long winshiled. I had to have it replaced 2 times. Safelight charges $474 installed for a new winshield. I would make sure that the glass for the replacement is like the OEM which is Acustic glass. The front passenger and drivers windows are laminate that are usually what winshileds are made of.

All winshileds must be laminate. $185 is a low quote. Where did you get that?

I did a quote for one of the front windows form Safelight $634.95! They do mention that the glass is laminate

·
Registered
432 Posts
im sure the $185 was a buddy quote. It was a firend of mine working at a dealership. That said im postive it isnt OEM glass but i think it was laminate. i would have to check and make sure.

·
Registered
682 Posts
As far as I am aware all windshields are laminated. They have been that way for many decades. It is the side glass that is
you can get that is either laminated or not.

·
Registered
748 Posts
darkside said:
As far as I am aware all windshields are laminated. They have been that way for many decades. It is the side glass that is
you can get that is either laminated or not.
Youre right. They are. What I meant was make sure to get the Acoustic glass. I believe its different than the regular laminate.

·
Registered
87 Posts
curtm220 said:
I tend to replace one a year. The dealer offered the "crystal vision" windshield treatment and replacement for 6 years for 500 bucks, so I paid up front for it. USAA won't provide glass coverage in Alaska, so this is money in my pocket as far as I'm concerned.
Do you mean "crystal fusion?" Never heard of crystal vision...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Winshieldstogo.com shows 2011 @ $304 and 2012 @ $710, so definitely a difference. It didn't ask about collision warning and lane departure options. Other than the collision/lane system, I wonder what could be different. Liking more and more that I got windshield coverage for 6 years for $500!!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Don B said:
If my insurance company raised my rates for collecting on a windshield I'd be looking for a new insurance company. My glass coverage is part of my comprehensive coverage and over the years I've had several windshields replaced plus one or two vandalism claims and have yet to have them increase my rates. The only time I've had rate increases is when I've bought a new car and as the car gets older the rates go back down.
are you in ontario, canada? we pay the highest rates for insurance in the whole country, and 5 times fold.
Never had an accident, not a single claim, outside Toronto, with all saving, i am paying $181/month for my nox. No tickets. the way the story goes here, a claim si a claim and that's enough to rip you off.

·
Registered
67 Posts
RNOX said:
My insurance has never gone up when I have filed a glass coverage claim (Full Glass no deductable with State Farm). I had a 2003 VUE and it had a long winshiled. I had to have it replaced 2 times. Safelight charges $474 installed for a new winshield. I would make sure that the glass for the replacement is like the OEM which is Acustic glass. The front passenger and drivers windows are laminate that are usually what winshileds are made of.

All winshileds must be laminate. $185 is a low quote. Where did you get that?

I did a quote for one of the front windows form Safelight $634.95! They do mention that the glass is laminate
I think they all are required by law to be laminated now. Not for the sides or back windows. The 12 nox has the front sides the same as an upgrade for this year (so i read)

·
Registered
977 Posts
canadian_bacon said:
I think they all are required by law to be laminated now. Not for the sides or back windows. The 12 nox has the front sides the same as an upgrade for this year (so i read)
Correct .. All winshields (I can speak for the US) have to be laminate and has been so for a long time. The current generation of Nox has laminate front passenger and driver windows probably for noise reduction. If you look at the the corner of the front window glasses it specifies it is laminate.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
kaptain said:
Got the preverbial massive rock chip on my 3 week old Nox. Now I purposefeully dont get glass insurance because typically, you get a busted windshield and go for a new one. The glass place says " Do you have glass coverage? OK its 500 bucks". Then you get your insurance to pay it and your rates go up. Tell the same glass guy that you are paying for the glass and not the insurance company and the 500 dollar windshield is now 300 bucks. Thats why I dont buy glass coverage. However, as I stated earlier, I get my new Nox and after 3 weeks of owning it I get my first doosie of a rock chip in 15 years. I go to get it repaired immediately and no one can get me in. So I proceed to go to a movie with my wife. I then use onstar remote to start the car and it defaults to defrost the front window and guess what......the crack runs 8" each direction from the epicenter. So I think. Oh well. Bad luck. Probably 3-$400 for a windshiled and I've saved well over that over the years in not buying glass insurance. If I had got the chip repaired when I first tried it would have been 30 bucks. Now that it has run a total of 16" its a hundred bucks to fix and the crack is still fairly visible. But guess what a new windshiled costs for a 2012 without lane departure warning? $700 in Canada!!! Apparently, the windshield changed from 2011 (my last nox was a 2011) to 2012 and increased about $250.00. Yup, 450 bucks for last years windshield vs 700 for this years. Im still ahead for not buying glass insurance over the years so thats not my complaint. This is merely to let you guys know how much this glass is worth and get your chips fixed immediately and don't use remote start or defrost until it is fixed.

Just order a 2011 windshield then, its the exact same size and will be laminated,, heck, price out a 2010, it may be less.
[/color]

·
Registered
300 Posts
canadian_bacon said:
are you in ontario, canada? we pay the highest rates for insurance in the whole country, and 5 times fold.
Never had an accident, not a single claim, outside Toronto, with all saving, i am paying $181/month for my nox. No tickets. the way the story goes here, a claim si a claim and that's enough to rip you off.
Wow! Full coverage on my 2011 Equinox and full coverage on a 2003 Pontiac Vibe costs me about half of that annually. That also includes a higher amount of coverage on my liability insurance then what is normal coverage.

BTW: I live in Wisconsin.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
POLRCUB said:
Just order a 2011 windshield then, its the exact same size and will be laminated,, heck, price out a 2010, it may be less.
[/color]
I would love to. But it appears that my new Nox has a black box built around the rear view mirror that looks like it houses some kind of electronics. While I do remember my 2011 Nox having that as well, I dont think it was the same dimensions (the box behind the mirror). I think that even though my new nox doesnt have the lane departure option, I bet that the windshield still needs to be for a 2012 Nox because of fitment for that black box even if I dont have lane departure. I'll ask my dealer if the 2011 windshield will suffice on my 2012 without lane departure. If not I'm waiting for a year or more till it comes down in price with popularity. For now the crack is filled and doesnt look like its gonna run any more. But still a warning to the rest of you. Get your rock chips filled fast and dont run your defog until you do!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts