GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2011 but passed on the roof racks:-( Now I want to get a Kayak. Can I use those foam blocks and be OK - Also will the antenna get in the way?

·
Registered
10,506 Posts
Jimdellavolpe said:
I bought a 2011 but passed on the roof racks:-( Now I want to get a Kayak. Can I use those foam blocks and be OK - Also will the antenna get in the way?
The antenna is simply threaded on. Righty-tighty, lefty-loosey.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Jimdellavolpe said:
I wouldn't...not sure what foam blocks you're referring to...but it is sure to concentrate the weight...add wind pressure and I think your roof is going to suffer.

The roof rack would have distributed the weight and pressure

Just my 0.02

·
Registered
10,506 Posts
Plus, the metal on the roof is pretty flimsey. When you wash/dry the roof, it flexes quite a bit. I would be concerned about carrying anything up there without an actual roof rack.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Depending on the shape and length of your boat.........

Put one set of blocks on the roof just behind the windshield,on the curve of the roof,slightly over the windshield,1 inch or so.

And the other set just in front of the rear hatch or better yet on the hatch.strongest parts ....

If your boat is basically flat you may have a problem with the blocks being to low ,and the kayak hitting the roof in the middle...

And even if you had gotten the roof racks they are pretty useless for boats unless you have a short white water/play boat.

I had to go with a Yakima addition to carry my 17 ft canoe.

·
Registered
111 Posts
We haul a kayak with our Mini Clubman, and are planning on buying the crossrails for the Equinox to hold the kayak racks. No way would I set it on the roof because it's not meant for it. That is why they make roof racks, even back when the sheetmetal was thicker on the old wagons they still had racks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
How long is your boat.....................I think that the spacing of the rails is only 30-32 inches on a Terrain,and set quite far back on the vehicle

1 - 7 of 7 Posts