GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had to replace the struts for their non-powered hatch/liftgate? I noticed mine starting to get a little weak and the cylinders seem to be leaking/rusting. I guess getting 6 years out of the original ones is normal considering the hatch only gets used 2-3 times per week.

Ordered Strong Arm replacements and hope to install them this weekend.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
still have the factory struts on my 2013 Equinox.

though I believe it was sometime this year... that I finally changed them on my 2010 Traverse and 2003 Trailblazer.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was kind of suprising they need replacing at only 60,000 miles. Mine still hold up the hatch when fully open, but they are getting noticeably weaker to where I can close the hatch by just pushing down with one or two fingers instead of needing both hands to close it. Physically, the strut bodies/cylinders are starting to get small spots of rust on them and there is rust and crud building up where the pistons go in to the cylinders. The release clips on the struts are also rusting.

A set of AC Delco replacements would have been $90. The Strong Arm replacements were $40 for the set. Should be good enough.

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
Strong arm used to carry a lifetime warranty at advance auto.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Strong arm used to carry a lifetime warranty at advance auto.
12 month warranty these days. The AC Delco replacement struts have a lifetime warranty, so I guess that is what you are paying for when you pay 2x the price. I figured the OEM ones only went 6 years, might as well replace them with something else. I will most likely trade the Equinox in the next year or two so these Strong Arm ones should suffice during that time. If they end up giving out in the next 12 months I will just get another set under warranty, but otherwise if they give out after 12 months I will just try a different brand and still have spent less than buying AC Delco replacement parts.

·
Registered
2013 GMC Terrain SLE-2 3.6L Crystal Red Tintcoat
54 Posts
Just replaced mine about a month ago. Ordered a pair of Stabilus struts from Amazon. Easy to install and work great. The hatch now flys up with ease. Also just replaced hood strut with Stabilus as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts