GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Upon starting our 21K miles 2011 Terrain I heard the dreaded start-up rattle for about 1 second. I know there's many posts on this topic so I don't want to start a new thread. Can someone point me to the most current thread on this problem? Has it finally been resolved? Thanks.

·
Registered
88 Posts
No.

My terrain has every day the star up noise, hard shift , loose of power etc.

The rattle star up noise sometimes is for 1 second 3 or 5 can be more strong or less but it is.

Almost a year go to dealer 7 - 8 times.

Last time the car was check by the field rep. and the service manager. They play games.

Shame the dealer and GM.

·
Registered
368 Posts
DavidPJ said:
Upon starting our 21K miles 2011 Terrain I heard the dreaded start-up rattle for about 1 second. I know there's many posts on this topic so I don't want to start a new thread. Can someone point me to the most current thread on this problem? Has it finally been resolved? Thanks.
On the general section of the forum, there is an "Issues" thread; and on the Equinox section, there's a "Noisy Startup" thread. Both have huge numbers of views so they're pretty easy to spot.

The general guidance on the startup noise issue is covered in bulletin 0562, which in turn references recall 11195. Both are available on the "Recalls" section of the forum. In summary, taken together, the complete steps seem to be ECM update(s); replacing the actuator solenoids; replacing the actuators. Many forum members also recommend an oil change. The work needs to be done at the same time or at least in this order. One important footnote: the data posted here indicate that the date (and therefore VIN) range of recall 11195 is too narrow. The reported build dates of affected vehicles run from Sept 2010 through June 2011.

The good news is that the number of vehicles that no longer have exhibited symptoms is increasing since new solenoid and actuator parts have become available (see posts from barry83 regarding the actuators). Also many thanks to the guys who have provided information to help solve this riddle.

Where repairs have not been successful, the posts indicate that either not all the steps were done; or the steps were done in multiple visits and in the wrong sequence.

Good luck... Check out the Issues and Noisy Startup threads for more information.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks tdog for the excellent summary. Good to hear there's been progress on this issue, but I'm disappointed that GM has yet to provide a definitive solution. When recall 11195 was announced I checked our VIN and it was outside the recall range. This supports your comment about the recall VIN range is too narrow.

·
Registered
368 Posts
DavidPJ, from what I recall you've observed the noise since about 11k miles and reported a link between the crankshaft position and occurrence of the noise. Can you provide any more details on that? Also, could you post or PM to me the build date? It's in month/year format on the top right corner of a silver sticker on the driver's door frame. Look down low, near the lower hinge for the rear door. Thanks.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tdog, I didn't make that report. Our Terrain's build date is 09/10. I listened again for the noise today and didn't hear it. My wife drives the Terrain so I'm going to have to start making a point of hearing her start it or frequently start it myself.

·
Registered
949 Posts
I would say that once could be a fluke (I mean, you never know, maybe you're getting the "misplaced oil" scenario). If you're due for an oil change, go for it, it can only help. Smell your oil first, as many have had problems with gasoline in their oil as well. My advice though, if you hear it one more time, take it to the dealer, tell them it's the same noise as indicated in the Recall notice, some have been able to convince the dealership to replace the solenoids, but that just depends on the dealer. In the very least, since yours is outside the recall range, you have bulletins PIP4716C and PI0562 to refer the dealer to. They both apply to your vehicle, regardless of build date.

Good luck!

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Sumr616. Last week my dealer changed the oil on our Terrain. I've been using Penzoil Platinum full synthetic. Before having it changed I checked the dipstick and it showed full and relatively clean. I change the oil at about 7500 - 8000 miles even though the DIC shows 25-30% life remaining. I smelled the oil and didn't notice a gasoline odor. Our Terrain gets about 28 mpg on the highway at 65 mph. Combined city/highway is about 23 mpg. Eco mode is always on.

Based on this I'm thinking it's not a problem yet, but maybe one that could be developing. I'll be listening for the noise as well as keeping on eye on the gas mileage.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
DavidPJ said:
I would recommend keeping an eye on the concern. If you feel that this is getting worse in any way, I would recommend contacting your dealer as soon as possible. Please keep me posted and feel free to contact me for more assistance. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts