GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if anyone has used the 60 Day Satisfaction Guarantee?

I bought a 2010 Terrain September 25, and I am considering returning it tomorrow.

Here is my issue......

I love the vehicle, it has been awesome.......

But.......

I am a pretty trustworthy person, even at a car dealership....

Anyway, my vehicle, with no options added, bought as is, is and SLE-1, MSRP on the website is $28,815 CDN.

On my invoice it says, $31,915 CDN. Would there be any reason for this that anyone can think of, besides I got hosed?

I called the dealer today, but got no return call, and my 60 days is up tomorrow.......

What should I do??

·
Registered
698 Posts
Was 'destination' included on the website price? It added $1,350 to my tab.

·
Registered
89 Posts
So you bought a brand new vehicle, but you don't have any paperwork showing what you paid? Trusting or not, would you not have been even a little curious?

You have to remember that there are taxes, destination, and options tacked onto the MSRP. Check out the thread under the buying and leasing section of the forum (Prices Paid for a Terrain) to see what I mean.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sometime they try and tack on an additional warranty also.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mobius said:
So you bought a brand new vehicle, but you don't have any paperwork showing what you paid? Trusting or not, would you not have been even a little curious?

You have to remember that there are taxes, destination, and options tacked onto the MSRP. Check out the thread under the buying and leasing section of the forum (Prices Paid for a Terrain) to see what I mean.
No, I was, but we were working towards a monthly payment that fit our budget, and it did. But now just looking over the invoice, I noticed this. I don't think that me wanting a monthly payment that fits my budget gives the sales rep the right to increase the price on me to way over MSRP. That is just wrong and very unethical.

Also, it says plus taxes, fees, etc.......so the MSRP should just be the vehicle plus the destinaton charge, correct?

I have called the sales manager at the dealership three times, and he will not return my call......[/color].

·
Registered
89 Posts
MSRP stands for Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price. Dealerships can charge above or below this, it is not 'set in stone'. It is not their responsibility to give you the very best price they can. It is on you to negotiate if you think they are being unfair.

Look at the Nissan GTR for example. MSRP was around $80,000.00. Local dealerships were charging upwards of $100,000 for one when they first came out. Why? Because they can, the demand was great enough that people would still buy them. Even at an inflated price.

I'm not saying that is what happened to you. I'm just saying it is not the dealer's fault that you didn't know how much you were paying.

Now to explain the price difference. Assuming here that the dealer is charging you exactly MSRP (which you would know if you have, or had asked for a price breakdown), destination is not the only thing that is tacked on to the price. As you said:
Also, it says plus taxes, fees, ect.....
. Unless something's changed, plus usually means in addition to, which means added to the original price.

Secondly, you have neglected to mention if the vehicle you purchased has any options. Options are not part of the MSRP. They are tacked on afterwards. Things like the roof rack, cargo storage box, ect are all options. This could have also increased the price. Again, this information would be in the vehicle price breakdown.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Dealers encourage buyers to focus on the payment, because it often results in them paying much more than they would if they focused on the purchase price.

So you might have gotten hosed. Or maybe not. We'd need the details of what was included in that number, and the breakdown.

There is not much margin in these vehicles, and demand is high, so some dealers will be tempted to add a "market adjustment."

You might or might not be eligible to return the vehicle. There is a mileage limit. In the U.S. nearly everyone gave up the right to return the car in exchange for an extra $500 rebate, but my understanding is that this was not an option in Canada.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just purchased a Terrain last week and asked about the $500. discount if I waved the 60 day guarantee. You are right. No such offer in Canada. The rules are you must have owned it for a min. of 30 days and max. 60 days. Can not have over 4,000 k.m. and have no more than $200. body, glass, or interior damage (inspected by dealer) and not have any aftermarket accessories installed other than G.M. qualified. Again these are the Canadian rules. So far my dealer has not had any returned, but he is a small town (8,000 pop.) dealer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Has anyone used the 60 day Guarantee yet?**Updated**

Well, the issue was resolved by the GMC Zone Manager.

I first called the Sales Manager, he told me that since the Terrain is a " Highly Sought After" vehicle and in short supply, similar to the Dodge Challenger, that there was a premium applied to the price, that was never explained to me.

So I contacted the Zone Manager, and all of a sudden the GM phoned me to notify me that a mistake was made, and that he could correct it for me today.

So, about 4 hours later, I had a courier at my door with a cheque for $3500.

Anyway, it got resolved, and they made me happy. A good job by the ZOne Manager and The GM.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Right on, it's good that you were able to get money back. By most accounts I would have thought they would just tell you where to go. Maybe the whole economy thing is actually turning the service industry around a bit.

Still, do you realize that you are still paying interest on that $3500.00, and that you will eventually pay that money back to them?

Edit: Just to explain:

They basically just gave you a loan for $3500.00. Since nothing on your payment contract has changed, the $3500.00 they gave you is still in the contract price. Which means, when your term ends, you will have payed that money back, plus you were paying interest on that money the whole term. It's no different than the 'cash back' scheme that a lot of dealerships offer.

The only way that $3500.00 is actually free and clear is if they let you apply it to the balance you owe.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, the cheque is actually made out to the bank, as well as myself, so it has to go towards the loan on the vehicle, plus I had no payments for 6 months, so no further interest is being paid.

Yeah, thankfully they fixed the issue, and basically admitted guaging me on the price, although was never said, the GM just said a mistake was made on my pricing........

Anyway, all is good and I love the Terrain......now I can put on the E & G Classics Grill I am getting.......

·
Registered
89 Posts
kevboy said:
Yeah, the cheque is actually made out to the bank, as well as myself, so it has to go towards the loan on the vehicle
That's pretty decent then, I guess my skepticism was unnecessary ;D

·
Registered
24 Posts
I hate when dealers "add" things without explaining or notifying the customer. The dealership where we've been buying from does this with "life & disability insurance" on their loan contracts. It's bad enough that they add tape pinstripes and VIN etching as soon as the vehicles come off the carrier (no lie!), they also add in this life & disability insurance to any and all loans they set-up. We were leasing before and didn't notice it with the lease payment (though I'm sure it was there), but my wife bought her last car rather than leased ('08 Pontiac G6) in June of 2008. This past June I received a postcard in the mail from the insurance company congratulating her on her first year of ownership and remindering her that they're there if she needs them. I pulled out the paperwork and sure enough, there it is on the contract. They never asked if we wanted it, they just tacked it on and neglected to say anything about it. And she just signed away ont he paperwork, never taking a moment or two to read it over and question things. So I learned my lesson - know what you're getting into before signing & driving away. Buyer Beware!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Any chance you would have gotten that $3,500 back if you weren't able to return the vehicle?

A lesson for everyone--don't just focus on the payment, and read the paperwork closely.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts