GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my first monthly report yesterday and it predicted that my first oil change would be around 15K :eek:. Has anyone been using this info for oil change intervals?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Uhh..no. :eek: I also don't go by the onboard computer in the DIC....I've chosen every 6k miles for my changes using Pennzoil Ultra synthetic. Theoretically you can go 15k using a good synthetic and changing out the filter @7k....but I'd rather not risk it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I did all my oil changes when the oil life monitor called for them on my 07 Canyon and have no plans to do any more then what the vehicle calls for in my Terrain. The report from On-Star is just relaying the information that the OLM calcualtes in a monthly e-mail.
We have another Canyon comming later this week(a 2010) & I'll follow the OLM on that one as well.

I won't keep any of these vehicle long enough or put enough miles on them to go past GM's 5 year 160,000Km powertrain warranty so if these infrequant oil changes are enought to maintain the warranty, they are good enough for me.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think thats the bottom line. I've used the oil life guage in my other car, and I plan to do the same here.

·
Registered
635 Posts
It's not a prediction, it's a measurement using data collected by the computer. The odometer works the same way. If you don't trust the oil life monitor you shouldn't trust the odometer.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Roesterman said:
It's not a prediction, it's a measurement using data collected by the computer. The odometer works the same way. If you don't trust the oil life monitor you shouldn't trust the odometer.
I have used the oil life monitor to predict the intervals in my last two cars, and i'm not about to stop now. I just wanted know if others were seeing the same.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yes, me too. Sorry if I sounded nasty. I always change oil before it gets to zero. I have used it on my last several vehicles dating back to the 90's with no problem.(4 Pontiac Montanas,1 Pontiac Solstice, 1 Saturn Vue and 1 Saturn LW300.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts