GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new 2012 1LT AWD Nox yesterday and I cannot drive it enough, it's quite the step up from my non-power 2001 Corolla, whew!

Anyway, I've ordered the footwell courtesy lights from GM already and plan to follow the guide to install them which looks rather easy. I've also been looking around the web for some DIY (blue) ambient footwell lighting for driving at night. I've found generic guides for just any kind of car. I see some people hook them up to their headlights, straight to the battery with a switch, etc.

Has anyone here done this kind of mod? Just using a few sandpaper-ed LEDs?

=====
should maybe be in the Interior and Electrical section..

·
Registered
112 Posts
Iliedead said:
Just got my new 2012 1LT AWD Nox yesterday and I cannot drive it enough, it's quite the step up from my non-power 2001 Corolla, whew!

Anyway, I've ordered the footwell courtesy lights from GM already and plan to follow the guide to install them which looks rather easy. I've also been looking around the web for some DIY (blue) ambient footwell lighting for driving at night. I've found generic guides for just any kind of car. I see some people hook them up to their headlights, straight to the battery with a switch, etc.

Has anyone here done this kind of mod? Just using a few sandpaper-ed LEDs?

=====
should maybe be in the Interior and Electrical section..
Wish someone would have an answer for this (the part about ambient lighting - not courtesy lighting) cuz I REALLY want the ambient lighting in the footwells!!! Anyone know? Anyone? Anyone?[/color]

·
Registered
673 Posts
in my previous car I tapped into the glove box light which was always on when the car was running.

For some reason ours do not :shrug:

I would just run a wire with a switch to the battery and turn it on or off when needed.

·
Registered
112 Posts
NODES said:
in my previous car I tapped into the glove box light which was always on when the car was running.

For some reason ours do not :shrug:

I would just run a wire with a switch to the battery and turn it on or off when needed.

OK, first, I need to confess that I am pretty ignorant when it comes to wiring for lighting in a car. I am certainly willing to learn cuz I am an avid DIYer on most things. Would doing what you said (run a wire with a switch to the battery) be hard for me to learn/do myself with no previous experience?[/color]

Also, I have asked this before, but no one seemed to really know the answer - would you happen to know what the two square holes are for that are beside the courtesy light in the footwells? Would they be for ambient LED lights? Not sure of their purpose. I think I took a picture and posted on this forum a while back. I can try to find it if it would help.

·
Registered
673 Posts
prissyrabbit said:
OK, first, I need to confess that I am pretty ignorant when it comes to wiring for lighting in a car. I am certainly willing to learn cuz I am an avid DIYer on most things. Would doing what you said (run a wire with a switch to the battery) be hard for me to learn/do myself with no previous experience?[/color]

Also, I have asked this before, but no one seemed to really know the answer - would you happen to know what the two square holes are for that are beside the courtesy light in the footwells? Would they be for ambient LED lights? Not sure of their purpose. I think I took a picture and posted on this forum a while back. I can try to find it if it would help.

they are for courtesy lighting.You could wire them up to be used as ambient lighting with a little more knowledge.

·
Registered
673 Posts
google how to install aux lighting with switch.

Should give you some diagrams on how to proceed, fairly simple once you do it once.

·
Registered
112 Posts
NODES said:
google how to install aux lighting with switch.

Should give you some diagrams on how to proceed, fairly simple once you do it once.

THNX! I will do that![/color]

·
Registered
112 Posts
Iliedead said:
Any progress prissyrabbit!? ;D
Hey, thanks for asking! This is still in the works for me. I have been trying to get to the dealership to see how much the LEDs will cost first. I want the footwell ambient lighting to match the blue color of the LEDs that are already in the nox. My job has been killing me the past several weeks and I have not been off when the dealership is open. (Or, if I have been, I am exhausted and don't feel like dealing with it.)

However, it is funny you posted cuz it is on my lis of things to do this weekend since I will have a 3 day weekend coming up. Can't wait to just be able to do things I want to do instead of dealing with work stuff!

I will keep you posted. And you can bet, if I can get it all to be how I want it, I will be bragging with pics and everything! I REALLY want the footwell ambient lights! Now you got me all excited about it again!

·
Registered
82 Posts
I bought 4 LED strip lights, and placed each one in the footwells, front and back, passenger/driver side. Ran each wire to the fuse panel on the passenger side footwell (on the bottom of the console). Tied them together and just tapped into a fuse with keyed power.

The LED's come on with the key, but you don't notice them being on during the day. Of course you do at night, and it looks really cool. If you like, I'll take some pics later to show you...

·
Registered
82 Posts
It looks much better than the pictures would lead you to believe...

·
Registered
112 Posts
raggdoll said:
It looks much better than the pictures would lead you to believe...

I want some. I want some!! I gotta go find out how much the less are. Since my nox has that weird kinda aqua blue color goin' on, I really need the ones I install to match cuz that's just how I am.

It is hard to take pics of lighting. So I am sure your footwells look awesome cuz the pics don't look bad at all!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice, real cool rag. I'm glad to see this working somewhat. That is an option, there isn't too much draw with it on all the time that it'll affec anything right? I know LEDs are low power an all but have to ask.

Wrong topic nodes =p but that gps one did look cool hah

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've also done something similar in my Nox. I've used blue LEDs and I placed them under the seats only. I find it too distracting in the footwell area, as I just want it some ambient light, especially for the rear of the vehicle. I used the rear cigarette lighter to connect them, this waythey go on/off with the ignition

·
Registered
118 Posts
Re: Re: Has anyone tried DIY ambient footwell lighting?

For the Equinox, it would be really awesome to get the same LED that is used for the overhead illumination since it is not a standard blue, the color match would be sweet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I just purchased
http://www.automotivelightstore.com/oracleccflambientlightingpair-1-1.aspx
Type: SMD
Color Options: ABL (Aqua)

it was recommended to me by a friend who said they look sweet in his camaro, he was saying it has the same blue as the equinox interior. I'll see how it goes when it gets here next week. Comes with a switch and all, prob wire it up to the cig lighter.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Iliedead said:
Well, I just purchased
http://www.automotivelightstore.com/oracleccflambientlightingpair-1-1.aspx
Type: SMD
Color Options: ABL (Aqua)

it was recommended to me by a friend who said they look sweet in his camaro, he was saying it has the same blue as the equinox interior. I'll see how it goes when it gets here next week. Comes with a switch and all, prob wire it up to the cig lighter.

Can you please post pics and maybe a tutorial of how you install? I hope they match. I am so excited!!![/color] :happy:

·
Registered
99 Posts
the Halo's on that site look really really good, but they have nothing specific for the NOX

1 - 20 of 64 Posts