GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I don't know much about car electronics, but this seems like a simple project.

I bought a 9500ix, and I am trying to hardwire it with a 3M "wire-tap" a little blue thing that clamps around the wire.
I'm trying to find a 12V wire that is 14-18 Gauge to tap from, that is off when the car is off and on when the car is on.

I'm thinking that the maplights, power lift-gate button, or any other source up there would work, but I have no clue to to get to it, or what wire to use.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
jamesvl said:
First off, I don't know much about car electronics, but this seems like a simple project.

I bought a 9500ix, and I am trying to hardwire it with a 3M "wire-tap" a little blue thing that clamps around the wire.
I'm trying to find a 12V wire that is 14-18 Gauge to tap from, that is off when the car is off and on when the car is on.

I'm thinking that the maplights, power lift-gate button, or any other source up there would work, but I have no clue to to get to it, or what wire to use.

Thanks in advance.
Pretty sure that map and power lift-gate are hot all of the time. How about the power wire for the Infotainment System. You may want to call in a professional if you have any questions about the wiring. The wiring systems in today's cars are very sensitive to changes. Another source that may be easier is the 12v supply in the console or below the radio. You should be able to do less damage there, than the stereo !

·
Registered
116 Posts
I read on this forum some time ago about a kit that lets you plug in behind the rear view mirror. I believe this power source is hot any time the ignation is on.Maybe on the website that makes the mirror mounts for radar detectors.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anybody know of a good fuse to use for a hardwire? I tried looking at the manual and the fuse box, but I don't know what would be a good fuse to use.

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
jamesvl said:
Does anybody know of a good fuse to use for a hardwire? I tried looking at the manual and the fuse box, but I don't know what would be a good fuse to use.
The fuse for either of the 12v "cigarette lighter" outlets in the front are only "hot" when the car is on. The rear 12v outlet is always hot.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would that be the "Auxiliary Power Front"?

·
Registered
483 Posts
jamesvl said:

Thanks in advance.

Check here. http://www.invisicord.com/

·
Registered
144 Posts
Fuse #13 in the passenger side fuse box works perfectly. Get one of those power taps that have a fuse built in sized for the mini fuse.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts