Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Polyurethane film one time

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I want to try to polish my car by myself. I need an advice, what is better - apply hard wax every month or use ceramic coat once a year? What is your suggestions?

·
Registered
10,644 Posts
I find applying hard wax to be very soothing, wax on, wax off, but the ceramic wax seems to do a better job. Guess it depends on how much time you have.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I find applying hard wax to be very soothing, wax on, wax off, but the ceramic wax seems to do a better job. Guess it depends on how much time you have.
I like to wash myself car. It something like a hobby to feel like "detail studio" employee. Hate when car wash workers scratch paint with sand because of wrong wash subsequence. But I don't ready to pay for detail wash every time 😁

·
Super Moderator
'16 Equinox LTZ AWD 3.6
1,731 Posts
I'm a big fan of Turtle Wax spray on ceramic. Two applications a day apart in the fall will last me all winter with salt/snow exposure on my parked outside vehicles.

·
Super Moderator
'16 Equinox LTZ AWD 3.6
1,731 Posts
You mean Turtle Wax 53409 Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray Coating?
Yes, I use it on paint and black plastics on my fleet listed in my signature line. Lasts, beads like crazy and not too expensive.

·
Registered
08 LS AWD Summit white(SOLD), 07 Torrent FWD Black, 05 Pursuit Sedan, '16 F150 XLT Sport Blue Flame
67 Posts
Ive had really good luck with this regimen and keeping up with it, though maybe a tad excessive to some, but seems to work for me. I want to preface this by saying i am in the rust belt and DESPISE the salt.

Once a week or two, depending on how dirty my cars are, I'll spray down my car with a foam cannon and power washer, contact wash, rinse, towel dry, wheel clean + tire shine. If it's really bad, I'll throw in a quick iron decon spray in after washing it and spray it again.

In the spring and fall, I perform clay bar and/or paint correction IF necessary, and liquid wax (Chemical Guys butter wet wax, I know there's probably better out there, but I've had really good results with it). Once in a while, I'll throw in Mothers CMX coating as a quick "top-off" to the wax.

It's not so much about brand as it is actually doing it. People can debate brands all day, it comes down to whats affordable and accessible for you. Spray on ceramic infused products are great for those who live in non-winter areas, where you can hand was your car regularly and its not really cold. If you live in the rust belt, I personally do not like spray on waxes because they don't last super long, and I don't like freezing my hands off. I install insulation for a living so sparing my hands is key. Do note though that spray on ceramic products are not true ceramic coatings, there infused with it to give you the ceramic coating like qualities, but need to be shipped and more cost effective.

Now, ceramic COATINGS- they're the real deal. I knew they were good, but once I saw my bosses freshly coated 2019 F-150- holy! The thing looked better then new! Only caveat is that they're expensive to both purchase and pay someone to install and is a wee bit more involved, but the results speak for themselves. I was quoted between 1000-3000 to coat my truck, depending on how in depth I wanted them to go with paint correction and how many coats and where they apply it. Personally, I dont have that kind of time to do it myself nor money to fork out for a cosmetic treatment. To each their own, hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts