GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2010 terran 4cyl fwd with 8000 miles

i have noticed a hand full of times when i accelerate at a regular speed, the 2-3 shift sometimes hits hard....almost like a neutral drop (minus the reving)

i will make an apt with the dealer, but has anyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
It appears that you are already planning to visit your dealership. They should be able to assist you further. I would greatly appreciate it if you could keep me up to date with your progress. If you have further questions, please feel free to contact me directly. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
163 Posts
snarkee said:
i have a 2010 terran 4cyl fwd with 8000 miles

i have noticed a hand full of times when i accelerate at a regular speed, the 2-3 shift sometimes hits hard....almost like a neutral drop (minus the reving)

i will make an apt with the dealer, but has anyone else had this issue?
Glad to know Im not the only one with the same issue. Thanks for posting it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have experienced this as well. It will really give quite a jolt sometimes. My dealer gave me the "unable to reproduce the problem" response, and I can't make it do it on command.

Please do report back with your dealer's reaction.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am going to book an appointment soon
i find this "jolt" to be rathar harsh....its more like a double jolt and there is no way I will be reproduce it unless the tech drives it for a week or 2.....its only happened 5 times in 3 months

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
My wife said it has happened once with her driving and its happened to me once as well. Havent had it happen since it crossed 5k miles.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Good Day Everyone,

I also have the same issue on my 2011 Terrain. I have noticed this hard shift from 2nd to 3rd almost daily. It occurs when accelerating and then slightly removing your foot off the gas pedal as for many examples in stop and go traffic. I thought I read about this in another thread but in any event I believe the GM response will be a "Normal Operating Concern".

·
Registered
7 Posts
my 2010 nox has done the same thing. Probably 6 or 7 times in 2400 miles. I did take it in, they flashed the transmission, and so far so good. But only time will tell, as it dont happen very often.........

·
Registered
57 Posts
mdh4psu said:
Good Day Everyone,

I also have the same issue on my 2011 Terrain. I have noticed this hard shift from 2nd to 3rd almost daily. It occurs when accelerating and then slightly removing your foot off the gas pedal as for many examples in stop and go traffic. I thought I read about this in another thread but in any event I believe the GM response will be a "Normal Operating Concern".
Bingo, I've had this happen once in my wife's 'Nox. It happened while trying to merge on a busy freeway. It seemed like the TCM got confused with the throttle inputs I was giving. I chalked it up to a software algorithm that was trying to upshift to get max fuel economy while I was telling it I wanted max. RPMs.

I had a harsh shift show up in my wife's old 2000 Saturn wagon and when it happened it threw a trouble code and check engine light. Turns out it was a bad transmission pressure control solenoid, a common issue with the 4 speed automatics in those cars (and several other GM vehicles). When that solenoid goes you'll know it and it's not an occasional thing; the CEC light comes on and stays on. That didn't happen with the 'Nox so I attributed it to a software issue.

I had the TCM reprogrammed back in January 2010 and that improved shift quality dramatically. Has there been a flash update since then?

·
Registered
626 Posts
tnmats said:
I chalked it up to a software algorithm that was trying to upshift to get max fuel economy while I was telling it I wanted max. RPMs.
That sounds like an excellent description of the problem. I had a hard downshift while coasting up a slight incline to a stop sign, then hit the gas to go just before stopping. There was a delay of a second or so while the transmission figured out what to do, then it finally downshifted.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Oh no, please don't tell me the Terrain/Equinoxes are beginning to have hard shift problems as the miles accumulate. My 6-speed '09 Escape has had 3 transmission flash updates and it still isn't right with hard or unusual shifts. I'm just wondering if these new electronically controlled transmissions are generally prone to unusual or unpredicatable shifting on occassions.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I don't think it's mileage related. I've had a couple hard shifts with less than 2,000 miles on the clock. It's probably that they're spending so much time optimizing these 5, 6, and 7 speed transmissions for better gas mileage that sometimes driveability suffers. The problem in another thread on rear defrosters not working in extreme conditions is most likely a fuel economy issue...to eke out another 0.2 mpg they adjust idle speed, alternator output, ignition timing, etc etc etc.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm having the same problem along with a second or so lag from a stop to get moving after pressing the pedal.
The lag can be very dangerous when pulling into traffic.
Dealer can't get it to do it for them, or at least that's what they claim.
Dealer says they are waiting for a corporate fix.
Time to start a case with GM customer service I guess.
Ted
2011 Equinox LTZ 4 cylinder AWD

·
Registered
51 Posts
Ours does that too.Lags between 2nd and third and the other day seemed like it did not want to shift into sixth until you let off the throttle.It was -17C out.Once it warmed up it seemed okay.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I had the same issue occasionally and was pretty easy to reproduce. A Short drive with abuota 2-5 minute off time (enough time to run in and grab a pizza or carry out food) and with temps above 50 degrees or so the 2-3 shift would feel like it was applying full line pressure. Since I updated to the latest engine and transmission calibration I no longer get that shift but I didnt get a lot of time above 50 degrees either.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
nomad06 said:
Ours does that too.Lags between 2nd and third and the other day seemed like it did not want to shift into sixth until you let off the throttle.It was -17C out.Once it warmed up it seemed okay.
It does that to save MPG and the transmission. If the fluid is too cold, it takes a lot of effort to move it around. Pretty much all cars with a 6 speed transmission will not shift into 6th until they are warmed up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well I don't have good news for all of you. I purchased a 2011 GMC Terrrain about 30 days ago, and 2000 miles later I had the hard shift problem start happening. I being a mechanic for many years previously knew this was not the norm to just start happening. The dealer has had my car for almost 2 weeks and after a minor overhaul per GM Technical Service, its still not fixed. Not a happy camper here.

·
Registered
365 Posts
RICKYB said:
Well I don't have good news for all of you. I purchased a 2011 GMC Terrrain about 30 days ago, and 2000 miles later I had the hard shift problem start happening. I being a mechanic for many years previously knew this was not the norm to just start happening. The dealer has had my car for almost 2 weeks and after a minor overhaul per GM Technical Service, its still not fixed. Not a happy camper here.
That sucks!!! Sorry to hear about your transmission issues. Post up and let us know what they did to fix it.

·
Registered
978 Posts
tag

·
Registered
2 Posts
crap. mine now too.
Love everything else about the car. Mine's a 2010 nox LT.
Have had a couple of shifts that would make you think the tranny was left behind on the road. Dealer says they don't know anything about it. Now, it's also whining loudly intermitently at highway speeds from the drivetrain.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts