GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading in tirerack about the hankook tires that happen to be OEM for the Terrain.
Basically the review was really-really poor...
Does anyone have any experience during the last winter (snow/ice) with a Terrain/Equinox with OEM tires?

(I understand that winter tires are unbeatable during winter conditions so no point in arguing that)


Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
all oem tires are junk, with few exceptions....they are cheaply made, not readily available, not to mention OVERPRICED!

mazda3s, and speed3's had some of THE worst oem tires......potenza re05 and some cheap proxes...most owners had them toasted after 10-20k....

from what ive read on the hankook's, they arent much different....i would avoid any snow with them....if you have the funds...get a set of winter tires...and come sprigtime, buy a set of GOOD tires.....the stocks wont last more then 2-3 years....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
They are very slippery with a small rain... doenst want to know what they do with snow....

Change them asap !
 
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
gar187er said:
all oem tires are junk, with few exceptions....they are cheaply made, not readily available, not to mention OVERPRICED!
The Michelin Latitude Tour that come standard on the Equinox 17" wheels are actually top notch. I wish the 19" wheel upgrade I got didn' have those Hankook. For $900 $CDN more you think they would have given some good tires.
I've got a dedicated set of snows but can't wait for these Hankook summers to wear out so I can get something good.

Does anybody know what comes on the 18" chrome wheel upgrade?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
There is no 18" Chrome wheels as far as i know...


mmarges said:
The Michelin Latitude Tour that come standard on the Equinox 17" wheels are actually top notch. I wish the 19" wheel upgrade I got didn' have those Hankook. For $900 $CDN more you think they would have given some good tires.
I've got a dedicated set of snows but can't wait for these Hankook summers to wear out so I can get something good.

Does anybody know what comes on the 18" chrome wheel upgrade?
 
M

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
In Canada there are the 17" standard.
18" Chrome - Upgrade $300
19" Chrome Clad - Upgrade $800 used to be $900 on the 2010
I assume the US has the same options and not sure what you have available on the Terrain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
The 18" are machined aluminum, not chromed.

I know that because i purchased them for my winter wheels.

I also checked on the website, and they tell the same thing.

mmarges said:
In Canada there are the 17" standard.
18" Chrome - Upgrade $300
19" Chrome Clad - Upgrade $800 used to be $900 on the 2010
I assume the US has the same options and not sure what you have available on the Terrain.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
Same for the Equinox...
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
Whatever the "rating" on the OEM's by websites and critics, we're running our Hankooks to the ground.
Why waste money if they are still in good condition, relatively speaking? (I can think of better things to spend the cash on, like some new woods for my golf bag, LOL).
Been through one autumn, winter, spring and now another autumn with no issues, knock on wood.
Rain, sleet, snow, freezing rain, etc., we felt comfortable with the Hankooks.
JMO, if it ain't broke, don't fix it...
;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
"if it ain't broke, don't fix it..."


When you wait until it break, it will cost you more money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,085 Posts
SuperMat64 said:
"if it ain't broke, don't fix it..."


When you wait until it break, it will cost you more money.
What I mean is "when the tires are no longer safe, we will replace them with whatever is the best price/performance model" at that time.
We're not going to throw out road-worthy (IMO, of course) tires just because "tirerating.com (just a made up name LOL)" says they're no good.
Thanks for considering our opinion, SuperMat64.
8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
I sold the Hankook as soon as i got the Terrain out of the dealer.

So putting my Toyo Versado CUV had cost me around 250$... not enough to make me risk my life with the Hankook H725 tires :p

By the Way, the Toyo Versado CUV Tires are the best tires i've ever had... Silent... Superb cornering... Super wet AND dry traction...

I can't wait to try my Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 this winter :)




gearhead said:
What I mean is "when the tires are no longer safe, we will replace them with whatever is the best price/performance model" at that time.
We're not going to throw out road-worthy (IMO, of course) tires just because "tirerating.com (just a made up name LOL)" says they're no good.
Thanks for considering our opinion, SuperMat64.
8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
I bought new Blizzak DM-V1 for my Pontiac Montana last January (2010). Excellent tires especially for driving up here in Northern Ontario. Got my Terrain in August...and the Blizzaks will fit the Terrain. Now have them mounted on Black steel rims and are installed on the Terrain. First thing I noticed was an immediate drop in gas mileage..very noticeable. Obviously the "stickyness" of the tires result in more drag than the Michelin Latitude Touring tires the Terrain came with on 17 inch rims .

The Michelins are superb btw, and I will have no hesitation in buying them again if and when they wear out.

Anyway, back to the Blizzaks DM-V1...as I said, they are excellent tires, grip "like glue" on icy roads and are very good in snowy conditions. The ride is a bit "squishy" in above freezing temperatures but quickly firms up as the temperatures drop way down...they worked fine last winter in minus 30c and below....but like I said, you will find your gas mileage will suffer......the price we pay for safety in winter driving I guess!!!

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
Are you sure that your drop in gas mileage is not due to a size difference in the tires ???

What size are your Blizzak ?


Mrmidnite2 said:
I bought new Blizzak DM-V1 for my Pontiac Montana last January (2010). Excellent tires especially for driving up here in Northern Ontario. Got my Terrain in August...and the Blizzaks will fit the Terrain. Now have them mounted on Black steel rims and are installed on the Terrain. First thing I noticed was an immediate drop in gas mileage..very noticeable. Obviously the "stickyness" of the tires result in more drag than the Michelin Latitude Touring tires the Terrain came with on 17 inch rims .

The Michelins are superb btw, and I will have no hesitation in buying them again if and when they wear out.

Anyway, back to the Blizzaks DM-V1...as I said, they are excellent tires, grip "like glue" on icy roads and are very good in snowy conditions. The ride is a bit "squishy" in above freezing temperatures but quickly firms up as the temperatures drop way down...they worked fine last winter in minus 30c and below....but like I said, you will find your gas mileage will suffer......the price we pay for safety in winter driving I guess!!!

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
I made the calculation and your mileage drop is due to smaller tire size...

The Montana was using 225/60/R17 that are 5.3% smaller... so you need to drive faster to achieve same speed as usual with 19"...
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
Roesterman said:
If you change out the low rolling resistance tires you will lose some gas mileage

Quote from: Consumer Guide http://consumerguideauto.howstuffworks.com/2010-chevrolet-equinox-1.htm
All Equinox models have low-rolling-resistance tires designed to increase fuel economy, but they contribute to audible thrum on coarse surfaces. [/color]
oh no your gonna lose .5mpg......that extra 5 miles on a tank of gas is a real life saver!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
LOL .5mpg you are generous... more like .20MPG lol

A 10 or 20 percent difference in rolling resistance between two tires might just mean only a one or two percent improvement in fuel economy.

Proper tire inflation also plays a large role in keeping vehicles fuel efficient. For example, a vehicle with a recommended pressure of 35 psi whose tires are at 28 psi will have increased its rolling resistance by 12.5%.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
MY Terrain has 17 inch rims....exactly the same size as the 2009 Montana.....

I had purchased the 225 65 17 for the Montana as my dealer did not have the 225-60-17 in Blizzaks DM-V1.....besides the 65 series is a tad narrower than the Montana original 60 series..which is good for winter traction of course...

The Terrain standard size for the 17 inch rims IS 225-65-17...so I lucked in when I kept the Blizzaks that I had on the Montana (and they only have about 1500 kms on them).

However, anyone who installs Blizzaks (or any other of the sticky winter tires,) will report a drop in gas mileage as some have rightfully pointed out..the rolling resistance is greater due to the stickiness. The Terrain just does not feel as "peppy" with the Blizzaks on...but I'm quite prepared to live with that for the safety of driving on winter tires in our kind of frigid weather we will have for the next 4 or 5 months "up here" in N. Ontario....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
830 Posts
Sorry about that, i was thinking that you were having the 19" wheels...

Don't know about the gas mileage... i will check that when i'll put them next week.

Maybe your tire pressure ?


Mrmidnite2 said:
MY Terrain has 17 inch rims....exactly the same size as the 2009 Montana.....

I had purchased the 225 65 17 for the Montana as my dealer did not have the 225-60-17 in Blizzaks DM-V1.....besides the 65 series is a tad narrower than the Montana original 60 series..which is good for winter traction of course...

The Terrain standard size for the 17 inch rims IS 225-65-17...so I lucked in when I kept the Blizzaks that I had on the Montana (and they only have about 1500 kms on them).

However, anyone who installs Blizzaks (or any other of the sticky winter tires,) will report a drop in gas mileage as some have rightfully pointed out..the rolling resistance is greater due to the stickiness. The Terrain just does not feel as "peppy" with the Blizzaks on...but I'm quite prepared to live with that for the safety of driving on winter tires in our kind of frigid weather we will have for the next 4 or 5 months "up here" in N. Ontario....
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top