GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I roll in the wheelchair and was born disabled, I wanted to share my hand control installed on my Nox! I drive with my hands not my feet lol.
These suckers are expensive, and marked up way to much... over $750 for the parts alone not including labor. Which considering what they actaully are (two bars with joints haha) marked up a little to much, which all handicap and medical crap is! But can't complain because
GM mobility program gives you a reimbursement up to $1,000 so that's good considering it cost me $1,300 total. I am grateful to Gm for that, Toyota nor Honda offer it.
Only thing you have to cough up the money first then wait a few months for the reimbursement.
My last trucks I had installed them myself, no fun to do, but with a new vehicle, you cannot even buy the parts anymore yourself, only a authorize reseller and installer can get em.
Overall install was pretty clean looks somewhat factory, i let this same place put em on my wife's Malibu. Only complaint is that they just cant make it a straight $1,000 out the door. I might start my own business installing these since i know they making a killing lol

So they work as down for Gas & forward for Brake.
An able body can drive this no prob, the gas pedal moves freely and does not move the handcontrols , when you hit the brake it just pulls the bar forward. My wife is tries to drive it sometimes with the hand controls, haha a little tricky if your not used to it.

Here is a youtube link i made for a demo since a few other wheelchair people were asking how they worked.

Kick your feet out the window and enjoy the drive and wired looks lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JjG0DSs3Fc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is a few standard pics in case the video does not work.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They had to cut the dash for a few openings. I did not realize they took the entire bottom dash panel off until I was looking for the wire harness for the courtesy footwell light hookup. So I got to figure out a way to mount the light since i don't have that little dome to place it in. I asked them for the panel and they said they couldn't find it and wouldn't let me look in there shop for liability purposes lol oh well.

Maybe some of you can kick me some ideas for a mount, been looking at junkyards but no result and i don't want to pay alot of $ for a new gm part since i would have to pretty much cut it up to make room for the hand controls.

One pic if me holding the harness plug.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Hey, that looks great!

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is another pic how they look not installed, had this set on my S-10. The Equinox has to have a different brake bracket.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
"can't find the panel" they removed? That's just another way of saying "It was wrecked while trying to remove it so we threw it in the dumpster". I would make them either "find" it or pay for a new one..

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NoobNox said:
"can't find the panel" they removed? That's just another way of saying "It was wrecked while trying to remove it so we threw it in the dumpster". I would make them either "find" it or pay for a new one..
My guess as well lol. Sucks i had to sign a contract with them that stated they can do any modifactions needed for anything that interferes with equipment and prevents it from functioning. So say i already had the light installed, they would just disconnect it and tie it out of the way. I understand if they coundnt use it or if they tried and was only 2% of the panel left lol. I just wanted the little dome since it sits under the vrake peddel anyway , it would of had if been relocated lol. I will just have to find anotherway to mount it.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
That's so neat! Always wondered how the mechanical connections were configured :thumb:

Happy Motoring!! [/color]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts