GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have all read the threads about the 2011 DI 2.4 engine. While at the dealer today I had some convesation with the service manager and this is what I got.

1. Yes there was an issue with the actuators/solenoids that caused the recall.

2. People that had the issue got really bad MPGs and awful noises (he heard them himself)

3. After repairs were done reports of improved MPGs have been recieved.

I also did some research on DI engines and found that some other compaines are having issues too

http://www.autoobserver.com/2011/06/direct-injection-fouls-some-early-adopters.html

Notice the article says GM& Ford have it much more in hand than VW, Audi and Lexus. For real people every car company has issues with their cars from time to time or you would never know what a recall is. Sometimes the issues are not easily diagnosed or fixed ( or even acknowledged see article). I see the same people here bashing GM over and over about the 2011 issue it took some time but it seems like the issues have been found and proper repairs are available now. I have yet to see any car company bring a new platform to market that does not have some bugs and sometimes it takes years to get them out and this is not just GM it is ALL companies none of them are perfect. People like SUMR who have been part of the fix are to be admired for their tenacity and have my gratitude because it makes all of our cars better. The bashers who act like it is some kind of personal vendetta that GM has against them not so much. If the Nox/Terrain ends up not being your cup-o-tea fine sell it and buy what ever you like. If it doesn't get 32mpg while you are driving in bumper to bumper traffic pounding the throttle to be first to the next stop light get real. That will only happen on the highway between 55-65 mph with cruise on. Most normal driving will result ~25mpg if you take it easy. If you are in a hurry it will be closer to 20mpg just fact. Personally I can live with 25mpg average mixed and 30+ on the highway and really like my Terrain so far.

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...... :thumb:

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Mochaman said:
We have all read tyhe threads about the 2011 DI 2.4 engine. While at the dealer today I had some convesation with the service manager and this is what I got.

2. People that had the issue got really bad MPGs and awful noises (he heard them himself)

I also did some research on DI engines and found that some other compaines are having issues too

http://www.autoobserver.com/2011/06/direct-injection-fouls-some-early-adopters.html

Notice the article says GM& Ford have it much more in hand than VW, Audi and Lexus. For real people every car company has issues with their cars from time to time or you would never know what a recall is. Sometimes the issues are not easily diagnosed or fixed ( or even acknowledged see article). I see the same people here bashing GM over and over about the 2011 issue it took some time but it seems like the issues have been found and proper repairs are available now. I have yet to see any car company bring a new platform to market that does not have some bugs and sometimes it takes years to get them out and this is not just GM it is ALL companies none of them are perfect. People like SUMR who have been part of the fix are to be admired for theit tenacity and have my gratitude because it makes all of our cars better. The bashers who act like it is some kind of personal vendetta that GM has against them not so much. If the Nox/Terrain ends up not being your cup-o-tea fine sell it and buy what ever you like. If it doesn't get 32mpg while you are driving in bumper to bumper traffic pounding the throttle to be first to the next stop light get real. That will only happen on the highway between 55-65 mph with cruise on. Most normal driving will result ~25mpg if you take it easy. If you are in a hurry it will be closer to 20mpg just fact. Personally I can live with 25mpg average mixed and 30+ on the highway and really like my Terrain so far.

+1

·
Registered
368 Posts
Mochaman said:
We have all read the threads about the 2011 DI 2.4 engine. While at the dealer today I had some convesation with the service manager and this is what I got.

Notice the article says GM& Ford have it much more in hand than VW, Audi and Lexus. For real people every car company has issues with their cars from time to time or you would never know what a recall is. Sometimes the issues are not easily diagnosed or fixed ( or even acknowledged see article). I see the same people here bashing GM over and over about the 2011 issue it took some time but it seems like the issues have been found and proper repairs are available now. I have yet to see any car company bring a new platform to market that does not have some bugs and sometimes it takes years to get them out and this is not just GM it is ALL companies none of them are perfect. People like SUMR who have been part of the fix are to be admired for theit tenacity and have my gratitude because it makes all of our cars better. The bashers who act like it is some kind of personal vendetta that GM has against them not so much. If the Nox/Terrain ends up not being your cup-o-tea fine sell it and buy what ever you like. If it doesn't get 32mpg while you are driving in bumper to bumper traffic pounding the throttle to be first to the next stop light get real. That will only happen on the highway between 55-65 mph with cruise on. Most normal driving will result ~25mpg if you take it easy. If you are in a hurry it will be closer to 20mpg just fact. Personally I can live with 25mpg average mixed and 30+ on the highway and really like my Terrain so far.

+1

·
Registered
977 Posts
Just be nice on this forum if their was 1 thread regarding the Noise problem. Seems like 3 or so are going on with basically the same information. I had a Saturn VUE with CVT transmission that GM knew was bad, made 2 seperate programs to repair the tranny or money towards a GM vehilce. They even lost a Class action with a longer warranty that was nullified by the bankruptcy. I had a tranny fail at 77,000 miles on a 7 year old vehicle. They gave me $5000 towards my Nox. I was planning on a Sorrento. Hope GM gets a stable fix for these problems.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RNOX said:
Just be nice on this forum if their was 1 thread regarding the Noise problem. Seems like 3 or so are going on with basically the same information. I had a Saturn VUE with CVT transmission that GM knew was bad, made 2 seperate programs to repair the tranny or money towards a GM vehilce. They even lost a Class action with a longer warranty that was nullified by the bankruptcy. I had a tranny fail at 77,000 miles on a 7 year old vehicle. They gave me $5000 towards my Nox. I was planning on a Sorrento. Hope GM gets a stable fix for these problems.
My father inlaw has a Sorrento 1 recall so far and now he has a leaking coolant issue that they can't get the part for so it sits in his garage. It is less than a year old. Good luck same ole same ole with all cars.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Mochaman said:
My father inlaw has a Sorrento 1 recall so far and now he has a leaking coolant issue that they can't get the part for so it sits in his garage. It is less than a year old. Good luck same ole same ole with all cars.
Any new car can have issues. The issue here is GM is not fixing issues (ex. Noise on start up) . If you had the same problem as some people here and were treated poorly by GM you wouldn't be a happy camper either. Your father in law has a recall and hopefully is fixed properly. I hope they are giving your father in law a loaner. My Saturn 2000 Saturn LS1 had 3 recalls and 17 visits to the dealer for problems. . Other issues out of warranty. My 2003 made 10 visits for dealer issues 1 recall and then the tranny went and they gave me a $5000 credit towards a new GM vehicle.. 1 recall was done impoperly and almost caused an accident. So I've had my fill of GM. Hopefully my Nox will last and I don't have to take a program to replace this vehilce. My Nox has had only 2 warranty repairs. The paint was rubbed off on the spolier (I believe the dealer did this) and a nosie that the dealer did not fix but I was able to.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I hear what you’re saying Mochaman, I think everyone has had a different experience with the issues concerning their vehicle. I brought my vehicle in three different times with my car being gone for roughly two weeks before it was fixed. I was not a happy camper during the process and used the internet to vent and express my concerns. I don’t blame anyone for being upset and disappointed about these recalls, I know I was. A recall concerning an engine malfunction is a lot harder to stomach than let’s say an electric window motor. I’ve purchased many new cars (over 25) and I haven’t encountered a problem that has been as severe as the one I’ve had with my equinox. That being said, my NOX has been fixed and I’m putting what happened in the past so I can enjoy the car and that seems to be working out for me. My wife and I are happy we purchased the NOX and are looking forward to driving it for many more years. For the people who are still having issues, hopefully you’ll go to the right dealer who can fix your car the first or second time without too much headache. Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I have had the startup noise, since Feb.2011..also had the stalling and engine code once..been to the shop about 6 times..I was not part of the recall, so I never heard from GM or my Dealer regarding the recall or a fix for the startup noise..went through the Lemon law process, couldnt get a replacement from GM, since they didnt hear the noise on the final repair attempt, and it is driveable..so far...I had the engine light come on the other day, still have poor MPG and rattling startup noise...I got the car in Nov. 2010 and I have 28k on it...

My issue is Im still driving a car with issues, that GM is not helping me with..Fine, Recall, good...just put out the proper recall, covering all the cars that need it..Fix my frickin' car!

thats all I have asked for since april!

also, unfortunately..sumr..is NOT part of the fix...her issues have come back, and she is finally getting a new vehicle..

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I understand the frustrations believe me DI engines are a new thing for many companies and as mentioned some dealers have been less than helpful. No it should not require as much effort as it has to get your cars fixed but the bad parts in the supply chain caused un needed delays. Who knows what related damage may have been done so I am sure some engines may need more work. The point is we know what the problem is and so does GM and it is possible to fix. For those who have had the recall done properly and still have issues I suggest moving up the chain and asking for a new engine if not car to replace the shoddy treatment you have recieved. Should you have to do it probably not but since it is a known problem now the truth is out there. Good luck to those who still have issues :cheers:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Im not convinced they have a handle on this yet. IF GM does, they need to come out with a Recall or TB stating the directions and that the dealers need to follow them correctly..

Im also thinking that there is confusion between GM and the dealers with this issue...

I Tried for a new engine, for replacement vehicle..didnt happen..GM acted like I was making up the issue I had..acted like they never heard of this problem.They couldnt duplicate it, SO dont believe me... Now this is GM Im talking about, not a dealer...though they were clueless too..

I love this vehicle (Terrain), Great ride, and comfort and Love the look..I just want it to run like a new car, and not cringe everytime I start it..oh, and got another check engine light again today...Im waiting for the stalling to start again...

·
Registered
949 Posts
Thank you for the shout-out mochaman. I think I have always been fueled by the fact that the dealer I had been going to over the summer was pretty sh*tty. They knew nothing and didn't care. I didn't want anyone else to go through that. And at the time, when we started these threads here, there wasn't information anywhere else on the internet about these issues. Once we put it out there though, people really started to find us and report their similar problems. And I know there must be many people that read these threads, but don't post - people seem to be joining and posting now, stating that they've been reading here for a while but haven't posted yet.

I, unfortunately, have lost my optimism for this issue in the 2011's. The problem, for me, seemed to progress in the following order: start-up noise, significant drop in mpg, check engine lights, stalling. Some repairs even seemed to correct the problem...until it came back.

GM is replacing my car now. They officially agreed to do so yesterday. Don't have the final details in writing yet, waiting for the dealer to get the info from GM.

In my opinion, if you experience stalling at all, immediately take it in, do what you can to get out of the vehicle. Even if you just have to bide your time until you are qualified for the lemon law, you can then try working with GM to get a replacement.

Some forum members seem to see the problems disappear completely after the repairs. I feel like those people that experience engine stalling in any form/frequency, seem to have the problem come back after repairs. Hoping the best for everyone.

It's a great car, love the car itself, just hate the engine I was dealt.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sumr616 said:
Thank you for the shout-out mochaman. I think I have always been fueled by the fact that the dealer I had been going to over the summer was pretty sh*tty. They knew nothing and didn't care. I didn't want anyone else to go through that. And at the time, when we started these threads here, there wasn't information anywhere else on the internet about these issues. Once we put it out there though, people really started to find us and report their similar problems. And I know there must be many people that read these threads, but don't post - people seem to be joining and posting now, stating that they've been reading here for a while but haven't posted yet.

I, unfortunately, have lost my optimism for this issue in the 2011's. The problem, for me, seemed to progress in the following order: start-up noise, significant drop in mpg, check engine lights, stalling. Some repairs even seemed to correct the problem...until it came back.

GM is replacing my car now. They officially agreed to do so yesterday. Don't have the final details in writing yet, waiting for the dealer to get the info from GM.

In my opinion, if you experience stalling at all, immediately take it in, do what you can to get out of the vehicle. Even if you just have to bide your time until you are qualified for the lemon law, you can then try working with GM to get a replacement.

Some forum members seem to see the problems disappear completely after the repairs. I feel like those people that experience engine stalling in any form/frequency, seem to have the problem come back after repairs. Hoping the best for everyone.

It's a great car, love the car itself, just hate the engine I was dealt.
:thumb: I hear ya Sumr you go girl but a new engine might have solved your issue if the rest of the car was good to go and probably been offered IMHO. I do believe some (a few) people who did not aggresively address these issues when it first happened (parked the car at the dealer at the first sign of trouble) may indeed have caused additional damage by driving it in the poor condition the engine was in. Not their fault for sure and not everyone's cars have been fixed yet due to this possibility but I see recalls of cars 5 and even 10 years old to fix problems so in reality this is all happening relatively quickly in the scheme of recalls. I wish everyone luck and do hope everyone gets a reliable car after these issues are addressed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mochaman said:
I understand the frustrations believe me DI engines are a new thing for many companies and as mentioned some dealers have been less than helpful. No it should not require as much effort as it has to get your cars fixed but the bad parts in the supply chain caused un needed delays. Who knows what related damage may have been done so I am sure some engines may need more work. The point is we know what the problem is and so does GM and it is possible to fix. For those who have had the recall done properly and still have issues I suggest moving up the chain and asking for a new engine if not car to replace the shoddy treatment you have recieved. Should you have to do it probably not but since it is a known problem now the truth is out there. Good luck to those who still have issues :cheers:
So Mochaman, I have never seen or heard where GM has "OFFICIALLY" stated that they had bad parts in the supply chain. I posted on this forum a while ago when I had the startup noise with my 2011 nox and finally got my dealer to attempt to repair it. The first repair failed and my service director told me that the GM engineer he was working with from Detroit told him that they had put bad intake/exhaust actuators (not solenoid valves) in some of the 2011 nox and terrains and then they were shipping those same bad actuators to dealers for repairs, until they finally realized they had bad intake/exhaust actuators out there and started sending out "good" actuators.

Did you hear or see it somewhere that GM "officially" acknowledged that? I am just curious because I have not seen or heard anything official from GM on that but I knew there was bad parts only because the service director at my dealer told me that. That's one thing I had been waiting for from GM, is answers or acknowledgement that they had put bad parts in these cars and then did the same thing on the repair attempts on many, including mine.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As suggested, this thread is exclusively for the posting of TSB or Recall information for the Terrain and Equinox.

Here is where we stand thus far:

Campaign 11195 has been superceeded by Recall 11195A

Per GM:
This bulletin has been revised to include parts, service procedure, and labor time for
repairs to customer vehicles. Please discard all copies of bulletin 11195, issued June

Recall 11195A applies to:
2011 Buick LaCrosse, Regal
2011 Chevrolet Equinox
2011 GMC Terrain
Equipped with a 2.4L Gas Engine (LAF)

Other pertinent data from the Recall:
Please read Line Item #5
This simply notes the States whose Emission Laws require that an Emission Recall Correction Sticker must be afixed to the vehicle upon completion of the work. Please note that in addition to the sticker, in California a Certificate of completion is also required...as noted at the bottom of the Recall notice.

Line Item #5 should NOT be construed as to limit the scope of correction to those states. That is why it is listed after the repair procedures.

CONDITION
General Motors has decided to conduct a Voluntary Emission Recall involving certain 2011
Buick LaCrosse, Regal; Chevrolet Equinox; and GMC Terrain vehicles equipped with a 2.4L
gas engine (LAF). On these vehicles, the camshaft position actuator solenoid may stick,
resulting in the illumination of the malfunction indicator light, rough idle, poor driveability,
and/or possible stalling at low throttle opening.

CORRECTION
Dealers are to reprogram the engine control module, and if necessary, replace the camshaft
position actuator solenoid valves.
VEHICLES INVOLVED
Involved are certain 2011 model year Buick LaCrosse, Regal; Chevrolet Equinox; and GMC
Terrain vehicles equipped with a 2.4L gas engine (LAF).
Important: Dealers are to confirm vehicle eligibility prior to beginning repairs by using the
Required Field Actions section in the Global Warranty system. Not all vehicles
may be involved.
For dealers with involved vehicles, a listing with involved vehicles containing the complete
vehicle identification number, customer name, and address information has been prepared
and will be provided to US and Canadian dealers through the GM GlobalConnect Recall
Page 2 August 2011 Bulletin No.: 11195A
Reports, or sent directly to export dealers. Dealers will not have a report available if they
have no involved vehicles currently assigned.
The listing may contain customer names and addresses obtained from Motor Vehicle
Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any purpose other
than follow-up necessary to complete this recall is a violation of law in several
states/provinces/countries. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this report to the
follow-up necessary to complete this recall.
PART INFORMATION
Parts required to complete this recall are to be obtained from General Motors Customer Care
and Aftersales (GMCC&A). Please refer to your “involved vehicles listing” before ordering
parts. Normal orders should be placed on a DRO = Daily Replenishment Order. In an
emergency situation, parts should be ordered on a CSO = Customer Special Order.
Part Number Description Quantity/Vehicle
12628347 Valve, Cm/Shf Posn Actr Int Sol 1 (If Req'd)
12628348 Valve, Cm/Shf Posn Actr Exh Sol 1 (If Req'd)
SERVICE PROCEDURE
1. Determine the vehicle status.
If the vehicle is still in dealer inventory, reprogram the ECM with the latest calibration.
Refer to ECM Programming in this bulletin. Do NOT replace the camshaft position
If the vehicle has been delivered to the customer, reprogram the ECM and replace the
camshaft position actuator solenoid valves. Refer to Engine Controls - Camshaft
Position Actuator Solenoid Valve Replacement in SI.
ECM Programming
Do not attempt to order the calibration number from GM Customer Care and Aftersales. The
calibration numbers required for this service procedure are programmed into control modules
via a Multiple Diagnostic Interface (MDI) or Tech 2® diagnostic scan tool and TIS2WEB with
the calibration update. Use TIS2WEB on or after 6/23/11 to obtain the calibration. If you
cannot access the calibration, call the Techline Customer Support Center at 1-800-828-6860
(English) or 1-800-503-3222 (French) and it will be provided. Make sure your Tech 2®
diagnostic scan tool is updated with the latest software version or verify that the multiple
diagnostic interface (MDI) that is being used is configured to the PC that will be used. Clear
any codes and verify the condition has been corrected.
For step-by-step programming instructions, please refer to SI and the Techline Information
System (TIS) terminal.
1. Verify that there is a battery charge of 12 to 15 volts. The battery must be able to
maintain a charge during programming. Only use an approved Midtronics® PSC 550
Battery Maintainer (SPS Programming Support Tool EL-49642) or equivalent to maintain
proper battery voltage during programming.
Page 3 August 2011 Bulletin No.: 11195A
2. Reprogram the engine control module (ECM). Refer to SI and Service Programming
System (SPS) documentation for programming instructions, if required.
2.1 Connect the MDI to the vehicle. Connect the MDI to the programming terminal with
a cable (USB or LAN).
2.2 Select J2534 MDI and Reprogram ECU from the Select Diagnostic Tool and
Programming Process screen.
2.3 Select ECM Engine Control Module—Programming from the Supported Controllers
screen.
2.4 Follow the on-screen instructions.
3. Clear all DTCs.
4. If the vehicle has been delivered to the customer, replace the camshaft position actuator
solenoid valves. Refer to Engine Controls - Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve
Replacement in SI.
5. CALIFORNIA, CONNECTICUT, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, MAINE, OREGON,
VERMONT, & WASHINGTON vehicles only: Install a Recall Identification Label.
RECALL IDENTIFICATION LABEL - California/Connecticut/Maryland/Massachusetts/Maine/
Oregon/Vermont/Washington Vehicles Only
Place a Recall Identification Label on each vehicle corrected in accordance with the
instructions outlined in this Product Recall Bulletin. Each label provides a space to include
the recall number and the five-digit dealer code of the dealer performing the recall service.
This information may be inserted with a ballpoint pen.
Put the Recall Identification Label on a clean and dry surface of the
radiator core support in an area that will be visible to people servicing
the vehicle.
When installing the Recall Identification Label, be sure to pull the tab to
allow adhesion of the clear protective cover

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f225c65/483

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tell them to check if your vehicle qualifies for RECALL 11195A - if your build date is in the range of Feb '11 - may '11, it's possible. This will fix your engine light and stalling issues. The same repairs are also covered under PI0496, this bulletin was just issued before they made it a full blown RECALL. Have them look at both, it requires replacement of the cam positioning sensors (TWO of them, which are also referred to as solenoid valves, or a variation of that) AND a computer update. THIS ECM UPDATE IS VITAL TO THE SUCCESS OF THE REPAIR - BOTH MUST BE DONE AT THE SAME TIME.

Service bulletin PI0562 addresses the start-up noise you may be experiencing- this work involves replacing the Actuators (part number 12621505). I will stress that these parts are DIFFERENT than the parts in the RECALL bulletin (those parts are also sometimes referred to as the actuators, it's stupid, go by part numbers to avoid confusion).

Have them look at BOTH of these bulletins!!! It's also wise to go ahead and do an oil change at the same time, this is to clear out any debris that may be in the oil from these parts getting damaged. Oil change is most likely going to be paid by YOU though, just keep that in mind, but it helps a LOT int he success rate.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts