GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After first seeing the area directly under the stereo and how large it was, I thought this would be the best spot for an after market GPS unit. I know it is not the best for looking at while trying to drive but I feel that with the hidden power outlet (NO CORDS!), large size and the fact that most navigation systems talk you through the drive now (ie; speak the street names rather than having to actually look for street names on unit), this is a no brainer.

I got a great deal on a TomTom XXL 540TM with a nice 5" screen on amazon last week and the mount it comes with is perfect for our vehicles. The satellite reception is perfect as well so no issues besides it being a little out of eye site. See my install below, I like how it turned out with no cords in view, you can even fold it back in a bit so it isn't as viewable from outside. I imagine if you got one of the smaller units you could fold it completely up and out of view but this one is a bit larger so its not possible. There is even some room under this so you can still use it for storage. Let me know if you have any questions.

View of storage area before

Storage area with mount secured to top of storage area via adhesive disk that came with TomTom

Finished result

·
Registered
149 Posts
Looks perfect!! I will most likely end up doing the same, it's nice to know an exact model which will fit. I wasn't sure what the heck I was going to store within that deep/dark cavernous region. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I've seen pics here of other people mounting a GPS down there...but you are the first to actually show (and say) where the mount hardware goes. Btw...has Tomtom improved their satellite receiver and mounting hardware? I had a Tomtom a few years back (that eventually died) and the suction cup was horrible at holding onto anything...and you had to have a clear line of sight to the sky before it would connect.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NoobNox said:
I've seen pics here of other people mounting a GPS down there...but you are the first to actually show (and say) where the mount hardware goes. Btw...has Tomtom improved their satellite receiver and mounting hardware? I had a Tomtom a few years back (that eventually died) and the suction cup was horrible at holding onto anything...and you had to have a clear line of sight to the sky before it would connect.
I just switched from an older Garmin and I can say I have just as good of a signal with the TomTom in my Equinox. My father actually has a 2011 Equinox and has done the same with his Garmin 1450LMT he just got for the holiday's. He told me he doesn't need the suction disc I used, his will suction directly to the storage ceiling.

I am hoping gravity doesn't get the best of my setup and pull the suction disc off but I guess time will tell.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Looks great!!!!! ;)

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
barhoc11 said:
I just switched from an older Garmin and I can say I have just as good of a signal with the TomTom in my Equinox. My father actually has a 2011 Equinox and has done the same with his Garmin 1450LMT he just got for the holiday's. He told me he doesn't need the suction disc I used, his will suction directly to the storage ceiling.

I am hoping gravity doesn't get the best of my setup and pull the suction disc off but I guess time will tell.
Yeah, I have a Garmin as well (which gets a signal even indoors) and used the disc on the underside of the dashtop storage compartment. Next time I use it I'll try the suction cup directly to the ceiling of the cubby..

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Ok, tried to stick the mount directly to the underside of the cubby and it worked and felt solid....until I actually clipped the Garmin in and hit a few bumps. Think I need to get another one of those double sided tape discs...

·
Registered
69 Posts
I just tried mounting it on the interior side of the cubby and it seems to be solid, but then I haven't hit any bumps yet. That -does- make a difference.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
newequinoxwep said:
I just tried mounting it on the interior side of the cubby and it seems to be solid, but then I haven't hit any bumps yet. That -does- make a difference.
The interior walls of the cubby are smooth, but not glassy smooth like the mounting disc...I think that is the problem. (at least for me)

·
Registered
626 Posts
Nice!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Found this mount/charger on Ebay for around $20. It fits snugly and perfect length for the cubby area. With two hinged joints and an intergrated mini usb plug, it was exactly what I was looking for, like hitting 2 birds with one stone.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
gmcdan said:
Found this mount/charger on Ebay for around $20. It fits snugly and perfect length for the cubby area. With two hinged joints and an intergrated mini usb plug, it was exactly what I was looking for, like hitting 2 birds with one stone.
That looks like it could work pretty well, once you get it can you post pictures and let us know how it is? I just wonder how solid it will be and if it fits that area good enough. Thanks for letting us know

·
Registered
978 Posts
gmcdan said:
I assume they specify it reduces the voltage from the 12V at the power point to the 5V required by the Garmins with mini USB...

·
Registered
10,506 Posts
gmcdan said:
How long are the "arms" on this device, and does it stay in the car charger firm enough so that you can tap the screen without it moving ?

THX

·
Registered
149 Posts
MOCHANOX said:
I assume they specify it reduces the voltage from the 12V at the power point to the 5V required by the Garmins with mini USB...
Any powered USB jack will be 5V/500mA per FCC/CE regulations.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Took some pics of the Garmin mount, but also purchased a Bracketon Holder to hold my cell phone which also uses a mini usb. The length is about 7 Inches. The mount is very solid after I spread out the contacts where you insert into cigerette outlet. After many "taps" the mount has not fallen or moved.

Attachments

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
GMCdan, thanks for the pictures, just a few more questions....

While driving over bumpy roads, does the screen shake much? Also, how far does this stick out past the opening of the storage area? Any chance to see a picture of this looking down on it?

I am asking because I am not sure how long my solution will hold since gravity is working against it and this seems to solve that issue pretty well.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
gmcdan said:
Took some pics of the Garmin mount, but also purchased a Bracketon Holder to hold my cell phone which also uses a mini usb. The length is about 7 Inches. The mount is very solid after I spread out the contacts where you insert into cigerette outlet. After many "taps" the mount has fallen or moved.
"has" or hasn't fallen or moved? That looks like the best solution I've seen so far, and even better for me since the power cord goes into the back of my unit instead of the bottom. Also, do you have a rubberized cover on the back of your Garmin?

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have thought about cutting a piece of pexiglas or acrilyc to the shape of the bottom of the cubbyhole. Then attach the suction cup to that. It would be smooth to allow the suction cup to stick like it would to glass and would eliminate the "gravity" problem of falling when hitting a bump.

Basically it would be what has been shown on this thread but using the bottom instead of the top. Should work quite well I think.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts