GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the SRX you CANNOT start the car w/o the remote present. The Push button Start will not work if the Transmitter is not there. We lost one at a restaurant (got disconnected from keyring somehow) and were stuck looking at the SRX without a paddle........ We were not near other keychain at home. Onstar could unlock the doors, but cannot start it. Luckily an alert waitress earned a better tip! But problem was demonstrated all too well.

Found new remote on Ebay for $50!. Dealer had to program for me. Now I hide it in car w/o battery installed. It's there if I ever need it!

MM

·
Registered
830 Posts
I am doing the same thing, we don't have a start push button but we still need the keyfob and the key. So i hide it in the car where only me know about and if i scrap my keyfob... lost it... or if it stop working... I will call OnStar they will unlock the car and tadam... a new key is waiting for me :)

I got 3 out of eBay for 40$ (40$ for all 3 :)). I had the key cut and sold the 2 others for 50$ each :p

So in fact, i got paid to get a 3rd keyfob :D And since i had my 2 originals keyfobs, i was able to do the programmation myself.

Motorman said:
On the SRX you CANNOT start the car w/o the remote present. The Push button Start will not work if the Transmitter is not there. We lost one at a restaurant (got disconnected from keyring somehow) and were stuck looking at the SRX without a paddle........ We were not near other keychain at home. Onstar could unlock the doors, but cannot start it. Luckily an alert waitress earned a better tip! But problem was demonstrated all too well.

Found new remote on Ebay for $50!. Dealer had to program for me. Now I hide it in car w/o battery installed. It's there if I ever need it!

MM

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, what a price! So u need the Fob to start also? I thought u could unlock door with the key and putting key in ignition switch, you would dis-arm and start w/o the Fob? Of course u would have to have a hide-a-key hidden on car. Don't think the Onstar would do same. I believe key has to be in drivers door lock...would save the need to have another programmed Fob hidden in , if just the key did it? Let us know. Curious....
Might want to try just for your own edification :D

Thx,
MM

·
Registered
830 Posts
We can't get a key without the fob... The Keyfob got the transponder in it.

Here is a picture, you will understand.

Motorman said:
Wow, what a price! So u need the Fob to start also? I thought u could unlock door with the key and putting key in ignition switch, you would dis-arm and start w/o the Fob? Of course u would have to have a hide-a-key hidden on car. Don't think the Onstar would do same. I believe key has to be in drivers door lock...would save the need to have another programmed Fob hidden in , if just the key did it? Let us know. Curious....
Might want to try just for your own edification :D

Thx,
MM

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts