GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced my factory installed Michelin Latitude Tours with BFG Long Trail TA Tours and I'm pretty happy with the switch. The Michelin's were really good for one thing and that's tread life..I'm sure I could have gotten about 10k more out of them but they were becoming very noisy and developing very slight hairline cracks on the sidewall. The Longtrail TA's were recommended to me by a coworker who has a set on his wifes Nissan Murano and also Chevy Silverado....and I must say that dry handling/traction is better than I remember with the Michelin's (which weren't bad) and they seem very quiet and smooth riding. Time will tell about treadwear/winter/heavy rain performance, but these tires receive consistently good reviews on the internet so I'm hopeful..

Oh, also...instead of doing a straight size swap I went with 235/60 R17's instead of the stock 225/65 R17. I know this will throw the speedo off slightly, but dry grip and steering response improved without hurting the ride quality.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I am going to the Goodyear Tripletreads. They should have the 19" out by the time I need tires.

I have had great traction, miles and grip with them on several of my other cars. I also get a discount through my inlaws.

·
Registered
201 Posts
NoobNox said:
I recently replaced my factory installed Michelin Latitude Tours with BFG Long Trail TA Tours and I'm pretty happy with the switch. The Michelin's were really good for one thing and that's tread life..I'm sure I could have gotten about 10k more out of them but they were becoming very noisy and developing very slight hairline cracks on the sidewall. The Longtrail TA's were recommended to me by a coworker who has a set on his wifes Nissan Murano and also Chevy Silverado....and I must say that dry handling/traction is better than I remember with the Michelin's (which weren't bad) and they seem very quiet and smooth riding. Time will tell about treadwear/winter/heavy rain performance, but these tires receive consistently good reviews on the internet so I'm hopeful..

Oh, also...instead of doing a straight size swap I went with 235/60 R17's instead of the stock 225/65 R17. I know this will throw the speedo off slightly, but dry grip and steering response improved without hurting the ride quality.
I can tell you right now that the BFG Long Trail's are the best tires I've ever owned. I have them on my wife's Highlander and they have 30K miles on them and are just starting to show a little bit of wear. They are quiet and handle great. I will get those tires on every Truck/SUV I own for the rest of my life.

·
Registered
715 Posts
That aspect switch might well have NOT affected your speedometer reading. Tire dealers generally aren't allowed a lot of lee way for size change. They have charts that list 'rolling diameter' for various sizes and can only move about an inch or so up or down.

Tread wear itself changes the speedometer reading compared to a GPS.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wings34 said:
I can tell you right now that the BFG Long Trail's are the best tires I've ever owned. I have them on my wife's Highlander and they have 30K miles on them and are just starting to show a little bit of wear. They are quiet and handle great. I will get those tires on every Truck/SUV I own for the rest of my life.
I've only had the Longtrails about 7 weeks now, but so far I agree with you. In every way that I can tell (wet/dry traction, handling, quietness, ride comfort) they beat the more expensive Michelin tires. Of course I haven't experienced any ice/snow yet, but have no reason to believe they won't perform well for an all-season tire..

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dwendt44 said:
That aspect switch might well have NOT affected your speedometer reading. Tire dealers generally aren't allowed a lot of lee way for size change. They have charts that list 'rolling diameter' for various sizes and can only move about an inch or so up or down.

Tread wear itself changes the speedometer reading compared to a GPS.
Going from a 65 to 60 aspect ratio isn't a huge difference, but it does throw the speedo off slightly...but less than 1mph. In other words, if my speedo reads 70mph I'm actually doing about 70.8-70.9mph. I think it's a fair tradeoff for a bit of improved cornering grip..

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Actually got it backwards, I believe at 70mph on the speedo I'm actually going slightly slower..

·
Registered
715 Posts
NoobNox said:
Actually got it backwards, I believe at 70mph on the speedo I'm actually going slightly slower..
If it changes much at all, you are correct. He went UP a size and DOWN a ratio. So it may well even out.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I like the stiffness of the Latitudes for solid ride feel with stability of sidewall in cornering. I will see how they perform in snow season for traction. I try and keep 38-40 psi in all my vehicles over the years. Only bad tires I had were Goodyears on our 07 Acadia. Got so noisy at 38K miles, I had to replace and only had about 10K left on them. When I saw Goodyears on the Acadia, I said, Okay. You talk about Goodyear tire wear and noise complaints on the Acadia Forum. I thgink they were the Triple Treads or something like that. Funny how a tire mfg can leave a bad taste in your mouth. No Goodyears for me.
:confused:

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
The reality is all companies have good and bad tires. God knows I have seen them all too. I used to work for a company that did a lot of work for the major tire MFG's and we got to work at times with the engineers. They taught us a lot.

Tires are like car models for the most part the newest models will always be the best and the older ones will be the worst. Also how much you pay effects the quality of the tire most times.

This is why most OE tires suck unless you are buying a ZL1 OR ZR1. MFG do not want to pay much for a tire unless it adds something to the vehicle. This is why we get cheap tires or old models on the Terrain and Nox.

Now on the other hand the tires on the ZL1, ZR1 and even the Volt are high priced tires as they were developed for the car to enhance its grip, ride or in the case of the Volt range and grip. Even the Prius is now using the Fuel Max now because the have good grip and add range to the electric cars.

Also some tires react better to some models and some drivers than others. All are not always a perfect match.

The bottom line is if I based my opinion on the Pilots that came with my Chevy I would think all Michelins were crap. I know better than that and the ones that came on my car were just old models. Same for your experience with the Goodyears as I have used the TripleTreads on two different vehicles and nary an issue in their long lives.

Too many people think tires are just round black things you put on your car. The fact is the design and now Compounding is a science to itself. So much so that Kumo ans Hankook have built tech centers here in Akron to keep up with Goodyear and Bridgestone. There is a lot of work going on here in town and a lot of new technology coming in the next few years.

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
hyperv6 said:
The bottom line is if I based my opinion on the Pilots that came with my Chevy I would think all Michelins were crap. I know better than that and the ones that came on my car were just old models.
Mine came with Michelin Latitudes - which I thought were new and good technology in 2010.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
dwendt44 said:
If it changes much at all, you are correct. He went UP a size and DOWN a ratio. So it may well even out.
Speedo shows 1.47% faster than actual rd speed - so at 70 mph it's off by just over 1 mph.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
RIT333 said:
Mine came with Michelin Latitudes - which I thought were new and good technology in 2010.
The Pilots that came on my HHR SS are a very old model. They have little dry gip and no wet grip at all. The wear has been ok but nothing speacial.

I will replace them in the spring with Eagle F1 Asymmetical All Seasons. They just came out and they have gotten great reviews.

The real issue is when you say Pilot or Eagle it could mean 20 different tires. It is almost as bad as Olds when they applieds the Cutlass name to several cars.

Your Latiudes may be fine but the Pilots I had were not the newest nor the best Pilots. They may have been 5-8 years ago. Like I said the newest models are always better then the older ones. All companies have good and bad.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I can't say how they would work on the Nox, but I put a set of Cooper CS4 Touring tires on our second car and so far we really like them.

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
hyperv6 said:
The Pilots that came on my HHR SS are a very old model. T
My bad - when you said "came on my Chevy" - I assumed you were referring to a Nox, not the HHR. Lost track of your stable of vehicles - you have a Terrain, I believe, :confused:

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hyperv6 said:
The reality is all companies have good and bad tires. God knows I have seen them all too. I used to work for a company that did a lot of work for the major tire MFG's and we got to work at times with the engineers. They taught us a lot.

Tires are like car models for the most part the newest models will always be the best and the older ones will be the worst. Also how much you pay effects the quality of the tire most times.

This is why most OE tires suck unless you are buying a ZL1 OR ZR1. MFG do not want to pay much for a tire unless it adds something to the vehicle. This is why we get cheap tires or old models on the Terrain and Nox.

Now on the other hand the tires on the ZL1, ZR1 and even the Volt are high priced tires as they were developed for the car to enhance its grip, ride or in the case of the Volt range and grip. Even the Prius is now using the Fuel Max now because the have good grip and add range to the electric cars.

Also some tires react better to some models and some drivers than others. All are not always a perfect match.

The bottom line is if I based my opinion on the Pilots that came with my Chevy I would think all Michelins were crap. I know better than that and the ones that came on my car were just old models. Same for your experience with the Goodyears as I have used the TripleTreads on two different vehicles and nary an issue in their long lives.

Too many people think tires are just round black things you put on your car. The fact is the design and now Compounding is a science to itself. So much so that Kumo ans Hankook have built tech centers here in Akron to keep up with Goodyear and Bridgestone. There is a lot of work going on here in town and a lot of new technology coming in the next few years.
I agree with some of your points, (especially the improvements in compounding science) but I don't believe that newer is always going to be better in all areas. Improved compounding may lead to better treadwear, traction on some surfaces etc..but changing the tread pattern simply because you need a "new" model to market doesn't automatically mean it will be better than older designs. Also, you say that we get "cheap tires and old models" on the Terrain/Nox...but if you do some checking the Michelin Latitude Tours are at the upper end of the price range for tires that fit our vehicles...and in many cases are still rated higher than other "newer" designs from other companies. I feel that I upgraded with the BFG Longtrails, but still think the Latitudes were very good...and not just "good for OEM tires".

·
Registered
17 Posts
On my Terrain I always used continental tires. They were 19 inch tires and a little more money but kept the noise down on the road.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts