GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So me and the misses decided were going to go get one on Saturday.
Probably order it at her likings. I have a GM collage discount & a credit
union member discount. Which i wont mention about them or a trade in
and a down payment till we work out a price. Any other helpful ideas??
What would be the best way to approach this to get the best possible
deal on a 2011 terrain.

·
Registered
378 Posts
From my experience the first thing they will ask is if you are credit union member...

·
Registered
10,413 Posts
That used to qualify you for special discount pricing. Not sure if it still does, but I'm sure you can find out from GMs Website,

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Credit Union is going to be the lowest you will get a Terrain/Nox for. Simple as that. Plus, the dealers DONT have to accept it either.

Also, you can just use one discount per purchase. Go to the credit union discount site, build your vehicle, print it off and tell your dealer you want this and for that price.

If you dont buy it at MSRP, someone else will!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bballr4567 said:
Credit Union is going to be the lowest you will get a Terrain/Nox for. Simple as that. Plus, the dealers DONT have to accept it either.

Also, you can just use one discount per purchase. Go to the credit union discount site, build your vehicle, print it off and tell your dealer you want this and for that price.

If you dont buy it at MSRP, someone else will!!
Yea I just figure out I can only use 1 discount. But if they dont take it ill go to the next dealer.

·
Registered
378 Posts
lucky19 said:
Why would they ask that?? is that good or bad??
What I mean is, you said you will negotiate price first then reveal that you are member to get additional discount, but they will ask you that first, so they can work out that discount in OTD price from beginning. And since the dealer is probably not losing and $$ on the $750 discount as it's probably paid back to them by Chevy, they could actually offer you less discount (from their view). If they offered someone $1000 off, they lose $1000 out of dealer sale, but if they offered you $1,500 off because of credit union deal, they only lose $750 as the other $750 will be paid back to them by Chevy, even though you are getting the car for lower price. They are only concerned about their bottom line, not the Chevy company as whole.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Other available discounts available for active military or out of the military (retired) within 180 days
at gm military discount ..I also received a $500.00 Certificate toward a Terrain 2010 or 2011..from Ally..GM when I paid off my 2008 Equinox Sport..

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
buickx said:
Other available discounts available for active military or out of the military (retired) within 180 days
at gm military discount ..I also received a $500.00 Certificate toward a Terrain 2010 or 2011..from Ally..GM when I paid off my 2008 Equinox Sport..
Im not in the military so no go on that one, and I still need 4 yrs to payoff my 08 avalanche though ally.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I went to my dealership got off and was approached by a sales guys. I asked him were r your terrains and he answered good luck.
So I asked him if it was even possible to order one and he said nope. So I answered ok laters. Called the next dealership 30 miles away
and sales guy said they might be able to order one but they close in 20 min ( darn football game). I called the dealership i just left and
asked the samething. The salesman i talk to said they has 3 slot left for ordering one and he would call me back on monday. **** guess
they r that popular or what the first sales guy said "the manufacture is slow so they aren't make that many"

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have 3 dealers within 50 miles of me that have each 25 to 30 terrains in stock., plus one dealer in Big Flats ny offering $845.00 off msrp.

M

·
0 Posts
2011 Terrains and Equinox's are a hit & miss right now as some dealers got some in already and others don't have any allocation units available and even when they do come up delivery is about 6-8 weeks.

I ordered mine Aug 30th and got it Oct 5th (almost 6wks). The good news is the shuttle to ship additional car bodies to Oshawa to increase capacity is ramping up so an order today might end up being sooner.

As for negotiating a discount, figure out a number you're comfortable with (% discount of MSRP) and tell him this is what you want to pay..."you go figure out how you want to dice up the credits".

Believe me, hey have room to move! they may not offer as great a discount if you take one of their in stock units but if you order one and it's not cutting in to their inventory I'm sure they'd be more flexible.

FYI, My Nox $40,750 MSRP ($CDN). I got $2175 (about 5%) discount off MSRP right off the top. Plus I had an additional $1500 loyalty credit for a previously dicontinued GM product...a 99 Grand Am.

Good luck....but stick to your guns...remember these guys want to sell cars...and I'd just tell him you will call every single dealer in the state and each state around it to get that price so he can either have the sale or his competitor can have the sale.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ordered the fighting chance packet quite interesting way of negotiating. I got a quote from a dealership 3 1/2 hrs away $500 over invoice minus any incentives which i dont think theirs any, total of 33,177.67 out the door. Come to find out $500 over invoice is they are using the credit union incentive to give me the $500 over ha sneaky fellow. If anyone wants a look at this packet pm me.

M

·
0 Posts
I may be a little confused, or maybe it's different in the US than Canada but when you say "Invoice" are you refering to the MSRP price shown in the vehicle detail and price breakdown sticker on the inside of the passenger window? or are you reference to the invoice price to the dealer from the Manufacturer.

The discount I mentioned I got was off the price on the window sticker which includes the breakdown price of all the options and shipping. A discount of 4-5% on this price is not unreasonable! all other discounts and incentives (that don't come out of the dealers pocket anyway) are extra discounts for you...don't let them leverage these discounts in your final price.

I wouldn't get any quotes from dealers over the phone or email...they just know you're fishing and the likely hood that it becomes an actual sale for them is very low. You will do better in person as is shows merit on your part. Simply drive to every dealer within a reasonable radius starting with the closest one, speak to a sales guy in person, tell him your target price (including delivery admin fee ect..ect...but excluding taxes) and tell him "do this price and I'll sign the dotted line right here and now...a penny more and I leave." The answer is either yes or no and you'll give him 10-15min to work on some #'s.

also have a list in your hand of all the dealers names and addresses within that radius. If he Hmmmms & haahhs about it then show him the list and say you will be visiting each and everyone of these dealers until you get that "x" price. So he can either take the sale...or not! And if, not a single dealer does that price then you will now know the "true" lowest they can go is actually higher.

Scratching out his dealers name on the list in front of him will show you mean business....write "your" cell# on the back of "his" business card and hand it back to him (shows you're done with him and can't cave in & call him back even if you wanted too). Tell him if you get more than 10min drive away from the dealer then don't bother calling back my number at all...I'll already be too far on my way to the next dealer!

Good luck and stick to your guns.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So finally it has come to order it after holding off an a better deal.
I got 2 dealers to give me their best out-the-door price, then had
the other one see if they could beat the last price of the other dealer.
I decided to go with 500 under invoice. Which left me at $32,148 drive
out. I was looking to get the
SLE-2 v6
FWD
convenience package
18' bright rims
nav
rear seat entertainment
Seeing as their are no incentives other than the credit union one, I thing im geting a good deal
What do you guys think. Good deal??

·
Registered
193 Posts
lucky19 said:
So finally it has come to order it after holding off an a better deal.
I got 2 dealers to give me their best out-the-door price, then had
the other one see if they could beat the last price of the other dealer.
I decided to go with 500 under invoice. Which left me at $32,148 drive
out. I was looking to get the
SLE-2 v6
FWD
convenience package
18' bright rims
nav
rear seat entertainment
Seeing as their are no incentives other than the credit union one, I thing im geting a good deal
What do you guys think. Good deal??
Sounds really good to me. I paid $30k OTD w/o convenience, nav, or RSE. Sales tax here is 8.1%.

M

·
0 Posts
IMHO if you didn't get 5% knocked off the top from the total MSRP price that is posted on the sticker in the window then you've payed too much.
Of course there are other factors that might determine if a dealer will sell it to you for that discount (availability, trim level, ect)...but they can do it !

1 - 18 of 18 Posts