GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
good day everyone, first of all I greet everyone from hot Dubai. I am a proud owner of this car, I am very happy with the car, but lately I have a problem that I should fix. I text first to all of you in the hope that you will help me. I've flipped through most of the topics and I guess what might be a problem, but sure experts here can give me some advice. car information: GMC Terrain GCC specs, 2015 Denali option, 120k km. engine 3.6 AWD automatic. in recent months every morning in the cold (engine temp) when I start the car and start driving I have grinding sounds that are heard louder when the car accelerates in the first few gears. by the sound I think it's somewhere in the front of the car, almost I'm sure it is. the sound is like scraping metal from metal, like there is no oil in engine and the oil has been checked. there is enough oil in the engine, a few days ago I changed the transmission fluid, and I changed the transfer case oil counting that it may be too little oil or that it is time to change. after the car reaches operating temperature, this sound is no longer heard when accelerating from the zero, it is not heard. I also think that in the morning when I turn on the cold and drive the car immediately, and turn to one side or the other, that sound is heard louder, which is also almost not heard in a similar drive after the car is warmed up. do you think the problem is a transfer case and needs to be changed? I ask because car maintenance here in an authorized service center is extremely expensive, and in private garages I don't really trust them, and they can also list parts of cars that work quite normally, that they were damaged just to get as much money as possible. I hope for your help, to at least reduce the choice of what to pay attention to. thank you all for any help. greetings from a Croatian guy living in Dubai.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I realize that this will seem silly...but have you checked your brakes lately? I've seen where they scrape more until you've driven a little and the sound kind of goes away...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, nothing is silly if you help me :)
Well wouldn’t in that case be, if i press the brake , grinding will increase? And then when brakes and oil are warm, with braking should be less noisy?
I have it only with acceleration on first start of the car when car is “cold”.

I’ll probably first tell them to check the brakes.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Since the sound doesn't change when you rev in neutral it eliminates things that are belt driven on the engine like the alternator or AC compressor. In my experience - Usually grinding sounds will be coming from something near the wheel like a bearing or scraping /worn brake pad. Or since you don't hear it once you have driven a bit could it be rust on the brake rotors from sitting overnight? Once the rust is all cleaned off there's no more sound...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Check the front brake shields. If they are too close they will grind the rotors. It happened to me once, one of them was too close. I pried it further away with a screw driver and the problem fixed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’ll change discs and brakes anyway on Monday, I think its time… they dont look good. I’ll post here what happened after that if something changed or not ( and I’ll tell mechanic to check brake shields)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi everyone, an update from my side. maybe it can help other people.
I went to official dealer to check what is the problem. They fixed it :)
so they said two issues: 1. Power steering pump and hose ( probably sound that i wasnt familiar with) 2. Drive Belt tensioner and idler pulley.
They said number 2 was the problem with grinding sound.
Changing all of that in official dealer was 1232 Dollars ( so you can compare the price here in Dubai and US) with labor included in price.
This morning no sound, car drives smoothly, there are some minor also issues they found, but ill fix it outside of official one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts