GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI

What kind of rims do I have to buy for 225\60\17 tires for my Terrain...If I buy them used, what`s specs do I look for....First post!!

Thanks

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
Go to TireRack.com and you can get the specs exactly, but I believe it is 17" with 5x120MM boltpattern with 45 MM offset.

EBAY may be your best bet. Try the "search", and you can get some tips of previous people's experiences.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Be sure to understand the wheel offset you need before you buy.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you're going to buy rims for your Terrain you have to buy also the TPMS or transfer your existing TPMS to your new rim. If you’re going to buy another TPMS make sure that you will write all the serial # of your new TPMS and which sides they going to put that TPMS, then you have to go to the dealer to program your new TPMS. The problem here is…If you plan to return your default or existing rims you need to pay it again to re-program your TMPS so that it will not light up your tire sensor.
Another way once you get your rim let the GMC dealer install it for you so that they will re-program your TPMS.
What I do to my Camry is… I remove my default rim including the all season tire and put another rim with different serial of TMPS & winter tires... I let the sensor lights on for the whole winter season then after the winter season, I return my original rims & the sensor lights will going back to normal.

M

·
0 Posts
You should either go with the multifit steel wheel or the actual OEM wheels. I wouldn't recommend going with an aftermarket fancy aluminum wheel.
Reason, if you slide in to a curb 4 years down the road and need a replacement you can always find another steel wheel or OEM wheel but the same aftermarket might be discontinued or no longer carried by the tire shop.

I managed to snag off ebay a set of the actual 17" Equinox aluminum wheels, with TPMS sensors for $800 shipping included. I just purchase my Michelin Latitide X-Ice a few days ago for them.

·
Registered
10,393 Posts
TerrainSLT2 said:
If you’re going to buy another TPMS make sure that you will write all the serial # of your new TPMS and which sides they going to put that TPMS, then you have to go to the dealer to program your new TPMS. The problem here is…If you plan to return your default or existing rims you need to pay it again to re-program your TMPS so that it will not light up your tire sensor.
Another way once you get your rim let the GMC dealer install it for you so that they will re-program your TPMS.
I just want to be sure - can someone confirn that you have to have the dealer program new TPMSs. I thought that the vehicle would simple recognize a new TPMS Signal and you can just initialize the car to their locations. Anyone with a Service Manual that can comment, or someone who has actaully gone through this process ? I plan to use a new set of TPMSs on Snows this Winter.

THX

·
Registered
365 Posts
Keep you factory rims on all year round. Give them a nice coating of Rejex and wash the car every week. You will be fine. We live in Northern MI with lots of salt. So far my rims on both cars look as good as new. 7 year old Vue and a 3 year old trailblazer.

·
Registered
441 Posts
RIT333 said:
I just want to be sure - can someone confirn that you have to have the dealer program new TPMSs. I thought that the vehicle would simple recognize a new TPMS Signal and you can just initialize the car to their locations. Anyone with a Service Manual that can comment, or someone who has actaully gone through this process ? I plan to use a new set of TPMSs on Snows this Winter.

THX
you need to know what freq the factory system uses to even have a shot in the dark at the computer recognizing it.....if your buying factory sensors youll be fine....youd just need to pair the new sensors with your terrain and youd be good to go...

·
Registered
93 Posts
RIT333 said:
I just want to be sure - can someone confirn that you have to have the dealer program new TPMSs.
Yes you need the dealer to re-program your new TPMS because the serial # in your new TPMS is different than the one installed in your vehicle.

I thought that the vehicle would simple recognize a new TPMS Signal and you can just initialize the car to their locations. Anyone with a Service Manual that can comment, or someone who has actaully gone through this process ? I plan to use a new set of TPMSs on Snows this Winter.
That's what I thought before that having a new TPMS with the same brand can recognize it but it doesn't. So when I ask the price to change it and re-program my new TPMS they say it's $90 each tire because they are going to remove the tire and read the serial # each TPMS. So I decided not to re-program it and leave as it is because it's nothing... it's just only a tire sensor and I'm sure once I return my original rim & tire the sensor light will going back to normal.
You have to ask the dealer first before you buy anything so that you will not be frustrated at the end.

Goodluck

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I just recently went down to my dealership and my parts guy who happen to be a friend of mine has ordered the Terrain winter tires and rims. The winter rims arent really that bad looking and they are a reasonable dollar amount. I think they are about $130 CAN. If i can happen to get a picture of them, i will post it.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
UPDATE: The rims are about $147ish with tire pressure sensors. Thats is of course plus GST....

Cheers,

ICEBEAR

1 - 11 of 11 Posts