GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the second I purchased this GMC 2019 Terrain SLT, the infotainment system has not worked properly. I've taken it to the local dealership multiple times and they haven't been able to determine the issue. Though they did give me some pretty ludicrous "solutions" to try to fix it.

1. The system reboots whenever it feels like it. I'll start the car, start driving, listening to music. Suddenly the screen goes blank and after a minute or two, the main screen appears and I have to reselect the music source. Of course, I can't reset the navigation app while driving.
  2. Casting from Android Auto to the screen sometimes works and most times doesn't.
  3. My music library on the USB stick connected in the middle console sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. For example, today I started the car, selected the external USB link and music started. I made a stop, restarted the car, and the infotainment system didn't recognize the drive.
  4. Because GMC decided not to include navigation in the system, I'm dependent upon Android Auto. Well, the navigation cast will work unless you make stops and have to restart the vehicle. Then the cast may stop working and you have to disconnect the phone and restart navigation to get voice commands and visual cues from the phone.
  5. Sometimes, the link to Pandora doesn't work and I do have the GMC wifi package.
The dealership has seen my car multiple times in the few months I've owned this car. They have said things like:

1. We need to upgrade the program in the infotainment system.
  2. We need to replace the infotainment unit.
  3. You need a new cable. Are you using the cable that came with the phone? Now, I bought a higher grade cable and it made no difference. Also, no one has been able to explain why I need some type of special cable. It certainly isn't in the manual. So, a few months ago, they said they were going to order a cable. After not hearing from them in over a month, I emailed the service manager. He said that he had ordered a cable that should be in within a week and he would call me. Of course, I never received a call. And then couldn't get the dealership to return my calls.
So after not receiving any communication from the dealership, I was forced to contact GMC's national office. I spoke with someone there multiple times. She couldn't reach the dealership. She seemed to think I should just show up at the dealership and demand service. Of course, there was the "COVID19" excuse that they were extremely backed up. So I then went to Elliott Advocacy to get the addresses of customer service executives at GMC and explained all this to one of the executives. I never got a response from him. However, the woman at GMC contacted me today and said that she was able to reach the dealership and to pick up the new cable that would magically resolve all my issues. Of course, there was no answer when I asked how. So I went to the dealership, spoke with a rep who had no idea what I was talking about. However he was explaining to me that on the Buick or Cadallac, you have to unplug all USB devices before restarting the car. He seemed to think that this was a normal thing to have to do. I explained to him how ridiculous that was. Everytime you start the car you have to make sure all USB devices are unplugged? He then said the plugged in devices could interfere with the program that starts the infotainment system. I then had to explain what a BIOS was and how it controlled the starting program. To no avail. Because the service manager that came out with the "new" cable that had been ordered said the same thing. I pulled the cable from the tiny ziploc bag and found a dirty, frayed and used cable. THIS was the new cable I'd been waiting to get for 3 months? He just said to try it and it should resolve everything.

The impression I get from everyone I've dealt with at every level of GMC is that as long as the car drives, nothing else matters.

So after all that, am I the only person having an issue with GMCs infotainment system? This is my second Terrain and the 2010 model I owned never had problems like this. Does this fall under the lemon laws in some states? Thanks.

·
Registered
261 Posts
This would possibly fall under the lemon law here in PA as long as specific conditions were met. The problem would have to first be reported in the first 12mo/12,000 miles. The same issue would have to try and be repaired 3 or more times. If the vehicle is out of service for 30 days for various issues it would also trigger the lemon law here. Every state is different, though.

Have you tried a different dealer? Has your Infotainment unit done any OTA updates since you purchased it?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Have they actually replace the radio? I just had mine replaced because the voice recognition was not working. It now boots a lot faster and less annoying. You will know they truely replace the radio as all your presets and settings will all be back to factory default. You also will no longer have account on the radio if you set one up. I do once in a while have my USB stick not working but all i do is just unplug and then back in and it works fine.

Everything your having issues to me points you have bad storage/memory on the radio system. I would assume since the car has been at the dealership the system has been updated to newest firmware.

The pandora link on the car itself is not as good as the one on your phone when using Android auto.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your quick reply. I haven't tried a different dealership yet as the next location is about 30 miles away. I'm in NC and based upon what I've read, my case may qualify. My biggest problem with this dealership is that they just don't seem to care. Which is unusual, because I've had great service from them on the mechanical issues with my previous Terrain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Joe. You have some good questions. I can only say that they told me they replaced the radio. When I got it back, I did have to reset my controls. As far as the USB stick, sometimes unplugging it will get it to work. Sometimes not. The guy at the dealership actually said he had to unplug all the peripheral devices on his home computer or it would "get confused" and not boot. Unless his computer is from the 90's, the BIOS controls the boot drive. And I explained to him that I never had these problems with the 2010 Terrain. And that had a navigation system and hard drive built in. They also haven't been able to explain why the unit sometimes accepts the Android Auto cast from my phone and sometimes doesn't. They just keep saying it's a cable issue, though they have yet to explain why certain cables wouldn't work and show me one that does. And they claim to have upgraded the software at least once. I still can't believe that the service manager thought it was ok to give me an obviously used cable while they kept the new one. Since this has been happening, I don't even take the car there for a simple oil change.

·
Registered
236 Posts
It sounds like they don't have a person that understands electronics/computers. You can actually take it to any GM dealer and have them work on it. Before going the Lemon law i would take it to another GM dealer. They may have just reset the system and not replaced anything. Which you can do your self and have to reset everything.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2014 Terrain Denali GPS died and remains in continuous restart screen. Service Techs advised that the infotainment system was defective and needed to be replaced for around $1,800.00 parts. Trouble is - they say the replacement infotainment system is "back ordered" and they have been waiting on one for an earlier customer for several months. I told them to order me one and notify me when they received the replacement for my order - seven months and counting - no reply. Service manager told me that GMC does not have any replacement systems available for several of recent but not new model years. They actually recommended I have the GMC Infotainment system removed and replaced with a commercial unit from anyone else.
I am done with GMC service and GMC vehicles.

·
Registered
958 Posts
My 2014 Terrain Denali GPS died and remains in continuous restart screen. Service Techs advised that the infotainment system was defective and needed to be replaced for around $1,800.00 parts. Trouble is - they say the replacement infotainment system is "back ordered" and they have been waiting on one for an earlier customer for several months. I told them to order me one and notify me when they received the replacement for my order - seven months and counting - no reply. Service manager told me that GMC does not have any replacement systems available for several of recent but not new model years. They actually recommended I have the GMC Infotainment system removed and replaced with a commercial unit from anyone else.
I am done with GMC service and GMC vehicles.
WOW!!! Planned and programmed obsolescence!!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Have you looked on Ebay to see if anyone has one? Its possible you get a used one and have it installed by dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
USB Connections

My 2019 Equinox has a problem connecting to the android app. In the beginning, it worked fine for about 2 months. I connect USB to the port directly under the info system and when it worked I would constantly lose my google map. I brought in 2 times to the dealer I bought it from and they kept telling me I need the Samsung cable that came with the phone and it was the original cable. I went out and bought 2 more cables direct from Samsung. I tried the USB port under the console armrest and it works fine. I brought it to another Chevy dealer and he told me they all work fine. I had him connect with me in the car and I told am tired of your BS he said the version of the Google app is not right it must 12. something or higher mine is 19. pt something. I told him if the USB port under the armrest connects with the Android app and the one directly under the info system does not then there is something wrong with those ports.
Can any shed some light on this I am totally frustrated with chevy service.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Does yours have the USB-C port there too? If so have you tried that one. If it works fine there you should be able to show them the difference too. It does sound like you have bad port or loose cable under the dash.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought of having the unit replaced with a more modern system, but can that be done with a GMC vehicle? The few times I've tried to research this issue, I ran across some YouTube videos that showed how to install a third party unit which actually use Android Auto wireless, but I couldn't determine if any would work with the Terrain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So during my last post, I took the car to a different dealership. Very friendly staff who worked with me to try to get this working. They were working with the GMC technical staff (supposedly, the people who created the software). They tried reprogramming, replacing USB modules, replacing the radio twice. While they were doing this, GMC told the dealership to have me use a 2020 GMC Acadia for a week. I had no problems connecting my phone and making the USB connections and voice commands work. They had me try it in a 2020 Terrain and everything worked. Finally, they found a 2019 Silverado, which supposedly had the same system as my 2019 Terrain. In this model, the voice commands worked perfectly, connected to my USB music device and ran commands perfectly, Android Auto worked and projected correctly. All before leaving the dealership. The moment I got it back home and took it out later that afternoon, I started having the same problems. Instead of a USB3 to USB3 round cable, I used a hybrid USB3 round to USB2 square. Everything suddenly worked. Switched the cables and it continued to work. On another trip, neither cable worked. The last two days I had the loaner truck, didn't encounter any problems. The dealership reported this back to GMC. Their final response was that there's something in my Samsung S10 that's causing the problem and that I would have to wait for Samsung to create a fix. Which still doesn't explain why the voice commands don't work or why it works sometimes and not other times. It doesn't explain why it doesn't work with my Samsung S7, which I never had a problem with in my 2010 Terrain. GMC said that's all they can do. I think I'm stuck with a defective vehicle and have no alternatives. There are lemon laws in NC and I guess I'll consult an attorney to see what my rights are. I didn't expect this kind of service from GMC, but my next vehicle will definitely not be GMC/Chervolet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So today, I tried calling GMC National with the information using the case number from January. I got somebody who said she's getting a customer service experience manager. Then she says I have to call them. She gives the number of the dealership that gave me the used cable. Then she says no one is available and to wait for a call tomorrow. If this is an example of their customer service, I can see why they have so many problems with their vehicles

·
Registered
236 Posts
Your problems sound like mine until they replaced the actual radio module. Once that was replaced i have just a few hiccups now and then and its usually Android auto. but voice commands all work now. I did have issue with my Samsung s7 in my 2016 2nd gen cruze once i got the s9 all the problems went away. I have seen issue with older phones and Bluetooth and new car systems. I hate too see you have to do a lemon law but sometimes you have too.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Sounds like an issue I had with my previous Hyundai. My Samsung phone wouldn't connect to the bluetooth in the car. Samsung blamed Hyundai. Hyundai blamed Samsung. Samsung then told me to get a firmware update from Verizon for the phone. Verizon said no firmware updates were available. Went back to Samsung who immediately blamed Hyundai. Hyundai blamed Samsung and said that was their final word on the matter. Bought a cheap $20 Motorola Razr phone from Tracfone and it worked perfectly in the Hyundai. Used it for several months, then finally got an HTC Android smartphone that worked perfectly as well. Dumped the Samsung phone.

5 years later, traded the Hyundai for my Chevrolet. The HTC android phone worked fine in the Chevy. Eventually upgraded the HTC to a Samsung Galaxy android phone. The Samsung did not work 100% with the infotainment system in my Equinox. It would connect, and place calls, but it wouldn't call out if I pushed the voice button on the steering wheel and said "Call John Smith". It would dial, then immediately disconnect with the message that the call failed. If I initiated the call via the phone itself, everything worked fine. The call would dial out, I could talk via bluetooth, and hang up via the steering wheel. Eventually traded the Samsung phone for a Google Pixel 3A, and all of the issues disappeared and everything works perfectly.

I think Samsung does some funky things with their bluetooth protocols and smartphone interfaces.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sounds like I may have the same issue with my 2018 Terrain. It may happen 1 in every 20 starts where the infotainment system will not read the USB and I get the message "No Device Detected". The only way to correct the problem is to stop the car and cycle the ignition. I have navigation so I do not use Android Auto. I have not brought it back to the dealer for this issue because I know they will not be able to duplicate the problem. I will mention it next time in for an oil change.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sounds like I may have the same issue with my 2018 Terrain. It may happen 1 in every 20 starts where the infotainment system will not read the USB and I get the message "No Device Detected". The only way to correct the problem is to stop the car and cycle the ignition. I have navigation so I do not use Android Auto. I have not brought it back to the dealer for this issue because I know they will not be able to duplicate the problem. I will mention it next time in for an oil change.
I recently updated music on my USB drive and the system wouldn't recognize drive and gave the same message "No Device Detected". Without doing anything I used voice command to play an artist and then the drive showed up. Haven't had any issues since. Might have to try unplugging it and replugging it back in and see if the same thing happens.

·
Registered
2013 GMC Terrain SLE-2 3.6L Crystal Red Tintcoat
32 Posts
Ahhhh... isn't technology just grand!..
Seems kind of ironic that the Korean Samsung phone wouldn't link properly with the Korean Hyundai vehicle....go figure.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts