GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

GM still updates Navigation and other software for 2015 Equinox

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  c&wsinbad 
#1 ·
As the title claimed, would GM still do updates for 2015 Equinox?

Reactions: qtrhrsluvr09
#3 · (Edited)
I have found Garmin with a lifetime update is a better value. The screen isn't as big, but gives all the information I need, and more reliably than GM's navigation. Driving a 2014 Malibu in Oct 2013 (6 week old car), GM's nav system put me in the middle of a corn field in Amarillo Texas when I was looking for a hotel; all addresses were correct. Plugged in Garmin and drove to correct location. I also use Google Maps and ApplePlay to give me current traffic information.

#4 ·
Funny you mention about another GPS device, since I used my cell google map and the SUV nav. at the same time, and found the SUV nav was lost and sometimes gave the wrong direction.
For the price we paid for these auto, you would think GM would give the updates as part of the vehicles warranty.

#5 ·
For the price we paid for these auto, you would think GM would give the updates as part of the vehicles warranty.

Yep, and the car should also come with a BtB lifetime warranty...right ?

Aerosmith : Dream on... dream until your dream come true...

#6 ·
Reliance on electronic navigation is mind blowing. Always have been issues from day one of GPS devices and always will be glitches, dead spots or just plain bad data. Plus it will route you through the most dense traffic areas. Decades of doing home service taught me not to throw out those paper atlas's when looking for reroutes due to road closures in non everyday areas.

#8 ·
I never travel out of local area without the old analog, paper atlas in the car! And I always look at it before starting each day's travel to make sure I have basic awareness of highway changes and alternate routes.

When in the military and going TDY, after arrival at TDY location, I would ALWAYS do a route reconn the evening before meetings would start. Nothing like arriving late because you got lost, or mis-estimated driving time to put egg on your face and tarnish credibility!:wink:

#9 ·
I never travel out of local area without the old analog, paper atlas in the car! And I always look at it before starting each day's travel to make sure I have basic awareness of highway changes and alternate routes.

When in the military and going TDY, after arrival at TDY location, I would ALWAYS do a route reconn the evening before meetings would start. Nothing like arriving late because you got lost, or mis-estimated driving time to put egg on your face and tarnish credibility!:wink:

On our motorcycle trips I use both a GPS and paper maps.
I like how on a paper map I can see little roads and a big overall picture at the same time.
It's easier for me to look at the paper map each day and get a picture in my head of where we are headed.
If I have a picture in my head I know when the GPS is giving me a bad instruction.
I would have a hard time riding across the country on two lane roads with only a GPS.

#7 ·
YET, years ago everyone wanted one of those star trek enterprise gizmo called cell phone to which millions of people now use to talk, video chat, and also use the gps to get around.

I guess dream do come true

#10 · (Edited)
Lee F---We are cut from the same cloth. I do exactly as you do! Earlier this summer my wife and I were up in the Dallas area. As we departed, heading for home, we decided to use I-35W instead of I-35E--which meant we would go west toward Ft Worth before turning south, instead of just catching 35E and heading south. As seh was looking at google maps for traffic flow, she commented that there was backup on 121--and while I can't remember the major highways now, she was able to tell me what looked like a shift in roads that would still allow us to proceed, and all because I had a mental picture of the map in my head from looking at it prior to our departure. GPS can't do that; it's to small and narrowly focused in the view it presents, and when you move out to a broader picture, then the roadway information isn't displayed. Paper maps are sooo much better!:smile:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.