GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

GM Service Bulletin 14882 - Blocked PCV valve causing Rear Main Seal failure

277K views 164 replies 92 participants last post by  richnewton 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have a 2010 NOX that just had this exact problem, but GM says the VIN does not apply :angryfire:. Regardless, I didn't see it on this forum, so here is a copy/paste of the TSB:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2015/SB-10057696-3071.pdf

Bulletin No.: 14882
Date: March 2015

SPECIAL COVERAGE
SUBJECT: Special Coverage Adjustment – Plugged PCV Orifice in Intake Manifold
MODELS: 2010-2013 Buick LaCrosse
2011-2013 Buick Regal
2012-2013 Buick Verano
2011-2013 Chevrolet Captiva
2010-2014 Chevrolet Equinox
2013 Chevrolet Malibu
2012-2013 Chevrolet Orlando
2010-2013 GMC Terrain
Equipped with 2.4L Ecotec Engine (LAF, LEA or LUK)

CONDITION
Certain 2010-2013 Buick LaCrosse; 2011-2013 Buick Regal; 2012-2013 Buick Verano; 2011-
2013 Chevrolet Captiva; 2010-2014 Chevrolet Equinox; 2013 Chevrolet Mailbu; 2012-2013
Chevrolet Orlando; 2010-2013 GMC Terrain vehicles equipped with a 2.4L engine (LAF, LEA or
LUK) that have experienced high oil consumption may also experience a frozen and/or plugged
PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system during cold weather operation. This condition may
increase crankcase pressure leading to a rear crankshaft seal oil leak. If the oil leak is ignored or
not noticed, an engine clatter noise may be noticeable and/or the engine pressure warning light
may illuminate. If this condition is not corrected, continued driving with engine noise and/or the
engine oil pressure light illuminated may damage the engine.

SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT
This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000
miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service,
regardless of ownership.
Dealers are to perform a crankcase pressure check, and if required, remove the intake manifold
and clear the PCV orifice. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.
For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after
March 4, 2015, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor
operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to March 4, 2015, must
be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

VEHICLES INVOLVED
All involved vehicles are identified by Vehicle Identification Number on the Applicable Warranties
section in GM Global Warranty Management system. Dealership service personnel should
always check this site to confirm vehicle involvement prior to beginning any required inspections
and/or repairs. It is important to routinely use this tool to verify eligibility because not all similar
vehicles may be involved regardless of description or option content.

PART INFORMATION
Parts required to complete this special coverage are to be obtained from General Motors Customer
Care and Aftersales (GMCCA).
Note: Use the vehicle identification number (VIN), SI and the GM Electronic Parts Catalog to
determine which parts to order. The Crankshaft Rear Oil Seal Replacement procedure in SI states
what parts are required to complete the repair. For example, gaskets, one-time use fasteners, and
fluids.

Part Number Description Quantity/Vehicle
12591866 Crankshaft Rear Oil Seal 1

Repair procedure omitted for space. Click on the link above if you would like to see more

See less See more
#64 ·
That as my dealer and other mechanics said, It is the same vehicle, same engine same problem as the ones covered by the special coverage. Also that GM knew about this problem a long time ago and should have told me and fixed it while my vehicle was still under warranty and before the problem occurred.

#67 · (Edited)
I would seem that all of us could take a snippet from the GM TSB. One of the things it tells the tech to do is test for positive or negative air pressure at the clean side PCV orifice on top the valve cover as a way of determining if the internal PCV is clogged. Take the hose off the valve cover port, start the motor, rev to around 1500 RPM and see if it will hold a small sheet of paper up to the orifice. If so, then the PCV system internally is operating normally. If it won't hold it or pushes away, then the internal PCV is getting clogged or is already fully clogged.

A very simple test that could make someone aware of a problem before it becomes a $4000+ problem. Those that are not so inclined to do this sort of thing, if they take their vehicle into the dealer for oil changes, ask the tech to test the valve cover port for proper PCV flow according to the TSB. Would take only 15 min shop time to do.

Seems this is the only preventive measure available short of tearing things apart regularly and checking the internal orifice directly.

Also, the warranty extension I have seen on this particular issue does not lay out VIN numbers, but years of 2010-2013.... 2010-2014 on the Nox. And the warranty for this issue is extended for 10 years / 120,000 miles. So.... it would seem even a 1L law student could get a resolve on this one.

Attachments

#68 · (Edited)
Besides routine cleaning of the PCV orifice every 30K to 40K miles . . .

One other preventative measure is to install a vented Oil Filler Cap.
There is the after market one from CFM as well as a GM vented cap.
Using one of these will prevent prevent crankcase pressure from blowing out the engine main seal on 2.4L engines.
The GM Vented Oil Filler cap that is recommended by GM Tech Bulletin on other vehicles can also be used on Equinox/Terrain. Owners on the truck and Camaro forums have installed them.

There is no practical way to do an "air flow" check on the PCV path during the uncertain conditions when the PCV orifice may suddenly freeze up in cold weather. A crankcase pressure sensor would be a great preventative measure.

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/177599-acdelco-fc219-oil-cap-tech-bulletin/

https://www.c-f-m.com/performancepa...-Equinox-GMC-Terrain-2-4L-Ecotec-766p6443.htm

https://www.carid.com/acdelco/gm-original-equipment-sae-5w30-vented-oil-filler-cap-mpn-fc219.html

" -So, there's a tech bulletin out that advises that when it gets really cold, I mean, cold cold, there is a tendency for the PCV system to freeze up and cause high crankcase pressure that blows oil out of seals, etc. The solution is to put on a vented cap, FC219, to allow the pressure to vent if necessary. It's a cap that has a coil spring pressure relief valve to vent if it gets above a set point. "

#69 ·
As I responded in the other thread, I would prefer to use the Elite Engineering clean side cap replacement option. I get far too much dust and dirt in my engine compartments to risk using a breather like that one. The EE cap maintains the closed system and just replaces the stock PCV hose from intake to air intake plenum. Filters out crud that comes thru the line as opposed to the stock system which just allows that stuff to go the intake and add to the mess in the intake manifold.

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/clean-side-oil-separator/

#70 ·
The CFM cap has a ball check valve and the GM cap also has a preset pressure valve. No dust or debris can enter either.

Also, there will be not mess going into the air plenum or intake if the PCV orifice is not clogged. Another member verified this with the very same Elite product.

Just showing what is available to other members and readers.

#71 ·
JayTee....So, the GM Vented filter cap is considerably cheaper than the CFM unit. Would it suffice just as well or is there a particular reason to go with the more complex CFM model? Also, do you happen to know, following the link you gave for the GM filter cap, if it would fit a 2013 Terrain? The website says no, but I find that difficult to believe. Thank you for your expertise!

#76 ·
We just had the engine in our 2015 Equinox for this very same problem!

A "newer" 2015 Equinox, ^^^^ , with crankshaft rear main seal failure.......

Last winter after a minus 10 degree weekend, my Chevy dealer had 5 "newer" Equinox's in his parking lot on Monday morning, all with crankshaft rear main seal failure.

Winter is coming....winter is here!

#75 ·
Same. Exact. Problem. Today. 2013 Equinox, 2.4L, 10deg, Low Oil Stop Engine Message, Blew Rear Main Seal.
GM and Chev dealer said that VIN is not covered, so too bad!

Love to see the list of the VIN(s) that are covered. Probably one vehicle - Mary Barra's ! LOL

Reactions: ThreeNox
#80 ·
My Engine blew too

I had no previous issues with the Chevy before my engine blew. I had no alerts in my dashboard or in the car about the engine or anything. I was just driving home from work on 12/19/19 and it said something about my oil pressure being low. I had no idea what was going on. I drove it for about 5 minutes and my car died in the middle of the road, in an intersection in town not far from my house. Two very nice people stopped and helped to push my car off the road before there was an accident. I had it towed and the dealer told me
that my rear main seal blew and it ruined my whole engine. I just bought this car, April 2019. I paid $13,700 for it. And now I just paid $6,800 to put a new engine in it. I'm very devastated over this, this is something that should not have happened. I did not expect to sink another $7,000 into this car that I just bought. I'm also having other problems with the car. Something is messed up with the wiring system because my remote will not work even though I changed the battery. My car won't lock and when I try to lock it, it just dings and it unlocks. As soon as I open up my door all it does is ding on the inside. So I'm thinking it must be something with the electrical or the wiring system. Nothing but bad experiences with GM/ Chevy model that I currently own. I will never ever buy another Chevy or recommend Chevy to anyone. And I know plenty of people who do have an Equinox and they say they never have any problems. But they have the newer versions then I have. I was excited to get this car even though it's second hand and now I am just devastated and disgusted with this whole issue. I'm seriously thinking of contacting a lawyer. I've also had to put in a new battery and 2 new front tires.

I sent their CAC this info. This was the email I got:
Dear Mary,

I have called you and received your voicemail numerous times regarding your vehicle issue. I understand your concerns and sorry to hear that you have had this experience. GM looked into cost assistance for your repairs and it came back that you were not eligible so GM wouldn't be participating in the repair cost due to age and mileage of the vehicle and because of that GM would not be able to do any forms of reimbursements for the repair. What I can do is offer you a $100 Service Voucher for any future maintenance or repairs you may have.

General Motors realizes that a consumer not only purchases a GM vehicle because of its high quality, but also for the exceptional customer assistance that comes with that product. Our Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center operates under those guiding principles. When our office receives a request for assistance from one of our customers, it gathers information and thoroughly investigates each situation to determine the appropriate consideration for that case.

Again, I have reviewed your Service Request 9-5725322181 with the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center. I support the decision that was previously made and communicated to you. I apologize that the decision was not in accordance with your wishes, however, this is the final decision of General Motors and we will no longer address additional communications on this subject. Please feel free to contact us again with any other concerns you may have outside of this issue.

I am seriously thinking of contacting a higher executive about this, especially after reading the bulletin. Is it worth it or to even contact a lawyer? The dealership never told me about this. And according to the bulletin they also state this " Dealers are to perform a crankcase pressure check, and if required, remove the intake manifold and clear the PCV orifice. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer. " Did they do this prior, I have no idea. What do you suggest? Thanks!

#81 ·
I had no previous issues with the Chevy before my engine blew. I was just driving home from work on 12/19/19 and it said something about my oil pressure being low. I had no idea what was going on. I drove it for about 5 minutes and my car died in the middle of the road, in an intersection......
that my rear main seal blew and it ruined my whole engine. ks!
what was the outside temperature?
was it cold outside, was car parked in an outdoor parking lot for an hour in cold weather?

#82 ·
Posting for others that might be having the same issue. If you have had any problems with oil consumption, timing chain, pistons, or PCV valve issues please call the class action office at 310-474-9111. There has already been a settlement for a variety of Chevy and GMC models but mine (a 2014 GMC Terrain) is not included. Feel free to private message me if you have any questions. The more that call the more they have a case. There has already been a settlement for several other GM vehicles so it may not be that hard to get additional vehicles covered.

#115 ·
can I get an update on the outcome of this please?

I am currently dealing with GM due to the same issues My 2016 Equinox engine blew due to faulty pcv valve. I have only had it 2 years and I owe $15,000 on it. My extended warranty won’t cover it because it excludes weather related problems. The valve freezes when temperatures get below 18, causing it build pressure until the rear main seal blows. The oil blows out and the engine blows. I live and bought the car in the Midwest. I am currently fighting the dealership. They have known of this issue prior to 2015. My car is a 2016. The service manager told me that there are 9 GM models with this problem. She also said there is no warning to prevent it from happening. Every solution GM and the dealer come up with results in me paying $5,000. I keep telling them, “I. Maintained the car as I was suppose to. GM is knowingly using faulty parts. I am not liable. I did nothing wrong. I’m not paying anything.” I currently owe $15,000.

#85 · (Edited)
You have several choices when it comes to reducing crankcase pressure in your 2.4 liter ecotec LEA engine....
... to reduce the chance of crankshaft rear main seal failure
And improve the life of your engine
Google.....

The Ac delco Fc219 oil cap.
If you try to blow through it, when it is new and no oil on it, you will not be able to blow through it, which means that the cracking pressure will be between 1.5 and 2.5 psi.
This oil cap allows air out of crankcase and not in and costs the least.
It should prevent rear main seal failure under cold conditions,
And it will probably will not vent under idle since cracking pressure is greater then 1 psi , and crankcase pressure at idle is less then 1 psi.

The c-f-m performance valve cover breather
See post 19. https://www.equinoxforum.net/31-engine-drivetrain/26053-2-4l-piston-ring-replacement-progress-2.html
Allows air out of engine at a very low psi of about 0.1 psi
Or 0.2 psi or 0.05 psi, who knows?
And it does not let air into crankcase.
It vents even when my Equinox is at idle, when the intake manifold is pulling a 9 psi or 10 psi vacuum, as measured with a scan tool. While getting crankcase gasses out of crankcase is good,
a risk of venting at idle would be that if your fresh cabin air intake, which is outside of your engine
at base of wipers, is covered wth snow and ice, you might suck in and smell "crankcase oily smell" into your passenger compartment.
There is a gasket that seals between fresh air intake and the engine compartment, but if that gasket is damaged or missing, then crankcase smell might get into passenger compartment.
1 case has been reported in these forums of crankcase smell getting into passenger compartment, but no details are known if snow covered wiper area.
As a precaution, as a test, even though I have no such smell on my 3 equinox's in a 1 year time frame,
I added a radiator hose to duct the escaping air from the cfm oil cap to the ground, as a precaution. This radiator hose is a perfect fit for my equinox's.
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p..._content=404718&c3ch=Affiliate&c3nid=IR-27795

A third option would be
"Billet Aluminum Valve Cover Oil Cap w/Breather Air Filter Fit For LSX"
and purchase a 1/2 inch ID hose, ( the breather air filter is removed and replaced with 1/2 inch hose, and use the provided hose clamp to attach 1/2 inch hose to billet.)
This idea (like the cfm idea) was presented by adidas in these forums. See his post 56 for pictures,.....
https://www.equinoxforum.net/9-terr...778-frozen-pcv-rear-main-seal-blow-out-6.html
The 1/2 inch hose was added to duct crankcase fumes away, to the ground, as a response to the 1 reported case of crankcase smell in passenger compartment, as described above.
This "billet" does not have a check valve, so air can be sucked into crankcase when the crankcase is in a vacuum state.
On a normal engine, this billet would not be good for fuel trims, that is, UN metered air flowing in through this oil cap, then thru the dirty side PCV, and then into combustion chambers, would throw off fuel trims on a normal engine.

But, this is not a normal engine.
As I said above, even at idle, when intake manifold vacuum is 10 psi, I feel crankcase pressure exhausting through the cfm oil cap.
However, i have also once seen, intake manifold vacuum at idle, on my newer 2016 Equinox with 19k miles, after a 1 hour 65 mph highway run, then afterwards at idle I measured a 10.7 psi intake manifold vacuum, and the crankcase was in vacuum also, the check valve on my cfm oil cap was sealed shut, that is, it was not venting.

Also, often when decelerating, intake manifold vacuum does exceed 10.7 psi vacuum, I have seen intake manifold vacuums of 11.7 psi while decelerating.

My point is your CRANKCASE will suck in extra air into crankcase through this oil cap, under certain conditions like decelerating
BUT
that does not mean that excessive air enters the intake manifold through the dirty side PCV,
that is,
on this poorly designed "internal to the engine, dirty side PCV orifice" even if air enters through the oil cap into crankcase does not mean that
It will impact fuel trims.
In fact,
addidas has said he has not seen any adverse variation of his fuel trims when using this "Billet Aluminum Valve Cover Oil Cap w/Breather"

A fourth choice for a vented oil cap would be jayTees home made checkvalve, that he proposed in fall of 2018 in these forums, as a method to prevent rear main seal failure.

#86 ·
UGH!!! $2065.69 REPAIR!! I'M LEGIT CRYING!!
On a cold 12 degree day on my way to grocery shop on Sunday 1/19/2020 I was driving my 2013 GMC Terrain on a busy state highway doing the speed limit of 55 mph. Out of no where I began to smell the odor of burning oil and then seen white smoke coming from the rear of my vehicle. As soon as I noticed it my car's gauges started coming on. The check engine light, a warning to for "Service StabiliTrak", then the warning for "Engine Power Reduced". At the moment my car all the sudden SHUT OFF while driving down a major highway! There was no power steering and it was very hard for me steer my car into the parking lot of Walmart and safely off the road. Once in the parking lot I got out of the car and checked my oil. Smoke is rolling out of the dipstick shaft. I check my oil weekly due to GM's oil consumption issues with the 2013 GMC Terrains and on 1/15/2020 the oil was at full, was of normal color and consistency when I fueled and checked it that day. So I was shocked to see that there was NO OIL on my dipstick and instead a milky brownish sludge on it. So I go into walmart buy 2 quarts of oil just to get it to the Walmart Service department so they could look at it since I was in the Walmart parking lot. I added the oil drove it 100 yards to the service dept of Walmart. The service man pulled it into the garage and then informed me a few minutes later that the rear main seal blew and oil was flowing out of it. It was not driveable so I had to have it towed to a GM dealer. The GM dealer called me this morning 1/21/2020 to inform me that the rear main seal blew due to moisture in the intake and a possibly frozen PCV module which caused to much pressure to build up and blew the seal. The dealer quoted the repairs to be $2065.69 and informed me that the repairs are not covered under the GM Service Bulletin #14882 because my VIN number is not included in the service bulletin. After calling GM I got the run around about a CCM or CMC manager calling me in 3 days. But she said right now they will not cover any of the repairs bc my VIN isnt listed on that bulletin! Why!!?? It's the same make, model, engine, engine size, same problem, same issues, same everything!! Why isn't my VIN covered!!?? So through with GM!! I'm a single Mom I can't even afford another repair to fix this car again. 😭😭

#87 ·
Once again, my guess is that if we could see the 2.4L list, we would find that the only owner's name that we would find on the list would be Mary Barra ! LOL Fortunately for her, she probably drives a Caddy.

#90 ·
2013 Equinox - Same exact problem

So, we had the same problem on 12/15/19. I drove 6 hrs and towed it from Madison, WI to home.
We pulled the engine, found ice in the PCV valve, completely disassembled it and found the PCV orifice plugged.
I called GM and of course, our VIN is not covered.
I need this back on the road, so I ordered parts; bearings, chains, chain guides, pistons, rings, gaskets, etc. About $600. When I went to swap the pistons, I found the wrist pin bronze bushings in the connecting rods were cracked and broken. I'm having a hard time finding bushings and/or connecting rods.
You would think with all the problems this engine has had that parts would be easy to find.
Anyone have a good source for the wrist pin bushings or connecting rods?

#91 ·
I called GM and of course, our VIN is not covered.

Sorry for being a little off-topic, but seems like if I were told this, i would chase the issue up the GM management chain to find out exactly why you are not covered, and then try to find out why some are on the list, and what is the differentiating thing that puts some on the list, and 99% odd the list. I am tired of hearing people reporting this, but since I don't have a horse in this race, I am not will to waste my time.

#97 ·
A great video...
In order to prevent crankshaft rear main seal failure from occurring in ice cold weather,
the skillfull gentleman in that video, added an ADDITIONAL dirty side PCV hose to allow crankcase pressure to escape crankcase
He connected "home made" vented oil cap to the intake manifold with a 1/2 inch inner diameter hose.
Brilliant!!!

GM should have implemented his ^^ solution in 2013, when GM knew that when folks drive their 2.4 liter LEA Ecotec engine in freezing cold weather, that the clean side PCV could freeze solid, and then rear main seal failure can occur.
Had GM done that in 2013, then thousands of disastrous rear main seal failures could have been avoided.

I said "ADDITIONAL" dirty side PCV hose, ^^ because the existing dirty side PCV orifice is still functional in the intake manifold.! Remember he cracked the original intake maintold cracked drilling a pipe thread into it, so his brand new intake manifold has an " unplugged dirty side PCV orifice". He did not plug up the existing dirty side PCV orifice.

The brilliant gentleman just added a second way for the intake manifold to suck air into the intake manifold.
I wonder if his fuel trims are still good? . . . .???
I really wonder ? ? because it allows a lot of unmetered air into the intake manifold ......
At idle, his new hose really sucks "fumes" out of crankcase. You can hear it in the video when he puts his thumb over the hose.
The gentleman in this video seems very thoughtful and knowledgeable......
====>>. I bet his fuel trims are fine. <<<<<=====
And
With his additional vent for the crankcase, his engine will last much longer because of less crankcase gunk build up inside the crankcase
And he will not have rear main seal failure.

Finally, since this clever gentleman's set up did not mess up fuel trims,
that would imply that Adidas6804444 simple and low cost solution,
to prevent rear main seal failure
Should also NOT mess up fuel trims.
See post 56 in link below, an oil cap vent with no check valve
https://www.equinoxforum.net/9-terr...778-frozen-pcv-rear-main-seal-blow-out-6.html

The bottom line is, . . . adding a vented cap, wether the cfm cap, the oil cap with no check valve or the vented cap connected to intake manifold,
All three will keep crankcase pressure at zero, which not only reduces the inside of engine from gunking up all yer round
But
all three solutions will prevent crankshaft rear main seal failure in ice cold weather.

#94 ·
Having this same issue. Car died last week during cold weather, stared leaking oil. Shop says rear main, likely from frozen PCV valve. Tried special Bulletin #14882. Vin doesn’t quality even though it is the 2.4L ecotec. I’m working my way through GM customer service, as it is wrong for them not to cover my repairs, when I have the same engine and same issues. No warning lights or check engine lights ever came on. My car just shut off while I was on a 4-lane freeway thankfully I was able to get over. GM needs to hold themselves accountable for a KNOWN issue that could cause bodily harm or death.

#104 · (Edited)
That’s the “Settlement” for the Oil Consumption problem caused by the bad piston rings on the 2010-2012’s (plus a handful of 2013’s built before May 2013) that The Court ramrodded through and Approved because it has too many cases on its dockets, and something like this case is easy to Close and Deny because it fits multiple legal criteria and precedent.

They paid off the 11 original Plaintiffs (in at least 3 states), $4500 each ... enough to make *them* happy, gave the lawyers $3.4 Million (8% of GM’s alleged/estimated/purported outlay of cash to “Settlement” members ... a “low” lawyer fee compared to precedent, BTW), told the Objectors to “shut up”, and turned to the rest of the Class Members (1.6 Million owners) and said, “Good luck cashing in on those (now expired) SCAs ... but you can get rental car fees if you had incurred those”.

The thing about these cases is - so much of them is shrouded in mystery. Out of the 1.6 Million owners of these 2010-2012 (plus a handful of 2013 owners) ... how many got this problem fixed (?) ... and how many got “stuck” because their vehicle “failed” one (or more) Consumption Tests (but was still burning or otherwise losing oil at an alarming rate)? Of the “repaired” engines ... how many experienced the same problem *again* (?). How much money did owners lose in vehicle valuation due to this defect (The Court conveniently dismissed *that* argument off-hand, BTW).

Everyone should’ve OPT-Ed OUT of that Class Action. Only 1700 did so, and this was one of the reasons The Court was able to ramrod it through to Closure.

The problem with these “Class Actions” is - they meet the requirement for a class-action in terms of *size*, but they get SO big that they become too disorganized to effectively attack the Defendant. So then The Court steps in and just starts looking for every reason to wrap it up and close it out.

And then ... you ... the “little guy” gets next to nothing while the lawyers and a few hand-picked Plaintiffs laugh all the way to the Bank.

These two parties basically use YOU to get what THEY want from the Defendant (i.e.: 11 people isn’t enough for a Class Action Suit). What we (the “little guys”) should try is ... organize 1.6 Million individual lawsuits (or some otherwise very large number), filed simultaneously (in Small Claims Court) across the country, and make sure we’re all on the same page, with the same Complaint, and same Demands. Then we’ll see how The Court handles *that* surge!

But ... as far as this particular Case (Excessive Oil Consumption) ... it ended just like they all do ... “DONE and ORDERED”! (Or whatever that goofy language is the judge stamps on the paper to make it all disappear...)

#103 ·
A 2016 Equinox ^^^
A "newer" 2.4 liter ecotec 4 cylinder engine...
Toast
Just because it was
Driven in ice cold weather
No surprise rear main seal failed ....
^^^ That is GM for you, ^^. Gm knew at least in 2013 of that failure Mode ^^

At least ,
GM does not "mur der" anyone with rear main seal failure.

As they did with their key ignition switch that "turned" off too easily...
Imagine driving along, 35 mph, your kids driving, .... they have a big keychain that is "bumped" buy the passenger...
And
It rotates to the off position,
engine turns off, because key rotated too easily, and steering wheel locks..
And you can not restart car because you are not in park..
Still going 35 mph, with a locked steering wheel....
Imagine...
So many are dead.... because of GM cheating on their PPAP for not meeting GM's minimal key rotation resistance specifications ...
And
GM got away with ^^ "mur : der"

Yup
Gm did not meet their own specifications....
And they made defective ignition switches for years...

Good luck winning against GM, They deserve a real bankruptcy... not a fake one like they got in 2009...
Good luck.. with your lawsuit...
for a rear main seal failure that costs you thousands of $$$$$
And spilled a little oil on pavement..
Brcause you drove in ice cold weather....

Just because gM made a small change, switching from port injection to GDI engine
to meet tighter fleet fuel economy specs
The same PCV system that worked fine on port injected 2.4 engine
Fails on these GDI engines....

We know that ^^^ and use vented oil caps... and drive in ice cold weather.