GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
121 - 140 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Equinox LT 2.4 FWD
488 Posts
69,000 miles, the warranty was expired at 60,000
Thanks for responding, your mileage pretty much confirms what I've seen with others, i.e. around 70k miles you can pretty much count on a blocked or carbon-ed up pcv pathway. Did you get a new engine or did they rebuild the old one? In any case it looks like GM treated you better than most with the same problem.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
No . . likely . .. the extension number was already changed. Or will be soon.

Reactions: RIT333

·
Registered
2 Posts
Posting for others that might be having the same issue. If you have had any problems with oil consumption, timing chain, pistons, or PCV valve issues please call the class action office at 310-474-9111. There has already been a settlement for a variety of Chevy and GMC models but mine (a 2014 GMC Terrain) is not included. Feel free to private message me if you have any questions. The more that call the more they have a case. There has already been a settlement for several other GM vehicles so it may not be that hard to get additional vehicles covered.
My daughter has a 2014 Equinox that just blew the rear main seal that will cost us $3,000 because the VIN does not pull up in the bulletin. Is there any further information about a class action lawsuit for 2014 Equinox, because it was not included in the last class action settlement.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My daughter has a 2014 Equinox that just blew the rear main seal that will cost us $3,000 because the VIN does not pull up in the bulletin. Is there any further information about a class action lawsuit for 2014 Equinox, because it was not included in the last class action settlement.
This just happened to me on Saturday. Driving my wife's 2014 Equinox on the expressway, 75 mph the engine shut off with no warning - thank the lord for electric power steering - so I coasted off the road in heavy traffic and sat in an unheated car in 20 degree weather for two hours waiting for a tow. From what I am reading here we are not going to be receiving any help on this. If you do find anything out please let me know and I will do the same.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 GMC Terrain with.only 173,00 miles. I did an oil change and Recently my wife experienced a check engine light with a "Reduced Engine Power" warning. After checking the oil, I was surprised to find that there was barley any oil in it. Not dry but close.
Further inspection found that the rear mail.seal on the engine is leaking so after tons of research by her dad and myself he found this bulletin for the PVC being clogged. We live in Northwest IN where temps drop to negative ( as they have this past week) and every year. Anyways I called the GMC dealer near US and was told that our VIN nor year fall under the bulletin, However I spoke with a tech and he said possible causes is blocked PVC Value. Now he's telling me the most possible cause but it doesn't fall under this bulletin? Any suggestions????

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
I have a 2017 GMC Terrain with.only 173,00 miles. I did an oil change and Recently my wife experienced a check engine light with a "Reduced Engine Power" warning. After checking the oil, I was surprised to find that there was barley any oil in it. Not dry but close.
Further inspection found that the rear mail.seal on the engine is leaking so after tons of research by her dad and myself he found this bulletin for the PVC being clogged. We live in Northwest IN where temps drop to negative ( as they have this past week) and every year. Anyways I called the GMC dealer near US and was told that our VIN nor year fall under the bulletin, However I spoke with a tech and he said possible causes is blocked PVC Value. Now he's telling me the most possible cause but it doesn't fall under this bulletin? Any suggestions????
First, don't try and keep driving it by just adding more oil. The seal will go suddenly and all oil will be lost and the engine will seize.

Search this forum for threads regarding PCV valve and "main seal" There are a few that show some rather simple modifications to help reduce the chances of blowing out the main seal again.
One is getting a ACDelco FC219 vented oil filler cap for $20 or less.
Another is changing the PCV tube from the valve cover to the air intake so it does not slope and build up condensed water in a low spot that freezes < - - That actually is the cause of most main seal blow outs. Crankcase pressure builds up and can not flow vapors into the air intake. So then, the pent up crankcase pressure blows out the main seal.
There is also a thread where a member provided a secondary PCV path and tube to assure no crankcase pressure build up.

·
Registered
10,785 Posts
There is a list of vin's that are covered for you problem, but best I can figure there is only one vin on the list and it is the car owned by Mary Barra. Unfortunately, you are probably SOL, unless you are Ms. Barra.

Reactions: JayTee2014

·
Registered
2 Posts
My rear main seal needs to be replaced also. Friday I was driving (2014 Equinox) when I suddenly smelled smoke and the engine started making a loud noise. Pulled over, dipstick was dry, added oil and it leaked out the bottom of the car. I took it a dealer today per the recommendation of my mechanic after finding the TSB, but GM didn’t ask for my VIN#. They’re looking at the car in the morning, and in the meantime I googled my problem. I found this thread and it does not make me feel good about the call I’ll get tomorrow. :( The engine didn’t seize, so I’m hoping even if I end up paying for the repair, my engine won’t need to be replaced. Wishful thinking?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2010 NOX that just had this exact problem, but GM says the VIN does not apply :angryfire:. Regardless, I didn't see it on this forum, so here is a copy/paste of the TSB:

http://m.gm.oemdtc.com/Recall/SB-10057977-8108.pdf

Bulletin No.: 14882
Date: March 2015

SPECIAL COVERAGE
SUBJECT: Special Coverage Adjustment – Plugged PCV Orifice in Intake Manifold
MODELS: 2010-2013 Buick LaCrosse
2011-2013 Buick Regal
2012-2013 Buick Verano
2011-2013 Chevrolet Captiva
2010-2014 Chevrolet Equinox
2013 Chevrolet Malibu
2012-2013 Chevrolet Orlando
2010-2013 GMC Terrain
Equipped with 2.4L Ecotec Engine (LAF, LEA or LUK)

CONDITION
Certain 2010-2013 Buick LaCrosse; 2011-2013 Buick Regal; 2012-2013 Buick Verano; 2011-
2013 Chevrolet Captiva; 2010-2014 Chevrolet Equinox; 2013 Chevrolet Mailbu; 2012-2013
Chevrolet Orlando; 2010-2013 GMC Terrain vehicles equipped with a 2.4L engine (LAF, LEA or
LUK) that have experienced high oil consumption may also experience a frozen and/or plugged
PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system during cold weather operation. This condition may
increase crankcase pressure leading to a rear crankshaft seal oil leak. If the oil leak is ignored or
not noticed, an engine clatter noise may be noticeable and/or the engine pressure warning light
may illuminate. If this condition is not corrected, continued driving with engine noise and/or the
engine oil pressure light illuminated may damage the engine.

SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT
This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 120,000
miles (193,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service,
regardless of ownership.
Dealers are to perform a crankcase pressure check, and if required, remove the intake manifold
and clear the PCV orifice. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.
For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after
March 4, 2015, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor
operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to March 4, 2015, must
be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

VEHICLES INVOLVED
All involved vehicles are identified by Vehicle Identification Number on the Applicable Warranties
section in GM Global Warranty Management system. Dealership service personnel should
always check this site to confirm vehicle involvement prior to beginning any required inspections
and/or repairs. It is important to routinely use this tool to verify eligibility because not all similar
vehicles may be involved regardless of description or option content.

PART INFORMATION
Parts required to complete this special coverage are to be obtained from General Motors Customer
Care and Aftersales (GMCCA).
Note: Use the vehicle identification number (VIN), SI and the GM Electronic Parts Catalog to
determine which parts to order. The Crankshaft Rear Oil Seal Replacement procedure in SI states
what parts are required to complete the repair. For example, gaskets, one-time use fasteners, and
fluids.

Part Number Description Quantity/Vehicle
12591866 Crankshaft Rear Oil Seal 1

Repair procedure omitted for space. Click on the link above if you would like to see more
Thanks for responding, your mileage pretty much confirms what I've seen with others, i.e. around 70k miles you can pretty much count on a blocked or carbon-ed up pcv pathway. Did you get a new engine or did they rebuild the old one? In any case it looks like GM treated you better than most with the same problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts

When we finally picked it up after they replaced the intake system, my daughter started driving away and it overheated because the water pump had seized up and then we had to replace the motor for $7500.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We have a 2014 Equinox that last Tuesday 1/11/21 The car started running funny, pulled over into a parking lot and car died. We noticed alot of oil under car and up the rear liftgate. Had it towed to where we get the oil changed ( its a Ford Dealer). We purchased an extended service policy from Fords where we bought this car used. They are saying its not covered. So we have had it towed to our service guy to get fixed. Is there anything we can do to see if the Dealer just isn't wanting to not do this repair and we can recoup some costs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This just happened to me on Saturday. Driving my wife's 2014 Equinox on the expressway, 75 mph the engine shut off with no warning - thank the lord for electric power steering - so I coasted off the road in heavy traffic and sat in an unheated car in 20 degree weather for two hours waiting for a tow. From what I am reading here we are not going to be receiving any help on this. If you do find anything out please let me know and I will do the same.
We have a 2014 Equinox that last Tuesday 1/11/21 The car started running funny, pulled over into a parking lot and car died. We noticed alot of oil under car and up the rear liftgate. Had it towed to where we get the oil changed ( its a Ford Dealer). We purchased an extended service policy from Fords where we bought this car used. They are saying its not covered. So we have had it towed to our service guy to get fixed. Is there anything we can do to see if the Dealer just isn't wanting to not do this repair and we can recoup some costs.
Mr.

had to replace PCV valve and oil seal on our 2012 Terrain $2480.00
176000 k's
can I get monitary assistance on my repair bill

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 174.6k miles
4,509 Posts
Little known fact, but this problem actually goes all the way back to 1912, just 4 years after GM was formed, when they were asked to design the same part on a big boat that ended up going down in the North Atlantic. The part was so important to the operation of the boat that GM insisted it be put in the name, but I can’t remember the boat’s name offhand. Think there was a big lawsuit with that one, too...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Having the same problems. PCV failed and blew the main rear seal. Im waiting on GM but guessing they will say my VIN isnt part of the service bulletin. I have been on here the past couple of days and have not heard of one person who IS covered... I will be contacting a lawyer anyone else want to also do the same?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2014 Equinox with 113,000 miles and last Thursday, 2/3/2022, my oil pressure light and turn off engine light came on. I coasted into a parking lot and had to have it towed. It was a VERY cold evening in Western WI. My mechanic (not a dealer) advised me of this service bulletin since the rear main seal was blown for this same exact reason. I'm getting the run around from all the local GM/Chevy dealers/service centers. Very frustrating! I would be happy to join in a class action lawsuit! It is all so ridiculous that your VIN needs to be listed - the bulletin doesn't say anything about that and it clearly lists 2010-2014 Equinox up to 120,000 miles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was fortunate that my powertrain warranty covered my repair, but I’m still angry that certain VINs don’t qualify. I was also lucky to be on a side street when the dang thing blew - had just gotten off the interstate and had my child in the car. Is there a time limit on these types of lawsuits? Currently in a rigorous nursing program and don’t have the time or energy for this at the moment.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was fortunate that my powertrain warranty covered my repair, but I’m still angry that certain VINs don’t qualify. I was also lucky to be on a side street when the dang thing blew - had just gotten off the interstate and had my child in the car. Is there a time limit on these types of lawsuits? Currently in a rigorous nursing program and don’t have the time or energy for this at the moment.
I am going to look more into it and I will get back to you! This is absolutely wrong and they put so many lives in danger!

·
Registered
3 Posts
2015 EQUINOX Blocked PCV Valve

It looks like the problem has affected the 2015 model. We just purchased a 2015 FWD 4 cyl, 6 speed Equinox with 54k miles from a dealer in a neighboring state. While having it PA state inspected, we requested our mechanic to go over it with a fine tooth comb due to having a bumper to bumper warranty for a year. Being a Chevy guy, he found the common problem in our 2015. Luckily we can have it repaired with minimal cost before it blew. Very poor engineering and Chevy's notorious lack of responsibility for this problem. We decided to have our mechanic fix the problem on our dime instead of an unknown mechanic at a dealership "fixing" the problem.
My point is this problem exceeds the 2014 recall. Sad they haven't added this year yet, but they should.
my 2017 equinox was just hit by this issue. 3716.28 is the estimated cost to fix at Serra Chevy. looks l am DEFINITELY not getting help from chevy or GM. what's outrageous to me, is the claim that it only affects years 11-13, but there are literally thousands of us affected by this horrible engineering defect. ive thought about class action but just do not have the resources to do that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
my 2017 equinox was just hit by this issue. 3716.28 is the estimated cost to fix at Serra Chevy. looks l am DEFINITELY not getting help from chevy or GM. what's outrageous to me, is the claim that it only affects years 11-13, but there are literally thousands of us affected by this horrible engineering defect. ive thought about class action but just do not have the resources to do that.
Ecatly!!! This issue is not just a few cars manufactured by 1 plant it is a design flaw affecting hundreds to thousands of people! I will look more into a class action and after I get more information I will post it here!

121 - 140 of 156 Posts