GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

101 - 106 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Posting for others that might be having the same issue. If you have had any problems with oil consumption, timing chain, pistons, or PCV valve issues please call the class action office at 310-474-9111. There has already been a settlement for a variety of Chevy and GMC models but mine (a 2014 GMC Terrain) is not included. Feel free to private message me if you have any questions. The more that call the more they have a case. There has already been a settlement for several other GM vehicles so it may not be that hard to get additional vehicles covered.
Hi Ktrasher, do you work with that law firm? The rear main seal on my 2016 Equinox blew out on Dec 10, 2019. Ilive in Minnesota, and the temperature was -6 that day, so I strongly suspect the PCV valve froze. I'm going to give them a call on Monday

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Hi Ktrasher, do you work with that law firm? The rear main seal on my 2016 Equinox blew out on Dec 10, 2019. Ilive in Minnesota, and the temperature was -6 that day, so I strongly suspect the PCV valve froze. I'm going to give them a call on Monday
Just to be clear, do you have the 2.4L?

·
Registered
145 Posts
A 2016 Equinox ^^^
A "newer" 2.4 liter ecotec 4 cylinder engine...
Toast
Just because it was
Driven in ice cold weather
No surprise rear main seal failed ....
^^^ That is GM for you, ^^. Gm knew at least in 2013 of that failure Mode ^^

At least ,
GM does not "mur der" anyone with rear main seal failure.

As they did with their key ignition switch that "turned" off too easily...
Imagine driving along, 35 mph, your kids driving, .... they have a big keychain that is "bumped" buy the passenger...
And
It rotates to the off position,
engine turns off, because key rotated too easily, and steering wheel locks..
And you can not restart car because you are not in park..
Still going 35 mph, with a locked steering wheel....
Imagine...
So many are dead.... because of GM cheating on their PPAP for not meeting GM's minimal key rotation resistance specifications ...
And
GM got away with ^^ "mur : der"

Yup
Gm did not meet their own specifications....
And they made defective ignition switches for years...

Good luck winning against GM, They deserve a real bankruptcy... not a fake one like they got in 2009...
Good luck.. with your lawsuit...
for a rear main seal failure that costs you thousands of $$$$$
And spilled a little oil on pavement..
Brcause you drove in ice cold weather....

Just because gM made a small change, switching from port injection to GDI engine
to meet tighter fleet fuel economy specs
The same PCV system that worked fine on port injected 2.4 engine
Fails on these GDI engines....

We know that ^^^ and use vented oil caps... and drive in ice cold weather.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
That’s the “Settlement” for the Oil Consumption problem caused by the bad piston rings on the 2010-2012’s (plus a handful of 2013’s built before May 2013) that The Court ramrodded through and Approved because it has too many cases on its dockets, and something like this case is easy to Close and Deny because it fits multiple legal criteria and precedent.

They paid off the 11 original Plaintiffs (in at least 3 states), $4500 each ... enough to make *them* happy, gave the lawyers $3.4 Million (8% of GM’s alleged/estimated/purported outlay of cash to “Settlement” members ... a “low” lawyer fee compared to precedent, BTW), told the Objectors to “shut up”, and turned to the rest of the Class Members (1.6 Million owners) and said, “Good luck cashing in on those (now expired) SCAs ... but you can get rental car fees if you had incurred those”.

The thing about these cases is - so much of them is shrouded in mystery. Out of the 1.6 Million owners of these 2010-2012 (plus a handful of 2013 owners) ... how many got this problem fixed (?) ... and how many got “stuck” because their vehicle “failed” one (or more) Consumption Tests (but was still burning or otherwise losing oil at an alarming rate)? Of the “repaired” engines ... how many experienced the same problem *again* (?). How much money did owners lose in vehicle valuation due to this defect (The Court conveniently dismissed *that* argument off-hand, BTW).

Everyone should’ve OPT-Ed OUT of that Class Action. Only 1700 did so, and this was one of the reasons The Court was able to ramrod it through to Closure.

The problem with these “Class Actions” is - they meet the requirement for a class-action in terms of *size*, but they get SO big that they become too disorganized to effectively attack the Defendant. So then The Court steps in and just starts looking for every reason to wrap it up and close it out.

And then ... you ... the “little guy” gets next to nothing while the lawyers and a few hand-picked Plaintiffs laugh all the way to the Bank.

These two parties basically use YOU to get what THEY want from the Defendant (i.e.: 11 people isn’t enough for a Class Action Suit). What we (the “little guys”) should try is ... organize 1.6 Million individual lawsuits (or some otherwise very large number), filed simultaneously (in Small Claims Court) across the country, and make sure we’re all on the same page, with the same Complaint, and same Demands. Then we’ll see how The Court handles *that* surge!

But ... as far as this particular Case (Excessive Oil Consumption) ... it ended just like they all do ... “DONE and ORDERED”! (Or whatever that goofy language is the judge stamps on the paper to make it all disappear...)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a 2012 terrain with 2.4l eco engine covered under the TSB oh wait the VIN number is not listed sorry you owe $972.00 for repairs. This despite the dealer stating the cause of the seal going is a freezing or blockage of the PVC system on the vehicle. The blockage occurs in a drain line under the cowling where a tube comes out the cowling and is lower than the drainage line. In order to drain the water and fluids have to go up hill. So the car cools the water that condenses flows into the line but can't drain and causes a blockage and poof out goes the main seal because the engine is over pressurized. Very poor design unless the line in question is lower than cowling. My car exhibited every sign, noise, warning light, stated in the bulletin. But because my car was built in Plant A and only cars built in Plant B are covered by the VIN will only be fixed. The dealer stated the cause was this PVC SYSTEM BLOCKAGE, the TSB describes everything the car exhibits when it ran, the dealer on my receipt states all repairs done under warranty coverage including all parts and labor. The TSB states customer not responsible for cost repairs. Yet I have to pay $972 for repairs to something GMC has acknowledged is a problem to my vehicle. I complained to Chevy via customer service. Told me that my case would be considered in front of a committee that reviews cases to see if Plant A cars should be considered for inclusion of TSB that Plant B cars are in. Gave me a number waited no response, called again gave the run around and gave me another number with the same song and dance. Got a call from GMC want to talk. WE shall see. I'm a life long Chevy customer no satisfaction will look else where and encourage others to do so. Your turn GMC.
I have 2013 Terrain.I I took my truck in after receiving notice from GMC regarding oil consumption I knew i had been loosing oil but couldn't understand why. Turns out My rear seal also went out ($2600+ later) . I was told the cause was the hot and cold temperatures. GM repaired the piston ring seal at no cost to me but i had to pay for my rental. During the rear seal repair they discovered the exhaust manifold needed repair as well I was told it would be another ($500+) That comes to a grand total of over $3000. So I elected to wait on exhaust manifold. When i took my truck back for oil consumption test I was told to repair the exhaust manifold would now only be $250. So i had that repaired as well. When picked my truck up after repairs were complete as i pulled off the lot a bolt fell out. Mind you they had to keep my truck an extra day because they lost a bolt. So they took my truck my back in to make sure everything was working properly. That tool about 45 min. As soon as i thought i was all set I checked the oil gauge it read 67% remaining. I was told it mechanic forgot to reset it and to put the next time oil change sticker in my window. I just have just 2 questions how can i get in on lawsuit and could the oil consumption malfunction have anything to do with rear seal or exhaust manifold malfunctioning?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have 2013 Terrain.I I took my truck in after receiving notice from GMC regarding oil consumption I knew i had been loosing oil but couldn't understand why. Turns out My rear seal also went out ($2600+ later) . I was told the cause was the hot and cold temperatures. GM repaired the piston ring seal at no cost to me but ......
could the oil consumption malfunction have anything to do with rear seal or exhaust manifold malfunctioning?
You already got a free set of replacement piston and rings?
Are you burning oil again? Ask the dealer to do another oil consumption test, you might get another free set of piston and rings...
Oil consumption is not related to rear main seal failure and visa versa..

Did the dealer scam you with rear main seal replacement? When rear main seal failed, it failed catastrophically.....you literally loose quarts of oil in a few minutes....

Oil consumption is caused by the process caused LSPI, where carbon falls of intake valves while deriving at low RPM under load, like driving at under 2000 rpm and up a small incline like an overpass on a highway...
The carbon falls into combustion chamber and gets lodged on the pistons upper compression ring, inbetween piston and cylinder wall
Then this piece of carbon becomes oil and gasoline soaked and ignites the combustion charge... instead of only spark plug igniting the combustion charge.
Igniting the combustion charge in the location of the pistons compression ring results in erosion of the steel of the piston in the area of the piston ring grooves, into which the compression rings snap onto and weakens and wears the piston ring itself.
Thus creating a leak path, from crankcase into cylinder for engine oil.

The oil consumption is worsened since high crankcase pressure from piston blowby, pushes oil into cylinders from crankcase, at the same time as piston is sucking air into cylinder during downstroke. High crankcase pressure is not helped by crappy GM PCV design.

LSPI explanation ....==>
https://www.enginebuildermag.com/2017/10/solving-gasoline-direct-injection-issues-facts-fictions-gdi/

Rear main seal failure is unrelated to oil consumption
Rear main seal failure occurs because. You drove your terrain when it was freezing cold outside,. Your rear main seal will fail again if you drive your terrain when it is freezing cold outside.... hence all the discussions on vented oil caps....

My 2 cents ^^^^

101 - 106 of 106 Posts