GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

41 - 60 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Posted by: Pissed Chevy Owner on 01/29/19

"...Class action lawsuit filed on 9-14-17 in the US District Court, Northern District of California (Case 3:17-cv-05337-JSC Document 1). I called the law offices of Ahdoot & Wolfson in Hollywood, CA at 310-474-9111 just now (on 1-29-19) spoke to the office help who said the case was still pending and that one of the lawyers will call me back..."

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
It’s been a while since I started this thread, but here I am again. My PCV valve froze again causing a domino effect worth $4,500 in damage. I ended up getting a new car. However, I should let you know I did get my money back from the first time it happened.

I called GMC corporate and explained the situation with the frozen PCV valve, and asked why it wasn’t covered by the TSB. They sad it wasn’t on the list. Okay. Then I asked to see the list. This conversation ended up with a “we’ll call you back”. I expected that.

I didn’t expect them to actually do it, but they did! The regional manager called me and I explained the situation again, and stressed how the oil light NEVER came on when it looses enough oil to be dangerous. I also stressed that I wanted to see the list. He said he would get in touch the next morning.

Please keep in mind that I never had an angry tone. Keep it nice and no swearing

The next morning the service manager at the local Chevrolet dealer called and said GM authorized a full refund!

-ALSO- please file a complaint with the NTSB at www.ntsb.gov. They will reach out to you for details. They are mainly looking for any situation that could cause harm or death, If enough people complain, they will force GM to act and it will aid in any lawsuits. Loosing all your oil with no warning or indication on the interstate could definitely cause a safety concern if the engine suddenly drops power and speed!

·
Registered
1 Posts
First Chevy I have ever owned. Never again!!

I purchased my 2013 Equinox just over a year ago. It has always ran low on oil between oil changes and I have had to add oil which I have become accustomed to doing religiously. On the evening of 01/30/2019 as I was driving home, my "low oil pressure - stop engine" light came on. I had the vehicle towed to a shop who said "your engine sounds terrible and we do not do that type of work, your main seal is shot." I had to tow it to another mechanic who stated that the PCV value built up pressure and blew the main seal and I would need a new engine. Remember, I just bought the vehicle, still owe plenty on it so I MUST fix it. I call the local Chevy dealership as suggested by the mechanic who diagnosed it to see if there was any assistance that could be provided for this issue. The stated I would have to get the vehicle to the dealership for them to look at it and they could then contact GM to see if anything could be done. I asked for GM's number myself to see what I could find out. Called GM, gave them my VIN and was told that the expense would be mine to handle as there was nothing that GM would do to assist. I am baffled that this type of stuff happens, its a KNOWN ISSUE GM!!! I will NEVER buy a Chevy again. As my title mentions, this was my first one. I have never had any such thing happen with the 10+ vehicles I have owned throughout my life. This is extremely disappointing...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an almost 3-year-old Bulletin, but it is interesting because - I thought the oil consumption problem was confined to 2010-2011 (and possibly 2012) models. Yet, we see in this Bulletin language that says, "...vehicles that have experienced high oil consumption may also experience a frozen and/or plugged PCV". And it lists 2010-2014 as the affected model years for the Equinox, and 2010-2013 for the Terrain (all with the 2.4L engine). So there is apparently known oil consumption issues with the 2.4L engine beyond 2012 that go to 2013 with the Terrain and 2014 with the Equinox.

But what I don't understand is - if the engine is "consuming oil", isn't that *lessening* the likelihood of a frozen PCV because with less oil there's less moisture, too ... no? Isn't it the moisture from the oil that is causing the PCV to freeze up? I would think if you're burning away the oil - while that's obviously not good for your engine, it's actually *helping* the PCV system by eliminating more of the moisture it would otherwise have to eliminate. Or is an engine that *consumes* oil somehow also generating *more* moisture than it otherwise would? Seems counter-intuitive.

Also, the instructions for the Service Techs look questionable to me. The Bulletin says to "perform a crankcase pressure check" and "clear the PCV orifice if necessary". What if this is being done when the weather is warmer? They won't find a frozen PCV then. And they're not replacing the PCV ... just "clearing" or cleaning it?

And why only ONE model year for the Malibu (2013)? Hasn't the 2.4L engine been in the Malibu prior to that?
Hi...

My 2013 Equinox just blew the rear main seal. 230km on it. I was told bulletin 14882 does not apply to my vehicle VIN. Really!!!! All the oil escaped from my engine. Stalled while driving down the road. Timing chain busted, balance chain busted. The issue is excessive oil usage. The rings on the pistons do not function properly and oil is blown by the pistons into the combustion chamber and burned off. Using too much oil. Also the combustion passes the rings into the crank case causing excessive pressure in the crank case. Carbon in the air in the crank case causes the pcv orface into the intake manifold to plug up. Then on a cold day when the water that has collected in the air intake at the PCV valve freezes there is now where for the air to escape from the crank case and then the weakest point fails. The rear main seal and out goes all your oil. My engine is exactly the same as the one in the Bulletin, however GM fails to come good for it. It is a beautiful vehicle. My wife loves it. So I fixed it myself. New chains and guides. No other damage to anything. Lucky me. I have to find something to stop the oil from blowing by the piston rings. Maybe an oil treatment.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Hi...

My 2013 Equinox just blew the rear main seal. 230km on it. I was told bulletin 14882 does not apply to my vehicle VIN. Really!!!! All the oil escaped from my engine. Stalled while driving down the road. Timing chain busted, balance chain busted. The issue is excessive oil usage. The rings on the pistons do not function properly and oil is blown by the pistons into the combustion chamber and burned off. Using too much oil. Also the combustion passes the rings into the crank case causing excessive pressure in the crank case. Carbon in the air in the crank case causes the pcv orface into the intake manifold to plug up. Then on a cold day when the water that has collected in the air intake at the PCV valve freezes there is now where for the air to escape from the crank case and then the weakest point fails. The rear main seal and out goes all your oil. My engine is exactly the same as the one in the Bulletin, however GM fails to come good for it. It is a beautiful vehicle. My wife loves it. So I fixed it myself. New chains and guides. No other damage to anything. Lucky me. I have to find something to stop the oil from blowing by the piston rings. Maybe an oil treatment.
If your wife love it. . . consider swapping the whole engine with a newer used one maybe 2014 or 2015. Then equip it with a pressure relief oil filler cap to fend off a potential PCV clog or freeze in cold weather.

Reactions: bigb12359

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also had this same issue with my 2012 equinox with just over 86,000 miles a month ago. I spent a week with GM trying to get them to cover this under there service bulletin 14882. The Dealership was shocked that they wouldn't cover the cost and they also contacted there district manager who also wouldn't agree.. I spoke with several dealers and every one of them said they are getting a ton of these vehicles in but GM continues to tell them that those specific vin numbers were not part of the bulletin. I spent just under 1900 and was told by the service manager that the part in question isn't redesigned and he said this issue could happen again. I respect the dealer for being honest but GM needs to stand behind there product. I plan to file a complaint with my state attorney general and I plan to file a small claims case to try and get my money back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
PVC failure 2011 Chevy Equinox

I have a 2011 chevy equinox with a failed pvc failure
chevy said it is not covered by my vin because it came from another factory it is the same engine

·
Registered
3 Posts
PVC failure 2011 Chevy Equinox

I have a 2011 chevy equinox with a failed pvc failure
chevy said it is not covered by my vin because it came from another factory it is the same engine

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just happened to my daughter's 2013 Terrain with 80,000 miles. She said the car started rocking while stopped with foot on brake, engine was gravelly-sounding then finally check engine, reduced engine power and stabilitrack lights all came on at once - never the low oil light, of course, even though she had next to none in the car. She drove a mile to the dealership. Rear main seal and actuator - $3400. Nope, GM won't cover it. I'm getting ready to email and call various people but am ready to "bend over and take it up the tailpipe". I was already resigned to this outcome (hopefully temporary pending the class action) since I researched the issue before it was even diagnosed by the dealership, but it still sucks. I really don't think any automotive companies are ethical. I had a similar issue with my Porsche Boxster transmission, so it isn't just GM.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Just happened to my daughter's 2013 Terrain with 80,000 miles. She said the car started rocking while stopped with foot on brake, engine was gravelly-sounding then finally check engine, reduced engine power and stabilitrack lights all came on at once - never the low oil light, of course, even though she had next to none in the car. She drove a mile to the dealership. Rear main seal and actuator - $3400. Nope, GM won't cover it. I'm getting ready to email and call various people but am ready to "bend over and take it up the tailpipe". I was already resigned to this outcome (hopefully temporary pending the class action) since I researched the issue before it was even diagnosed by the dealership, but it still sucks. I really don't think any automotive companies are ethical. I had a similar issue with my Porsche Boxster transmission, so it isn't just GM.

I believe you are right about all automotive companies having issues with some sort of engineering shortfall.
Unfortunate that you did not come here sooner. There is a chance that your issue might have been circumvented by installing a vented oil filler cap or modifying one with a simple pressure relief valve. It would only been needed in cold weather winter months.

Regular cleaning of the PCV orifice is another suggested remedy.
Should these things be necessary? No. . . But they would prevent spending $$$$ of these.

Reactions: bigb12359

·
Registered
1 Posts
2015 EQUINOX Blocked PCV Valve

It looks like the problem has affected the 2015 model. We just purchased a 2015 FWD 4 cyl, 6 speed Equinox with 54k miles from a dealer in a neighboring state. While having it PA state inspected, we requested our mechanic to go over it with a fine tooth comb due to having a bumper to bumper warranty for a year. Being a Chevy guy, he found the common problem in our 2015. Luckily we can have it repaired with minimal cost before it blew. Very poor engineering and Chevy's notorious lack of responsibility for this problem. We decided to have our mechanic fix the problem on our dime instead of an unknown mechanic at a dealership "fixing" the problem.
My point is this problem exceeds the 2014 recall. Sad they haven't added this year yet, but they should.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2013 Chevrolet Equinox

Hi,

I believe I am having the same issue. My vehicle has been running low on oil for the last 4-5 months with no explanation why. On Thursday I was driving to work and my vehicle started dragging a little. Then I got to a stop light where it started bucking and getting ready to stall. So I pulled to a different lane and kept driving until I found a store where I could buy oil. Before I got to the stop light I heard a ticking noise and then the car got really loud. I could smell oil. I added a quart and drove to work. It had trouble starting then the 2nd time it worked. I got in the parking garage at work and it started getting really loud like metal on metal. I parked and later checked the oil it didn't register on the stick. At work we added 2.5 more quarts then it started fine. At the end of the day I backed out and noticed it lost a ton of oil. I took a picture and then drove home. At home it continued to leak. Seems to be the rear main seal. There were no leaks prior to this. However the weather had been freezing as many had stated. It was 9 degrees when I left that morning and it had been below freezing all week. How do I find out if my VIN is covered? Does anyone have a list?

Thank you,

Chris

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a 2013 equinox with the same issues, and was given the same terrible run around..If you have not already, I am willing to go thru with a lawsuit

·
Registered
1 Posts
So is there a way to find out what VIN's are included ?? I did get a notice in mail a few years ago about it so does that mean its included??

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
If you have this type of PCV Orifice on your 2.4, then this what you should do. Remove it, drill the holes bigger , clean it out and re install it. This thing with those small holes cause all sorts of problems. It is also called the PCV Mod for the Lambda vehicles, and Camaros.

https://www.gmpartsstore.com/oem-parts/gm-pcv-valve-12583384?origin=pla&gclid=CjwKCAiAiJPkBRAuEiwAEDXZZTUY-8l-FoslDLyx4dKJcnM7f7RIvfIXLjcbhtklwp7lSTA6RHZnRRoCUFgQAvD_BwE

I do not believe that is a part for the 2.4L engine. The "drill" hole fix was for the earlier 3.6L V6.
The 2.4L really only has a small, internal PCV orifice that is an integral part of the intake manifold and not easy to get at. There is a TSB where they tell a tech to "clear out" the debris if any in the orifice with a drill bit, but not really drill it out. Either way, it would need to be cleaned regularly and that would not prevent moisture in the winter from freezing it shut.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Looks like we have conflicting information here.
Click on the link in post #53 and scroll down to "Vehicle Fitment"
This web page says it will fit the 2.4L

41 - 60 of 106 Posts