GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

21 - 40 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
As the owner of a 2014 Equinox with this PCV/Main Rear Seal issue. I could not be more unhappy with the response that I have received from my local dealer. Ironically enough, I got my oil changed on 12/28/2017 and my car was fine. On my way home from work on 12/29/2017, the engine started making a weird noise and no sooner the oil pressure and turn off engine light came on. I immediately pulled into the gas station and turned off my vehicle. I had it towed to the Chevy dealership and they gave me a loaner and told me about the Special Coverage Adjustment and Service Alert. However, now they are saying that my engine won't start and I have to pay them $375.00 just to run a compression test! They also said that they definitely see that the seal is broken but that there has to be another issue because the engine won't start so it's more than likely not covered! I call BS on this! My attorney will be in contact...rest assure.
Have you had any additional luck with your Equinox and your dealings with Chevy? The reason I ask is... I have a 2013 Equinox and had this same situation happen to me on Tuesday night 2/6/18. I had it towed to my mechanic and he educated me on the issues the Chevy Equinox were having. He told me about this website. Due to the fact that my Rear Main Seal blew off. All the oil in my car drained out (luckily) shortly before I got back to my house. After I arrived home, I went in the house, came back out and my Car would not start. My engine is "Shot". Looking for some possible answers and or some direction. Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know where to get a copy of the GM bulletin 14882? I lost an engine due to this oil issue while driving on the expressway and now facing a $6500 replacement cost. Of course the dealer is of no help at all. I'm now in the process of contacting an attorney.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2012 terrain rear main seal $972 later

I own a 2012 terrain with 2.4l eco engine covered under the TSB oh wait the VIN number is not listed sorry you owe $972.00 for repairs. This despite the dealer stating the cause of the seal going is a freezing or blockage of the PVC system on the vehicle. The blockage occurs in a drain line under the cowling where a tube comes out the cowling and is lower than the drainage line. In order to drain the water and fluids have to go up hill. So the car cools the water that condenses flows into the line but can't drain and causes a blockage and poof out goes the main seal because the engine is over pressurized. Very poor design unless the line in question is lower than cowling. My car exhibited every sign, noise, warning light, stated in the bulletin. But because my car was built in Plant A and only cars built in Plant B are covered by the VIN will only be fixed. The dealer stated the cause was this PVC SYSTEM BLOCKAGE, the TSB describes everything the car exhibits when it ran, the dealer on my receipt states all repairs done under warranty coverage including all parts and labor. The TSB states customer not responsible for cost repairs. Yet I have to pay $972 for repairs to something GMC has acknowledged is a problem to my vehicle. I complained to Chevy via customer service. Told me that my case would be considered in front of a committee that reviews cases to see if Plant A cars should be considered for inclusion of TSB that Plant B cars are in. Gave me a number waited no response, called again gave the run around and gave me another number with the same song and dance. Got a call from GMC want to talk. WE shall see. I'm a life long Chevy customer no satisfaction will look else where and encourage others to do so. Your turn GMC.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well I contacted the GMC service center escalation dept. Because my vehicles VIN is not listed under the recall they will not reimburse me for the $972. But she told me once the case is closed that it may be looked at by the engineering dept. for review to see if it should be included. If so then a notice would be sent and I could file for my costs. Two dealers even advocated for my case to be reviewed but to no avail. As usual no one is listening to the little guy, the people that pay the salaries of the automakers. Maybe would should protest like the students in Florida over gun control measures but recall notices and proper measures when dealing with something like this..........................

·
Registered
1 Posts
chevylemon

ever since I had the fuel pump replaced at 39k miles. I have serious oil consumption problems...oil not coming out the exhaust or on the ground. So it is
invecting the motor. I am constantly putting oil in. Had oil change drove the car and within a few hundred miles it was empty. the transmission and ac went out had to be towed in. 2010 for 2 years the yellow engine light has been on. The engine rattles. It has major repair work done by dealer. Had to be towed in a second time for same problem. Timing chain replace, sensors replaced and so much more.Open up the hood and oil is everywhere. Now needs new engine at $8200. ugh my car is paid off....too many problems with this car.

·
Registered
9,973 Posts
ever since I had the fuel pump replaced at 39k miles. I have serious oil consumption problems...oil not coming out the exhaust or on the ground. So it is
invecting the motor. I am constantly putting oil in. Had oil change drove the car and within a few hundred miles it was empty. the transmission and ac went out had to be towed in. 2010 for 2 years the yellow engine light has been on. The engine rattles. It has major repair work done by dealer. Had to be towed in a second time for same problem. Timing chain replace, sensors replaced and so much more.Open up the hood and oil is everywhere. Now needs new engine at $8200. ugh my car is paid off....too many problems with this car.
Bring your vehicle back to the dealer, and tell them about your oil consumption issue, and they should run a oil consumption test on your car, and you will likely end up with a repaired engine - for free !

·
Registered
2 Posts
funny 7 degree night in my driveway, my wife started the car and got the - stabilitrac warning, low engine power warning. In driveway now I have a huge puddle of oil. Towed it to my mechanic who said I had a main seal failure caused by the PCV valve failure EXACTLY as outlined in service bulletin 14882. Like you, I called Dealer - who basically told me to go f---myself as the Vin is not part of it. Told me to tow it - they would diagnose it, but if same as my shop diagnosed, I am **** out of luck! I find the reaction extraordinary, and not customer service friendly

·
Registered
1 Posts
2012 PCV seal- GM will not help- Class Action

I just spent 3K on my 2012 Equinox due to the PCV seal failure. I spent 4 hours on the phone with four different CS reps/ managers at GM. Not one person gave me a good reason why all 2010-2014 Equinox 2.4L ECO engines affected, not just a select number of VIN #, are covered by service bulletin # 14882. I received the WORST customer service, everyone was reading from a script sticking to their talking points. Absolutely no help at all.

Due to the large number of people who have experienced the same issue/ treatment I'm not going to let this go. Is anyone interested in a class action to work together and get this resolved? Has anyone been successful dealing with this issue with GM?

Thank you!

Lynn

·
Registered
958 Posts
lynnmm---Good Luck. GM has the worst Customer Care/Service that I have ever encountered. You're right, everything is scripted and they have no latitude to even think beyond that script. From my experience dealing with them, GM corporation would be better served by eliminating ALL those positions and reduce the MSRP for vehicles by $10K each. They're pissing away dollars by keeping the CS folks employed!

·
Registered
1 Posts
2014 equinox plugged pcv orifice causing rear seal oil leak

Mine blew on 1-25-19. Been getting the runaround since from the dealer and GM Customer Service. In researching legal remedies I came across a class action lawsuit filed on 9-14-17 in the US District Court, Northern District of California (Case 3:17-cv-05337-JSC Document 1). I called the law offices of Ahdoot & Wolfson in Hollywood, CA at 310-474-9111 just now (on 1-29-19) spoke to the office help who said the case was still pending and that one of the lawyers will call me back. I would suggest that everyone start calling them because I found another class action lawsuit at ClassAction.org that was filed in Dec. of 2017 but was no longer being pursued due to not enough plaintiffs. I found the first mentioned suit at Gotaclassaction.com. If you scroll down to the Complaint link and tap on it it will take you to the actual lawsuit which includes a number of plaintiff's accounts of what happened to their Equinoxes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
14882 trouble!!!

I have a 2013 and the same thing has happened to me. I meet the year requirement and mileage requirements but am being told they will not be able to cover it because it wasn't built at one of the plants involved in the #14882 Special Coverage Adjustment. Has anyone been able to get anywhere with GM or their dealer?

·
Registered
1 Posts
We experienced this issue on the way to an appointment, in freezing weather. As we approached a red light the engine was making noises, my husband pulled over right away and checked the oil to find there was no oil on the dip stick at all. We had 3 quarts of oil so we put them in to show oil on the dip stick. Only to see oil running out of our car. So after only owning the 2013 Chevy Equinox for 8 days, we're left on the side of the road. Our mechanic, show us this Special Coverage Adjustment #14882, that will cover this same problem, which Chevy knows about. We have a 2013 Chevrolet Equinox with a LEA engine, but our VIN isn't covered. Which ones are covered? Chevy what's the deal? VERY UNHAPPY WITH CHEVROLET SERVICE!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Equinox owners, fellow 2.4L Ecotec engine owner here (however in a 2012 Terrain). I hope you don't mind me joining the extreme oil consumption party. My 2012 GMC Terrain suffered increase crankcase pressure which lead to the rear crankshaft seal oil leak. We went through nearly an entire tank of oil in 2,000 miles as a result. I was hopeful when I found Bulletin 14882 online but to my surprise (and the GMC's Dealer's) our VIN is not tied to the bulletin. I've gone back and forth with GM HQ and the GMC dealership we are working with (Faulkner Buick GMC in West Chester, PA) but I'm still going to be out of pocket for the repair. The dealership even made an official "GM Goodwill Repair" request with GM HQ given that the repair needed exactly matched 14882, but it was denied by HQ (the dealership gave me a copy of the paperwork on the request). I really get the sense dealerships are aware of this problem, but their hands are tied.

At this point I can only hope this becomes an actual recall and I will be able to be reimbursed in the future, but until then I've lost a lot of faith in GM.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2011 Terrain - frozen pcv - meets all requirements under 14882, - just that my VIN isn't on the list.
Car is currently at shop now. I called GMC and the dealer called twice. The person I spoke with was blunt, direct, and unwavering. Told me I could talk to as many phone reps and supervisors as I wanted but the answer wasn't going to change. I ask to have my call reviewed and to be contacted by a supervisor. A faulty design on their part, but covering only VINs made in certain locations. I said location and part # have no bearing on the issue since it was faulty design not making sure the pcv could properly drain.
$2300 cost, dealer is giving me a $400 break so $1900 out of pocket. Not right.

21 - 40 of 106 Posts