GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2012/01/ces-2012-ford-sync-app-link.html

As General Motors introduced its first efforts to bring apps from your smartphone into your dashboard at the 2012 Consumer Electronics Show, Ford expanded its Sync AppLink system -- which does just that and launched about a year ago.

When AppLink made its debut, Pandora was the only app a Sync user could operate via in-dash touch screen. Later, Stitcher radio gained Sync compatibility, which includes voice control as well.

Ford announced at CES in Las Vegas this week that apps for iPhones, BlackBerrys and phones that Google's Android would be added to the AppLink-friendly list, including NPR News, Slacker Radio, iHeartRadio, TuneIn Radio and Ford's own Sync Destinations turn-by-turn navigation app.

To see NPR News and Slacker Radio in action in a new Ford Mustang GT, check out our video from CES above.

Ford says that more apps that work with Sync's voice recogniton software are on the way. Oddly enough, Sync (which was developed through a partnership between Ford and Microsoft) has no AppLink compatibility with Windows Phone apps.

Just as with GM's in-car-app systems -- Chevrolet MyLink and Cadillac CUE -- AppLink can use apps only if it’s connected to a smartphone with the app installed, and it accesses data through the phone. Ford isn't selling any AppLink data plans.

For now, AppLink is available only in Sync-equipped Fiestas, Mustangs, Fusions, F-150s and Econoline vans, but the U.S. automaker is considering pushing AppLink out to other Ford brands, such as Lincoln, as well as to vehicles running older versions of Sync.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Let's talk only about the NAV option, another $795 option. Funny thing is, you can find Nav included in cars that cost much less than the Terrain/Nox (read Hyundai).

I know that $795 is much lower than it used to be, but considering that the 2012 model already have the big touch screen, adding GPS should not cost that much.

I'll keep my $169 TomTom, it's the best and it's even voice activated.

As for Apps, Sync is far more advanced (in everything) that what GM offers right now. But, I still prefer the Terrain over the future Ford Escape....

·
Registered
249 Posts
Sync is better than what GM has to offer, but not by a lot. With OnStar opening to 3rd party developers, we should see some new and improved features. On another hand, I was considering a Ford Edge, because of MyTouch, but after testing it, and reading some reviews, I didn't want to spend all that extra cash and higher interest rate Ford had to offer.
Using my iPhone 4S, I am already able to do most of the things listed in the above post, ex Pandora, TuneIn Radio. Hell, I can tell SIRI "I'm hungry" and she'll find and navigate me to a near by restaurant, just not in Canada yet. Obviously, there is a need for data to get to your car, for all these cool features to work in a vehicle, even if they were factory installed, so you'll need an active smartphone regardless. My only beef is with the high price of OnStar; I wish they would offer an app only plan.
AMG Eric, does your 2010 Nox support the Remote Link app?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CFRTim said:
Sync is better than what GM has to offer, but not by a lot. With OnStar opening to 3rd party developers, we should see some new and improved features. On another hand, I was considering a Ford Edge, because of MyTouch, but after testing it, and reading some reviews, I didn't want to spend all that extra cash and higher interest rate Ford had to offer.
Using my iPhone 4S, I am already able to do most of the things listed in the above post, ex Pandora, TuneIn Radio. Hell, I can tell SIRI "I'm hungry" and she'll find and navigate me to a near by restaurant, just not in Canada yet. Obviously, there is a need for data to get to your car, for all these cool features to work in a vehicle, even if they were factory installed, so you'll need an active smartphone regardless. My only beef is with the high price of OnStar; I wish they would offer an app only plan.
AMG Eric, does your 2010 Nox support the Remote Link app?
nope my 2010 wont even see a tethered android phone but the 2011 does. i drove a crappy ford focus and the bluetooth streaming worked flawlessly once i learned how to use it. i dont use pandora but i bet it would have streamed via bluetooth.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts