1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Yes there was a stop on these vehicles but Again here is the rest of the story that someone likes to leave out.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/03/29/chevy-silverado-tahoe-suburban-cruze-gmc-sierra-yukon-recall/

We had heard previously from GM that it had issued a stop-sale on Chevy Cruze models equipped with the 1.4-liter turbocharged engine, and now there's an apparent recall to match that stop-sale against. A total of 172,000 cars from the 2013 and 2014 model years will be recalled to replace half shafts that could fracture while driving. Several dozen shafts have separated, according to GM, but there have been no crashes or injuries associated with those failures. The stop-sale has since been lifted, meaning compact car shoppers can add the Cruze back to their potential test-drive lists, should they so desire. Of those Cruze models covered under this new safety campaign, some 2,500 examples are actually re-recalled models, that is, vehicles that were previously recalled and repaired with suspect halfshafts.

The new recalls are being seen by some as GM working to clear its slate of recall-related items ahead of next week's government hearings on the automaker's massive ignition-switch issue. GM spokesman Alan Adler tells Autoblog, "As Mary Barra said, customers are our compass and we have redoubled our efforts to ensure their confidence and peace of mind."

The key here is full disclosure when reporting a story as it can be a little more informative than the half truth.

No lies, no excuses, no miss information is the best way and It is not even a mystery anymore. Funny how some that accuse GM of not giving full disclosure are so good at it themselves. Not an excuse just an observation.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The "story" here is how all this stuff is coming out *right before* Mary "Capy" Barra goes to the principal's office.

I can't wait to hear what Mary has to say on Tuesday ...

"Mary - have you seen better days?

And will you find different ways?"

·
Registered
2,346 Posts

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
hyperv6 said:
Unfortunately I don't think it's going to stop there.
GM has a few month old already restriction on the new power heated sliding rear windows in the new truck line and has followed with restrictions on the new sunroof and the telescopic tilting steering wheel in the new trucks.
Hubby has been holding off on ordering one for himself as our dealer has had a few trucks come back on tow trucks as the trucks won't start. And it's only on the trucks (so far) that have the telescopic steering wheel.

So the ignition saga continues.....

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
POLRCUB II said:
Unfortunately I don't think it's going to stop there.
GM has a few month old already restriction on the new power heated sliding rear windows in the new truck line and has followed with restrictions on the new sunroof and the telescopic tilting steering wheel in the new trucks.
Hubby has been holding off on ordering one for himself as our dealer has had a few trucks come back on tow trucks as the trucks won't start. And it's only on the trucks (so far) that have the telescopic steering wheel.

So the ignition saga continues.....
GM will be under a microscope for a while just as Toyota was for a while last year.

Many of these issues are issues that normally come up and never make the media for most companies but the press will report any and all issues and even TSB.. This is why we have had a rash of recalls before the Washington meeting to as one story said to clear the slate before testify.

Also GM will recall any and all things that could be reported. It will be a sensitive time till the Media moves on.

Then you have the public that most will care less and some will over react to this not really comprehending the true nature of many of these recalls or holds. Finally why we will have the trolls and the haters that will pounce on anything for what ever personal pleasure they find.

In the end it will pass but GM will go through what others that have been in a similar situation. It may last a little longer just due to the medias love to stir the pot post bail out.

The key is to keep this in perspective and since some have no idea or concept of what is normal for an automaker and what is not some will over reacts to some of these issues that go unreported normally. If you look at the true numbers of most of these issues they are less then a .5% of one percent of all vehicles involved.

The bottom line is it is not good but it is not the end of the world.

Just in the future look for GM to be more reactive and more proactive in dealing with these issues as they will have a new way of dealing with these issues as it has needed fixed for a long time. Like I tell our friend you need to look at the whole story to get where this is going. Right now the GM story attracts attention on the web and in the media so they will continue to cover it till the public losses interest.

I can go on Mitchells and pull up hundreds and thousands of TSB and Recalls on nearly any model. Many of the TSB'a remain unreported unless the owner brings the vehicle in with the complaint or need for modification. It is just how the industry works and with cars being more complicated anymore we see many more with this.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hyperV6:

It's a good thing good thing you're not a spokesman for GM.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
If I may ask - what's the purpose of this thread in a Theta forum? I believe everyone knows all manufacturers have different issues and recalls?

Colt Hero, I don't mean to call you out, but it seems you despise GM? Are you/your wife really unhappy with the 'Nox? Admittingly, I've only seen a relatively few posts from you (and you've been around here much longer than I), but it seems lots of your posts are against GM, the dealerships service, and the features/design of your 'Nox? (Or what it doesn't have?)
As you can imagine, owners of Theta vehicles in this forum don't like to see the constant bashing on GM (especially on other vehicles that are not applicable to the Theta?). The info in the first post would be good in a Cobalt/HHR/whatever forum, but seems out of place here?

If it's not applicable to the Theta, Colt Hero & hypderV6, can we let this thread die? :shrug:

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Meh, other than that this should have arguably been in the 'off topic' section idk what the big deal is. Government motors is having a rough couple weeks and I don't thing we are out of the recall woods just yet. I wouldn't be surprised to hear of a theta recall. Clearly members of this forum are interested in discussing these points plus or minus.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Yes indeed... should have been posted in the 'Off Topic' sec. - then all would be well.

Perhaps a Moderator could move this thread over... hint hint Bowtieman ;) :thumb:

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Chas said:
If I may ask - what's the purpose of this thread in a Theta forum? I believe everyone knows all manufacturers have different issues and recalls?

Colt Hero, I don't mean to call you out, but it seems you despise GM? Are you/your wife really unhappy with the 'Nox? Admittingly, I've only seen a relatively few posts from you (and you've been around here much longer than I), but it seems lots of your posts are against GM, the dealerships service, and the features/design of your 'Nox? (Or what it doesn't have?)
As you can imagine, owners of Theta vehicles in this forum don't like to see the constant bashing on GM (especially on other vehicles that are not applicable to the Theta?). The info in the first post would be good in a Cobalt/HHR/whatever forum, but seems out of place here?

If it's not applicable to the Theta, Colt Hero & hypderV6, can we let this thread die? :shrug:
I was in a round of whack a Troll,,,, I mean Colt.

Your observations of him are not wrong and you should call him out. He is nothing but negative here. If GM is so bad then why is he even here?

He posted this thread and did not give full disclosure as the usual and I just was completing the info. I think he started this one as he took a good beating in another thread when he would not answer what he wanted from GM over the recall for all his contempt.

They can stick this one where ever they like as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
9,970 Posts
hyperv6 said:
I was in a round of whack a Troll,,,, I mean Colt.

Your observations of him are not wrong and you should call him out. He is nothing but negative here. If GM is so bad then why is he even here?

He posted this thread and did not give full disclosure as the usual and I just was completing the info. I think he started this one as he took a good beating in another thread when he would not answer what he wanted from GM over the recall for all his contempt.

They can stick this one where ever they like as far as I am concerned.
Someone should look up his posts on the Dodge Colt Forum - or was it a Desoto ! LOL

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Chas said:

No offense, but what's wrong with the placement of this thread? I scanned down the home page for a sub-forum with recalls, and this was the only one I saw: "FAQs, Links, and Recalls" (for Theta platform). Seemed like a logical place to put it. And again, no offense, but why would you want to bury important information like "recalls" under "Off Topic"? There should be a clear and obvious sub-forum right up front just for recall information, so that visitors can have quick access to it. It looked to me like this was it!

As to whether I "despise" GM, the short answer is "no". Plenty of GM vehicles in my immediate family. The last two vehicles I've purchased: '02 Impala and '11 Nox, my father's '86 Celebrity, '93 Olds Cutlass Ciera, '03 Impala, '05 Malibu, and currently '11 Impala, brother's '97 Lumina, '97 Saturn SC??, '05-06 (?) Ion, and currently two Malibus ('09 and '11) ... all bought new. Sisters are another story. No GM whatsoever with the younger one (husband influence). That's European and Japanese there. Older sister has had mostly used, American cars (some GM in there).

So, no - I don't "despise" GM. But I *do* think if what comes out of the hearings is that GM knew about these defective ignitions and did nothing about them (for years), then they should be punished the same way a pharmaceutical would be by the FDA if there were similar violations that put the general public at risk: back-breaking fines, and a forced Plant shut down until such time that the company could prove that they had changed the business processes sufficiently to prevent a recurrence.

Is the wife unhappy with the 'Nox? Not that I know of. To her, as long as it's safe and reliable (and somewhat stylish), that's good enough. For me, I'm a little more critical (as you all know by now). On occasion, I "have* criticized the Nox, calling it a 'tank' (because it's too heavy for its utility), or calling it a 4+ seater (because that's what it is). Some people here don't agree with my comments and immediately jump down my throat with replies filled with condescending tone (and worse).

It only happens here, by the way. I think it has something to do with protecting one's investment, but that's just a guess...

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
True.

I'd suggest making "Recalls" it's own sub-forum because of its importance (break it out from the FAQ's and Links). Then, inside this forum, at the top-level, place all the Theta recalls.

Finally, add a child forum for Recalls of other makes (which is where my post would go).

This way, you've got all the recall information under one tree structure.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Colt Hero, I'd agree with the importance of Recalls being easy to find, but you also said "True" there's no recalls for the Thetas now? So breaking this "Recalls" into its own branch would leave an empty place?

As for recalls for the other vehicles, why should they be a child forum of the Theta Recalls? I have yet to see a recall of another platform be directly linked to the Thetas? It'd make more sense to me to put this child forum Recalls of other vehicles under "Off Topic" as the description below this "Off Topic" states, "Interested in talking about something other than the Thetas?"
I think you're suggesting other platform recalls are related to the Thetas because they have the same manufacturer. But the Tier 1 and Tier 2 suppliers for GM also supply to Ford/Toyota/others. With that similar logic, should any Ford Escape recalls be under this child forum too??

Nah, I disagree. Keep the Theta forum tree for info relative only to the Thetas. For an example - this thread at the beginning doesn't seem to pass on any useful information for Theta owners concerned with their Thetas??

I'll agree with POLRCUB II:
POLRCUB II said:
Yes indeed... should have been posted in the 'Off Topic' sec. - then all would be well.

Perhaps a Moderator could move this thread over... hint hint Bowtieman ;) :thumb:
And in short, I don't see any need to restructure this forum yet. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Generally most Forums I am on have a TSB thread that is a sticky and either in it or with it they may have a recall thread sticky.

These are very good and useful to the owners as they can often self diagnose an issue or know the needed fix for their car or vehicle.

The TSB one is the best as it covers nearly everything big and small and often is the greatest help.

I would recommend checking this one out. GM MGR Lurks here too and is a big help with information. http://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=23231

As for this thread this all started in another thread and Colt was just trying to stick it to me. He would only post part of the story of the recall and I just finished with the full story that he did not like. I have nothing against part of the story but there is more to it and he left out a lot like in this thread where the axles issues was resolved even before he posted this. I could see someone no aware freaking out without the full story and causing themselves more grief than necessary.

Colt I am fine with you opinion but like others here we would like to hear something positive out of you from time to time. As it is seldom do you have anything positive to add and we have enough trolls without one in house. I am not a GM shrill as I agree with some of what you post. I would be the first to say GM F'd up but I also know that there is no need to over react here just because the media is feeding a public panic frenzy here.

I have seen much worse cases than this at GM and other MFG. We will see it again. The truth is this is a mess and it will be cleaned up and all parties will settle. In a few months no one will remember much here and from what I can see GM will be better off because they have cleaned up their system that was at fault here on defects. We should see this handled much better than in many cases than most other companies. Failure often brings drastic change and many times for the better. If this had no happened it may have taken another 5 years to address this. GM still has a lot of issues to resolve.

Like I said read the Bob Lutz book as it give a little inside look at the me GM was internally and just what he did to start the changes that are continuing today.

Any way a TSB thread sticky is something that would be a great addition here if you can keep it updated. I know the HHR guys love theirs and it is the best one I have seen. Even the dealers love it as they do not have to search for information when the customer brings it in. This is another area GM needs to clean up is the tech help to the dealers. It was a mess a couple years ago. I do not know if things have improved or not but my dealer is very good and had issues with my turbo up grade. I was lucky as I have learned how the GM e mail system works and was able to contact the engineer that designed the kit. He called me 10 min after my e mail and sent me all the info I needed to fix the issue and even said it was ok for the tech at the dealer to contact him if needed. While GM has had some flawed system they still have a lot of good people that the new systems are setting free to do what they need and what is right.

GM is kind of like our government and one election will not clean up the mess and culture. These things take time.

By the way I have found this thread and it would be great if we could get the info to update it http://www.terrainforum.net/index.php?topic=1151.0

1 - 20 of 22 Posts