GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 08 equinox from my local dealer 3 weeks ago and wanted to trade it in for something else and they wanted to give me less than what I paid for it. My understanding is that they will give you exactly what you paid for it as long as there is no damage and you did not put more that 1500 km on it. Well I have been having lots of problems with mine and wanted to get rid of it and they know of all the problems I was having with it and they don't want it back. They want to make another apraisal on it and not give me what I paid for it. I also way over paid for it. Never again will I buy a used vehicle from gm again. I even asked to buy a brand new one but still wanted to rip me off.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
"Trading in" new or used is never going to be in favor of the buyer. Also, unless you have this "understanding" in writing I'm not sure there is much you can do besides call it t a lesson learned and avoid this dealership in the future.

·
Premium Member
931 Posts
Never heard of a GM 'exchange privilage'...wasn't that Chrysler's promotion?
If you overpaid...how is that GMs fault?
I would think that your '08 would be appraised as a used car...and the offer set at '08 Equinox trade-in value depending on condition no matter what they sold it to you for three weeks ago. Anyone buying a used car can run into problems. I am assuming that 'lemon' laws only pertain to buying new...but maybe you need to check into that. Otherwise..unfortunately sounds like you own a used car where problems must be fixed...sold on...or traded-in on a new one at regular used value.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gmiemigrad. This is exactly what I'm talking about. I was told about that and was going to just trade it in for something else. My understanding of it is that if there is no damage and did not exceed the millage that I would get what I paid for this vehicle in exchange for another one. That is not the case. They want to do another apraisal on it. I know that I did pay a little too much for my equinox but I thought I would get great service because it is a big gm dealership and not a small private dealer. Boy was I wrong. Yes it is a gm optimum certified vehicle. The main reason they don't want to trade it in I think is because every other day I would either call them or go over there to show them all of the problems I keep finding with this thing. They know now it is a bad vehicle and don't want it back. I'm not working now but was going to buy a brand new one just to get rid of it and that is a no go. It is supposed to go in tomorrow to get looked at and try to fix some of the problems it has but I can tell that this thing was realy beat up and don't want it. I guess I should have looked it over a little more and I will never deal with this dealership again.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Unfortunately I primarily specialize in working with customers in the US. However, I would recommend contacting GM of Canada at 800-263-3777. The hours of operation are M-F 7:30am - 11:30pm, Sat 7:30am - 6:00 EST. I hope this helps. Feel free to keep me posted. Thank you.

Tricia, GM Customer Service.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Since you got everything in writing I see no problem. Oh you have nothing in writing. Looks like you just learned a lesson. Plus you NEVER over pay for a vehicle no matter who it is.

gates59 said:
gmiemigrad. This is exactly what I'm talking about. I was told about that and was going to just trade it in for something else. My understanding of it is that if there is no damage and did not exceed the millage that I would get what I paid for this vehicle in exchange for another one. That is not the case. They want to do another apraisal on it. I know that I did pay a little too much for my equinox but I thought I would get great service because it is a big gm dealership and not a small private dealer. Boy was I wrong. Yes it is a gm optimum certified vehicle. The main reason they don't want to trade it in I think is because every other day I would either call them or go over there to show them all of the problems I keep finding with this thing. They know now it is a bad vehicle and don't want it back. I'm not working now but was going to buy a brand new one just to get rid of it and that is a no go. It is supposed to go in tomorrow to get looked at and try to fix some of the problems it has but I can tell that this thing was realy beat up and don't want it. I guess I should have looked it over a little more and I will never deal with this dealership again.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The manager himself told me on the first day when I went there thinking about trading it in that I would not loose any money on my equinox. Somehow things changed. Ah well like others have said lesson learned. They will get bad reviews from me. Too bad that gm closed all the good dealers around here.

·
Banned
43 Posts
gates59 said:
Never again will I buy a used vehicle from gm again.
Uh.... you didn't buy the vehicle from GM, you bought it from an independent dealer.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Didn't you look over the vehicle before you bought it?
I don't think this vehicle would go to crap in just three weeks
Isn't it still under warranty if its a certified vehicle? If it is and your not working, you have plenty of time to sit at the dealers till it's fixed...

·
Registered
239 Posts
If the Vehicle was Optimum certified then you should have 30 days or 2500Km to make your exchange.
http://www.gmoptimum.com/en/advantage/exchange-privilege

You must exchande an Optimum vehicle for another Optimum vehicle.
If you want to exchange for a new vehicle or a non-optimum used vehicle then you are starting from a fresh trade apraisal.
If the vehicle you bought wasn't certified through GM Canada's Optimum program for some reason then you are starting from a fresh trade apraisal.

If you don't have anything in writing that says that the vehicle you bought is indeed part of the Optimum program then there is every chance that the dealer misled you at the time of sale, not every used vehicle that an Optimum dealer sells has to be sold in the Optimum program(with associated fees paid to GM), used cars can still be sold as 'buyer beware' used cars but it is the resposibility of the dealer to clearly comunicate that difference at the time of sale.

A call to GM Canada's customer service line should be able to help you shine some light on what's going on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GMCdriver said:
If the Vehicle was Optimum certified then you should have 30 days or 2500Km to make your exchange.
http://www.gmoptimum.com/en/advantage/exchange-privilege

You must exchande an Optimum vehicle for another Optimum vehicle.
If you want to exchange for a new vehicle or a non-optimum used vehicle then you are starting from a fresh trade apraisal.
If the vehicle you bought wasn't certified through GM Canada's Optimum program for some reason then you are starting from a fresh trade apraisal.

If you don't have anything in writing that says that the vehicle you bought is indeed part of the Optimum program then there is every chance that the dealer misled you at the time of sale, not every used vehicle that an Optimum dealer sells has to be sold in the Optimum program(with associated fees paid to GM), used cars can still be sold as 'buyer beware' used cars but it is the resposibility of the dealer to clearly comunicate that difference at the time of sale.

Thanks for this info. I was not aware that is was only for exchange for another used vehicle and not for a new one. My dealer did end up bending over to help me out. I am very impressed. They are even going to replace and paint my rear bumper that has a deep scratch on it. How many dealer are going to do that after a sale. They even gave me a demo to drive for 2 days and will give me another one on Monday when I have to bring it back for the bumper.
Thanks for all the replies.

A call to GM Canada's customer service line should be able to help you shine some light on what's going on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts