GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GM Card "Dollars" : Anybody Use Them To Buy On a Weekend?

The quick question is (as the title states): Has anybody made a purchase on a weekend and used their GM Card Points/Dollars without any difficulties ... and if so - how was it done (how were your Points totals verified by the Dealer)?

I'm asking because - last time I tried to make a purchase on a Saturday, the dealer told me he "couldn't verify my GM Card Points because the Redemption Center was closed on the weekends". Huh? I find it hard to believe there isn't a 24/7 website a dealer can log into to verify a buyer's GM Card Points/Dollars total.

So I called the GM Card Redemption Center yesterday to ask them. They should know, right? Nope! This person recommended I just make sure I purchase on a weekday!

Are you kidding me?

Years ago when this happened to me, I told the Dealer to call The GM Card to verify the totals, but they wouldn't do that either because "there are too many Plans with different rules!" What the guy did offer to do was let me use $2,000 ("because I know you're good for that"), then come back later for the rest (another $2500). Of course, I said "No" to that because I knew as soon as I signed that Contract, the deal was done, and I would've left $2500 worth of Points on the table! Made me wonder if the Dealer was just dumb, or there was some benefit to him beating me out of $2500 in GM Points!

Reactions: zbrad

·
Registered
48 Posts
I made my last purchase on a Saturday (8/17/19) and the dealer had no issues looking up/applying my GM card points. Earnhardt Chevrolet in Chandler, AZ.

Reactions: Colt Hero

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've used my GM Buypower card earnings for the last 3 GM vehicles I've purchased, all on weekends, and all without issue. For the most recent purchase, my 2020 Terrain Denali, I accidentally forgot to bring my card with me but they were able to use the card details I provided from the Capital One app to look up and apply earnings. To my knowledge it's an automated system and doesn't require a 'live person' to redeem. Sales guy never 'called' anyone, just used an app on his computer to make it all happen.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yeah ... I'm thinking (now) that the Dealer who gave me the runaround that last time was actually lying because they knew that particular vehicle didn't qualify for GM Card Dollars usage: it was a leftover that had been sitting for 2.5 years that they were going to sell to me at 50% off MSRP ... but it had been "Put Into Service" by the Dealership (per Chevrolet), so that might've made it ineligible. And instead of telling me that, they made up the story about the Redemption Center being closed (which it actually was - so that wasn't a blatant lie), but they had Internet access anyway. This was 2009, so not like it was the "early days" of the Internet.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Isn't there a way to log in to the GM Card website and print a voucher showing current your "GM Dollars" balance? I could have sworn there was a way to do that. Then you take the voucher with you to the dealer and they can redeem them based on that.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Yeah ... I'm thinking (now) that the Dealer who gave me the runaround that last time was actually lying because they knew that particular vehicle didn't qualify for GM Card Dollars usage: it was a leftover that had been sitting for 2.5 years that they were going to sell to me at 50% off MSRP ... but it had been "Put Into Service" by the Dealership (per Chevrolet), so that might've made it ineligible. And instead of telling me that, they made up the story about the Redemption Center being closed (which it actually was - so that wasn't a blatant lie), but they had Internet access anyway. This was 2009, so not like it was the "early days" of the Internet.
Soooo . .. .. are you really buying something this time?? LOL And. . . . what ? ?

After +3 years across numerous forums researched. . . . discerning people are ever so curious. 🍿

If you have a dealer in mind. .. . you can have them verify the amount ahead of time also. The money can't be transferred to the dealer till you sign a sales invoice.
But we bought our Acadia on a Saturday, out of state and all they had to do was enter our card number and info on their computer to verify the GM Card $$$$.
And. . no .. . . you cannot use GM Card $$$$ on a vehicle if it was a dealer loaner, shuttle vehicle, or used in any way. It must be new and unused except for possibly a few test drive miles.

Reactions: RIT333

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Isn't there a way to log in to the GM Card website and print a voucher showing current your "GM Dollars" balance? I could have sworn there was a way to do that. Then you take the voucher with you to the dealer and they can redeem them based on that.
I'd be surprised. In this day and age of spoofing, spamming, fishing, and whatever other terms apply, I would think they'd be leery of anything but a human on the telephone or a secure website that they themselves log into.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Soooo . .. .. are you really buying something something this time?? LOL And. . . . what ? ?

After +3 years across numerous forums researched. . . . discerning people are ever so curious. 🍿

If you have a dealer in mind. .. . you can have them verify the amount ahead of time also. The money can't be transferred to the dealer till you sign a sales invoice.
But we bought our Acadia on a Saturday, out of state and all they had to do was enter our card number and info on their computer to verify the GM Card $$$$.
And. . no .. . . you cannot use GM Card $$$$ on a vehicle if it was a dealer loaner, shuttle vehicle, or used in any way. It must be new and unused except for possibly a few test drive miles.
No guaranty I buy anything! I'm just machine-gunning out offers right now (on Chevy Bolts). Who knows what'll happen, and I really don't care either way. I don't need a car ... but it's been 10 years, and my points are dropping because I'm well outside the 7-year window, and I'm not charging as much now as I did 7 years ago (not that that matters much, either).

Reactions: JayTee2014

·
Registered
2021 Equinox LS AWD 1.5T
14 Posts
Has anybody made a purchase on a weekend and used their GM Card Points/Dollars without any difficulties ... and if so - how was it done (how were your Points totals verified by the Dealer)?
I have a GM Extended Family card and I used my $1000 bonus earnings towards my new Equinox last month. The dealer handled everything and nobody asked questions. I just showed them the voucher that I received in the mail.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I purchased my 2020 GMC Terrain Denali with 3k miles on it, used as a demo/loaner, and was able to use ~$3k in GM BuyPower rewards towards the purchase (paid cash for the remainder of purchase price).

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a GM Extended Family card and I used my $1000 bonus earnings towards my new Equinox last month. The dealer handled everything and nobody asked questions. I just showed them the voucher that I received in the mail.
You mean that glossy placard that they mail out to members periodically with your Points total on it? Every time I get one of those it always seems to be way behind on my actual Points total ...

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I purchased my 2020 GMC Terrain Denali with 3k miles on it, used as a demo/loaner, and was able to use ~$3k in GM BuyPower rewards towards the purchase (paid cash for the remainder of purchase price).
Funny you mention this because I know I was told by GM Customer Service (back in the 2009 timeframe) that I could use my Points to buy a "demo" vehicle at a dealership as long as it "had less than 7,000 miles on it". I remember that mileage number being the cutoff.

But when JayTee2014 said "No, you can't do it", I was about to type this reply, but then figured ... "why not just call the GM Card to find out". The Redemption Center rep confirmed what JayTee2014 said: "you can't do it". But now I'm wondering (even though I don't even care because I won't buy a "demo"), which answer is correct!

I think it might have to do with whether or not the vehicle has been "placed into service". That's my guess.

OR - the Dealerships are playing games that GM isn't aware of?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
...the 1st time I redeemed my GM card earnings was on a Sat. buying my 1st Camaro in 1996. Back then, we just called the number on the back of the card to find out what the balance was, did the paperwork based on that number, but with the understanding it wasn’t “official” until they “withdrew” the points on Mon. I guess that’s so I didn’t go buy another Camaro on Sun and try to use the same points...but that was way back in ‘96...technology has progressed a little since then...

Now, back in late 2003, I wanted to use my points on a leftover ‘02 Saturn...it was an SL that hadn’t been made in over a year. It had never been titled, so using my points wasn’t a problem even though the ‘04’s were actually already out...

Best deal I ever got though was when I bought my Nox. I had $3500 saved up to redeem, added to all the other end of the year incentives (bought end of Dec., 2014), and I drove it off the lot for $23K including tax & title without a penny down or a trade in. It stickered for $29,900...

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Funny you mention this because I know I was told by GM Customer Service (back in the 2009 timeframe) that I could use my Points to buy a "demo" vehicle at a dealership as long as it "had less than 7,000 miles on it". I remember that mileage number being the cutoff.

But when JayTee2014 said "No, you can't do it", I was about to type this reply, but then figured ... "why not just call the GM Card to find out". The Redemption Center rep confirmed what JayTee2014 said: "you can't do it". But now I'm wondering (even though I don't even care because I won't buy a "demo"), which answer is correct!

I think it might have to do with whether or not the vehicle has been "placed into service". That's my guess.

OR - the Dealerships are playing games that GM isn't aware of?
Hmmm. . . maybe it's up to the dealer to do some creative paper work ?

I was told no GM Card money on a used/service/loaner vehicle. Or one that was previously titled. Perhaps some dealers do not title the loaners or shuttle vehicles?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Many times demo vehicles are not registered, which would make them technically "new" when finally sold. If you ever find yourself in the position of purchasing a demo that was never registered, you want to make sure that you get the benefit of the full factory warranty. For example, if it has a 3yr/36K mile warranty, and you are buying it with 3,000 miles on it, make sure the warranty begins on the day you take delivery and covers you for a full 3 years (or out to 39,000 miles.) Also, since it is still new/never registered, you should be eligible for any incentives and should be able to apply GM Rewards.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you ever find yourself in the position of purchasing a demo that was never registered, you want to make sure that you get the benefit of the full factory warranty.
From what GM told me back in 2009, it depends on whether the vehicle is "Placed into Service" or not. If it was "Placed into Service", that date starts the clock on the warranty coverage. You have to call GM with the VIN# to get this information. A Dealership may conveniently forget to tell you.

And what exactly does "Placed Into Service" mean? Is that synonymous with "vehicle has been registered at least once"? I don't know. When you buy a brand new, untitled, vehicle and then subsequently Register it, does the Manufacturer get a notice that changes the vehicle's status to "Placed into Service"? Is that how it works?

And can Dealerships really routinely drive their vehicles around town without registering them? Obviously they can do it for test-drives. And some Dealerships apparently let people take vehicles home over the weekend, so there's that too. But can a Dealership assign a vehicle to a Salesman, for example, and have that Salesman routinely drive the vehicle on city streets for months without ever registering it? I don't know.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Most dealerships that let a employee use a vehicle give them a used one. Usually it's the service mgr. or higher up management. My Tahoe was a trade in and the service mgr. was using it when I bought it used.
Only dealership owners, wife's, etc. get brand new ones to drive and even then they keep the mileage down. Those are usually the demo's you see advertised.
Test drives are only a few miles anyway with a hang on dealer tag.
States issue dealer tags to registered dealers as they are required to have a fleet insurance policy in force for all vehicles. In NJ they have new car dealer tags and used car dealer tags, says so on the plate.
If you see a screwed on new car dealer tag on a vehicle it's the owner or usually the parts guys truck. If you get pulled over your test driving or transporting the vehicle is the standard response to the LEO.
Registered would be the actual MSO being presented to a DMV for actual titling then it's in service and inputted into GM system. That's how GM tracks vehicles and the dealerships floor plan and inventory.
They want to know where their product is as dealer inventory is out there basically on credit. GM allots inventory to dealers by their credit level.
Today manufacturer's are very strict on inventory control due to black market issues like cars going into containers and being shipped overseas. For example when I bought my Harley new with cash the dealer who was out of state would not give me it until I came back with a title and plate from my state due to black market smuggling of vehicles.
When you buy a vehicle that's why your not leaving without at least a registered temporary tag.

Reactions: Colt Hero
1 - 17 of 17 Posts