GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone looked into the factory GM Brembos offered on other cars that should bolt right up to our suspension, and would anyone consider this modification if they are a bolt on mod?

·
Registered
225 Posts
i would start with what other cars share the hubs or lug pattern with our cars.

when i had my 2004 monte carlo. i actually drilled and re-tapped calibers for a Fbody camaro and they bolted right on. so you could be onto something here

i would also look at Grand Prix GXP front and rear calipers to see if you can make them work as well. they have larger rotors and calipers and have the same lug pattern i beleive, but look it up first.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Re:

I was thinking about trying the camero brakes and rotors

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ATS uses the same rotor diameter, but a different hub and bolt pattern, these calipers are the same as the 4 piston used on Camaro and others, it's a mod G8 owners make. Search ATS brembo or XTS brembo on eBay, a lot of cheap options. I chose these instead of the bigger CTS v option that Camaro and other owners use because I want it to fit inside the 18" wheel, which these fit in 17s on the ATS.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Sounds sexy! Can't wait to see what you come up with

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They have arrived! Beefier than I expected, but the mounting flange is identical, I will find out soon if they fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
909 Posts
Ok, you've got my interest now! What years exactly am I looking for? Is the "Caddillac" cast into the caliper, or is it something that thick paint will cover? I'm thinking I would paint the calipers gloss black, have a "Brembo" logo only decal made to go on the caliper, and then a set of cross drilled/slotted rotors, like Baer EradiSpeed rotors would look awesome!

Attaching a pic of a similar setup I have on my Z28...

That would look awesome on my Nox too!

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
TommyH4, the picture with the caliper attached looks like the brake pads are not making contact with the rotor 100%. Does the lower area of the pad nearest the center of the rotor actually touch any of the rotor, or is it sticking out into the non-machined area. It also looks like the clip that contacts the rotor when the brake pads are worn will actually not contact all of the rotor either.

Are these just a bit larger, or is it just the way the picture was taken?

·
Registered
281 Posts
BandDirector said:
Ok, you've got my interest now! What years exactly am I looking for?
Looks like it's the 2013+ ATS and 2014+ CTS

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ls973800 said:
TommyH4, the picture with the caliper attached looks like the brake pads are not making contact with the rotor 100%. Does the lower area of the pad nearest the center of the rotor actually touch any of the rotor, or is it sticking out into the non-machined area. It also looks like the clip that contacts the rotor when the brake pads are worn will actually not contact all of the rotor either.

Are these just a bit larger, or is it just the way the picture was taken?
The brembo caliper covers the full surface area of the rotor, so yes it now covers the portion of the rotor that the stock caliper never touched. So i plan on getting new rotors on my final install so the entire area will be the same thickness.

if anyone does this combo, get 2013-present ATS and new gen CTS front calipers, and use stock or any 5th Gen Camaro V6 Rotor 320mm, I ordered some StopTech slotted rotors. (camaro and equinox rotors are the same exact part.)

I also found out I need 15mm spacers to clear these beefy calipers and the stock wheels. If you already have Camaro wheels or other wheels with 10-55mm lots of caliper to back of wheel clearance you should be fine.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Whats the advantage over the stock calipers? Are the pads larger? Caliper bore larger? The rotor doesn't look larger since the dust shield is still visible..

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stock Piston is 1 60mm bore piston.

Brembo is 4 40mm bore piston. 3 times more area.

pads are larger.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
TommyH4 said:

pads are larger.
One thought that I had, is the stock master cylinder going to be up to the upgraded parts for pressure /volume.
Corvette has run multi-piston calipers for many years.
You could look to them for ideas.

·
Registered
262 Posts
TommyH4 said:

pads are larger.
Sounds like a worthy upgrade then.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Install complete!

Parts List:
2012 Camaro 18x7.5 (already had, Camaro 20's would be better because of the need for:)
15mm Eibach Wheels Spacers (Eibach 90.4.15.027.2 Pro-Spacer Kit)
StopTech Brake Rotors -126.62120SR/126.62120SL (not needed, but i wanted fresh rotors and an upgrade)
Cadillac ATS/CTS 2014+ front brembo calipers. ACDelco 172-2587 ACDelco 172-2586

all other suspension and brake components were reused from the stock calipers.

Permanent Modifications:
Trim dust shield
Cut original studs to clear wheel spacer adapters.

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
Looks good. I guess the spacers were needed due to your wheel choice? If you had the 20s it wouldnt be an issue? Or some other high clearance wheel for that matter...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts