GMC Terrain, Equinox, and SRX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See link below for all new EV Equinox and Blazer.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
2022 Equinox RS AWD, 1.5T 4cyl, Iron Gray Metallic, RS Plus, RS Leather, RS Advanced Safety
200 Posts
I would miss the throaty roar of the engine. Wait, the new one is a 4 banger ..... lol

Reactions: rednox301

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would miss the throaty roar of the engine. Wait, the new one is a 4 banger ..... lol
The new one would be between 400 and 800 volts.
"The 2022 Hummer has the unique ability to switch Its battery pack from its native 400volts to 800 volts for charging"

·
Registered
253 Posts
LOL.
That is why I still have a Mustang...

I am actually disappointed with the Equinox EV they have shown. I would have been much happier if they left it with a relatively upright rear end. The reduced roof height and sloped rear take a lot of the "utility" out of the SUV. They can call it what they want but it is basically a 4-door hatchback and not an SUV/CUV anymore.

·
Registered
646 Posts
LOL.
That is why I still have a Mustang...

I am actually disappointed with the Equinox EV they have shown. I would have been much happier if they left it with a relatively upright rear end. The reduced roof height and sloped rear take a lot of the "utility" out of the SUV. They can call it what they want but it is basically a 4-door hatchback and not an SUV/CUV anymore.
Most small CUVs these days are lifted hatchbacks. The Equinox EV looks great visually. If they can actually bring it to market at the $30,000 price, it will sell like crazy. If I was wanting an EV I would give it a look. But I don't want an EV. I would have no problem getting a hybrid, but an EV is a no-go for me.

·
Registered
253 Posts
totally agree it looks great and if it really can be had for $30,000 I'm sure it will sell. Problem is I want more Utility in my vehicles for daily use and travel so a small hatchback isn't going to cut it. My next purchase could well be an EV but out of the current offerings so far the only one that might work is the VW ID4. I hope better options become available before I'm in the market to replace the Nox.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 173k miles
4,189 Posts
I think the Equinox EV pictures look great ... but I agree ... it could prove to be too small. Maybe what'll happen is the Bolt will disappear (because of all the bad press with the fires), and the Equinox will essentially replace it in that size class. People who currently own the Bolt say, while it's relatively small, it's on the tall side, which makes it easy to get in and out of ... like a small SUV. I hope the Equinox retains that feature, at least, because I'd be looking for more function over form.

And echoing @arcee 's comment ... I'd be interested in a Hybrid option, too, but GM has (so far) stated they're not interested in the Hybrid technology because "it's too complicated". Seems like an odd comment when you look at Toyota and how much sustained success they've had with their Prius line. They put the Prius on the road - seemingly overnight - with outwardly, very little trouble. And here we are - nearly a quarter century later - they're still selling them, you see them everywhere you go (regardless of climate), and they seem to be very robust and reliable. Obviously not "too complicated" for Toyota ...

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm not sure I would bother with a hybrid. You still have all the maintenance issues of an ICE powertrain + whatever is required for battery/control electronics of a BEV. If I make the jump it will be both feet first into a BEV. By then BEVs will have been out for 15+ years and should also be shown to be reliable. At least over the battery warranty period, doubt I would keep one beyond that with the replacement cost.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'm not sure I would bother with a hybrid. You still have all the maintenance issues of an ICE powertrain + whatever is required for battery/control electronics of a BEV. If I make the jump it will be both feet first into a BEV. By then BEVs will have been out for 15+ years and should also be shown to be reliable. At least over the battery warranty period, doubt I would keep one beyond that with the replacement cost.
My parents are now 1yr into the ownership of their 2021 Toyota Venza hybrid. It goes in for scheduled service every 6 months. First service was just a check-up. 2nd service is an oil change. 3rd service is just a check-up, etc. They are seeing anywhere from 40-50mpg. They love it.

People ask them about it all the time. The biggest comment they hear is "Hybrid? Oh, I don't want a car I have to plug in." To which they respond "It is not that kind of hybrid. It drives like any other car. Just get in and go." Most people are very surprised and automatically assumed that ALL hybrids have to be plugged in. But that is kind of the automakers fault for not working harder to educate the public on Hybrid vs Plug-in Hybrid vs. Battery EV, etc.

The Venza has a 10yr/150,000mile hybrid battery warranty. Toyota has been selling hybrids long enough that they are very reliable.

The biggest issue with battery EVs is going to be the software. Kind of like a smartphone. It will be current when you get it, and for a few years after, but the hardware running the software will eventually age out and the car will no longer be able to accept the latest OTA updates or newer "apps" that the automaker wants to roll out. Then you are stuck and the only option is to either live with an outdated model or trade it in. Kind of like with the NAV systems in the 2nd Gen Equinox. There are no more map updates because the hardware can't accommodate them.

Battery EVs are something that might be better to lease and then get the latest and greatest every 3-5 years instead of trying to keep one running for 5-10 years.

·
Registered
10,642 Posts
ICE are the same way. You are stuck with the engine vintage when you bought the vehicle, even though they may make improvements to the drivetrain. Products are constantly changing.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Plus don't get me started on Toyota. By far the worst experience I have had with any vehicle I've owned was a Toyota.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Even the current vehicles are less useful. After '17 the lower roof line limited what you can fit in the hatch. IMO they took the U out of sport utility vehicle.
Look at what they have been driving in Europe. Thats our future vehicle choice. Small, under 1.5 L motors and full-size folks rubbing shoulders so no surprise of the shrinking process.
EV, not if you don't currently have a driveway. That's where the hybrid market shines, and GM will disappear from the urban non upscale market (most of us who aren't suburban) with a full EV lineup.
I can see alternate side of the street outlets coming soon to NYC to add to the parking wars and getting ticketed for running an extension cord across a sidewalk/street if they don't ban vehicles totally.

·
Registered
2011 Equinox 1LT V6 3.0L FWD 173k miles
4,189 Posts
@arcee : I've always liked the Venza, size-wise, design-wise ... it checks all the boxes for me. And a hybrid is icing on the cake. What turned me off was price! WAY too high, IMO! That's why I think these new GM EVs are going to be off-the-charts, pricewise. They're just putting that $30k "leader" pricepoiint out there right now to get your attention (and hopefully hold it for 18-24 more months) ... when they're planning on dropping the hammer on us!

@Silversn95 : I'm surprised about your Toyota experience. If it wasn't for my "GM Dollars/Points" on my credit card (at least a $4200 hedge every time I go to purchase a new vehicle), I'd most likely be buying Toyota. 30+ years now driving and buying cars, and I've never heard a bad word about Toyota vehicles from anyone I know or knew ... friends, family, co-workers. And they all must've loved them because they all bought Toyota again and again! As a kid growing up, my parents had the famous 1.8L engine in their 1980 Corolla. You couldn't kill it. OK, it was a no-frills car with flat seats, but you had 100% confidence that it was reliable as the day is long, taking you anywhere, anytime, in any conditions (in New England). My father eventually got rid of it because he thought it was too "bare bones", and wanted something more plush (heck - it was only the 2nd car that my mother drove ... he only drove it when his car went down ... a GM car, BTW ... LOL!). I think Toyota still, to this day, has an excellent reputation amongst the car-buying public for building high-quality vehicles. And they're the manufacturer that started the Hybrid Revolution with the smashing success of their Prius line.

I'd love to see the data on vehicle re-purchases: I'd bet you that when an owner gets burned by a defective GM vehicle, more of them turn to Toyota and Honda for their next vehicle. But when the same thing happens to an owner of a Toyota or Honda, more of them go right back to Toyota or Honda.

·
Registered
646 Posts
The Venza Limited is loaded for $40K. The only options are the pointless glass roof, and heads up display/rain sensing wiper package. Adding those two options will get you to $43K.

The base Venza LE is $33K which isn't bad and still very well optioned.

All Venzas are AWD so that is not an added cost.

·
Registered
253 Posts
@Silversn95 : I'm surprised about your Toyota experience. If it wasn't for my "GM Dollars/Points" on my credit card (at least a $4200 hedge every time I go to purchase a new vehicle), I'd most likely be buying Toyota. 30+ years now driving and buying cars, and I've never heard a bad word about Toyota vehicles from anyone I know or knew ... friends, family, co-workers. And they all must've loved them because they all bought Toyota again and again! As a kid growing up, my parents had the famous 1.8L engine in their 1980 Corolla. You couldn't kill it. OK, it was a no-frills car with flat seats, but you had 100% confidence that it was reliable as the day is long, taking you anywhere, anytime, in any conditions (in New England). My father eventually got rid of it because he thought it was too "bare bones", and wanted something more plush (heck - it was only the 2nd car that my mother drove ... he only drove it when his car went down ... a GM car, BTW ... LOL!). I think Toyota still, to this day, has an excellent reputation amongst the car-buying public for building high-quality vehicles. And they're the manufacturer that started the Hybrid Revolution with the smashing success of their Prius line.

I'd love to see the data on vehicle re-purchases: I'd bet you that when an owner gets burned by a defective GM vehicle, more of them turn to Toyota and Honda for their next vehicle. But when the same thing happens to an owner of a Toyota or Honda, more of them go right back to Toyota or Honda.
I gave Toyota a try on a '17 Rav4. Owned it for about 12 months before I said enough was enough and dumped it. It would be easier to say what it did better than the Nox than where it fails compared to the Nox. Good trade in value and larger cargo area. That is it. By every other measure you care to mention the Nox has been superior. It was the transmission issue that was the final straw with that vehicle but to be honest, it simply was not good at anything. Too noisy, too many signs of poor design/manufacture, poor fuel economy (compared to the Nox)...etc. I could go on and on but you get the point. I have since learned that both my mom and sister who also own Toyotas ('06 Rav4, '11 Sienna respectively) have had nothing but troubles with them. Neither one is planning to get another. I believe Toyota has fallen far from where they stood in regards to quality. The Toyota of today is not the same company it was in the '90s. They have been slipping ever since they starting going after the #1 sales spot that GM pretty much owned up until now.
Toyota somehow still has a perception of high quality but reality is quite different. I am still a member of a Rav4 forum and aside from the Toyota fan boys that are willfully blind, a lot of members are starting to see recurring issues with their vehicles that shouldn't be happening. Examples - roof leaks through roof rail attachments, shaking side mirrors, distorting/melting exterior trim... etc. How can anyone say these are signs of high quality?

·
Registered
10,642 Posts
Colt, you words mimic my thoughts and opinions about Toyotas. I owned a vibe, which was basically a rebadged Toyota, and I never had one issue with it. It is the GM points that keeps me in the fold. I have already talked to my Chevy GM about purchasing a Buick or GMC next time because they have a sister dealer that sells them. He said he can take care of me. Although, I do have to day that I have been happy with my GM autos so far. But, after I get burned on e, I will be at a Japanese dealer for my next vehicle.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
But, after I get burned on e, I will be at a Japanese dealer for my next vehicle.
Let me know if the grass is greener over there.
My guess is it isn't.

Reactions: John04VUE

·
Registered
253 Posts
We also had a Vibe ('09) and was the reason we gave Toyota a try on our next purchase it was pretty reliable but when I look back at it the few issues it did have I should have taken as warning signs. It had three issues from what I recall and all of them were a first and only occurrence I have had these issues on any car I have owned. These are a loose rear view mirror, clunking intermediate steering shaft and finally a rusted/broken engine oil dipstick tube. The dipstick tube surprised me as the vibe was oil guarded every year since new. The vibe was also very noisy with lots of road, wind and powertrain noise just like the '17 Rav4. Our Sonic, just like the Nox, has proven to be a better car all around by comparison.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
I or my family have owned owned several Toyotas. They are good cars. But to put a more balanced perspective on it, they have not been perfect.
My 3rd new car I ever bought was a 1978 Toyota Corolla SR5 hatch back. It served me well but fenders and rear end started rusting out with holes within 3 years just like other cars. Engine was ok, and MPG was equal to other cars in the market at the time. Nothing special.

My dad bought a 1981 Corolla wagon. I inherited it from him in 1987. It was much like my '81 although dad had it rust proofed , yet the rear bumper (under the black plastic overlay) rusted out like pie crust. And the vinyl seats in the front cracked and split in only 45,000 miles.

Jump ahead to early 2000's and the Toyota Sienna minivan and cars with the 3.0L V6 had the infamous oil sludge seizing issue that spawned law suits and recalls. That sustained 4 years of misery for customers, loss of use and the recall/repairs never really resolved the issue.

Then there was the fatal 2009 to 2011 " Unintended Acceleration " that Toyota tried to blame on everything from misplaced owner floor mats to "Driver Error" until it was proven to be flawed designs before Toyota finally accepted responsibility.
There is more, but reader should get the point.

LINK : - 2009–2011 Toyota vehicle recalls - Wikipedia

I am not anti Toyota or down on any particular car maker, since I've owned +40 mostly new vehicles from 1974 to the present. These included brands from Nissan, Dodge/Plymouth, Chevrolet, Pontiac, Mitsubishi, and the several more.
The point is, even now there is virtually no brand that is problem free especially with all the new tech added in with each new year.

Regarding EV, Hybrids, etc. . . . for me and wife, I would prefer something like the mentioned Venza without the high price. I've seen them and they are attractive. I haven't been interested enough to test drive and don't know it they are roomy enough for our needs. I do know that we would not like anything with the downward slopping or low rear hatch height of many vehicles no matter the brand. And many have this design sad to say.

At this time, we are pleased and I am glad to have purchased the 2019 Acadia SLT we got in June 2019 new for $30,779 with the 3.6L LGX V6 engine.
The deal was and still is amazing for an SUV only 6 " longer and 2" wider and the same height as our previous 2015 Equinox. It has all and more than our 2015 Equinox LTZ had, more interior and cargo room, and the MPG is comparable, if not a tad better, getting 22MPG in mixed city and 28 to 34 MPG highway depending on weather, road, speed, traffic and the other usual travel conditions. We only wish the current pandemic situation would drastically diminish so we could use it as the main travel vehicle instead of a garage queen.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts